grunge-/alternative-/glam-rock, whatever... asking for hints...

pablovschby

hi there,

mixing also is a matter of taste. However, the mixes, posted below do really appeal to me. I'm a fetishist of much reverb and high gained guitars. Well, either you like it or you don't.

Notice: Not one of these 2 tracks are mastered, they are just mixed until now. So the volume is really gently. I read a lot about (multiband-) compressing, limiting, equalizing (different frequencies for each instrument..blabla), mixing, mastering..... Now, it's my turn to get the practice by mixing my own songs, cause I want to learn those things by doing. Of course, I really know that it takes a lot of years to get it perfectly, ...... but anywhere, you have to start.

So, I would be happy, if you just gave me hints, what to do, that it sounds better.

da_mixed

and

bw_mixed

In the first step, I'd like to get a useful mix of those tracks that I can master and finally, provide them on my page.

Important for me are the ratios of the Drums / Crashes / Toms / HH's / Bass / Guitars / Voice. Do the drums exhibit enough pressure? Or have the guitars again be adjusted bisier?

Please refer to bw_mixed or da_mixed when you're answering, cause otherwise, I don't have an idea, which song you mean...

Are the mixes just crap of amateurs/scrubs? Will I have to read another 1000 of pages about mixing, before I get it? Or is it "ok", ..... for a scrub?

Or is it ok, to let the mixes as they are, cause they do really appeal to me and every instrument can be heared nice? Is it into that "useful area/scope", that we call a good mix for a beginner?

I already thank you for possible answers.

edit:
- please also do critisize, if it's really, really, really bad stuff. Not if you like the lyrics, just relating to the mix.
- of course, I can prove, when I made these records.

Last edited:
Listened to the second song, "bw". Yeah, you definitely do like reverb and delay. :D

The vocal's well done, but has a bit of sibilance. The snare's nice... cymbals and toms sound artificial. Nice balance between the vocal and guitar. A lead guitar line would add a lot. The high reverb level reduces the clarity of the tracks.

Tim

Good song, you've got some great sounds, the main thing I would mention is that I feel like I'm "swimming" through the reverb; you may want to pull it back a little bit becuase I feel like there is some clarity being lost. I suppose that is partially a stylistic choice, though. If you could, real drums would help a lot, I bet. That second song reminds me of QOTSA a lot, which I like. Very cool, man!

Oh yeah, don't worry about get loud volumes while mastering, either. Don't completely squash the mix with a compressor. Anyway.............. :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reviews.
but has a bit of sibilance
Well, for me, it's quite ok like that. The De-Esser is set very moderate, maybe I'm gonna change it a bit before the next export.
cymbals and toms sound artificial.
Hmm, I did change the sustain of the toms. I had to compress the cymbals extremely, cause the volume of them variated too much. Some of them couldn't be heard.
A lead guitar line would add a lot.
Do you mean a lead guitar during the refrains or verses while singing or just as an own new part in the song as sologuitar-part?
The high reverb level reduces the clarity of the tracks.
----------
the main thing I would mention is that I feel like I'm "swimming" through the reverb; you may want to pull it back a little bit becuase I feel like there is some clarity being lost
I lowed the reverb in the track "bw" and did some other changes. Maybe, tomorow, I'm gonna pull back the reverb of the voices in "da" a bit as well... I try.
Good song, you've got some great sounds
thx a lot :)
If you could, real drums would help a lot, I bet.
I know, I know.... I don't play them. Maybe I'll find someone anytime.
That second song reminds me of QOTSA a lot, which I like. Very cool, man!
It's obvious..... I listen to their music often ^
Oh yeah, don't worry about get loud volumes while mastering, either. Don't completely squash the mix with a compressor. Anyway..............
Hmm. I don't know the word in english, in german we say pumping. A compressor can pump, but just if you use it wrong. Maybe it's that what you mean. Moderate application, is what I'm gonna try. And of course I'm gonna post these mastered complete versions here, before I'm gonna share them over the internet. When finished mastering these tracks, I'm gonna upload them on my homepage pablovschby.com . So go there in a few week (at least 3) if you like this music.

Thanks, here the new mixes: I leveled up the guitars in "bw" again a bit and pulled the reverb back in this song. Then in both songs I changed the sustain of the Toms.

Further critics are welcome.

da_mixed

bw_mixed

Reactions: XLR
I REALLY LIKED the vocals. Perfectly in key, great melody, nice delivery.
Drums are programmed, I'm guessing. If not, sorry, but sounds like they are. Final production has too much processing...compression, it sounds like, but probably the true signal has been backseated by either effecting too heavily or not strong enough of an input signal, and I guess the latter.
Great tune, great vocals, great vibe. Just work on the production and you will be set.
Just realixed, instead of guessing, you know what you did and how much. Can you tell us what plug-ins you used on the final "2-buss" and/or the tracks. I would love to know, and what brands as well.

Wow, thanks!
Drums are programmed, I'm guessing.
You're right. See below
Final production has too much processing...compression, it sounds like, but probably the true signal has been backseated by either effecting too heavily or not strong enough of an input signal, and I guess the latter.
Not strong enough of an input signal? How do you mean that?

Ähm, sry, don't understand.....

do you mean a low peak while recording???? Then too much normalizing is needed for getting the waves to -0.0dB???? So,....... normalizing caused the distortion, is it that, what you've meant?
Just work on the production and you will be set.
What else should I work on? Mastering effects? It's loud enough, I think....... I don't like over-produced things and other tracks will follow...
Can you tell us what plug-ins you used on the final "2-buss" and/or the tracks. I would love to know, and what brands as well.
Ok:

Drums: Drumkit from Hell2
Bass: ibit freeware-bass-Synthie (I'm gonna play in the Bass myself, in future...)
Guitars: Yamaha guitar > Engl tube preamp > palmer speaker simulator (cause of flat&neighbours...) > m-audio-card > computer
voices: akg c3000-b

that's it. Many lines recorded 2 times.....
good night.

son't go to sleep just yet, I am just in the prime of my wine buzz ;)
Nah, the comment was more towards you using synthesized gear, sure, but synthesized gear, even to an analog freak such as me, can sound very convincing. It is the overall effects you are using either on the overall mix or per instrument I am curious about. That is what I think is drowing the sound, the add-on effects, not the tracks themselves. I just want to know whether you are effecting your bass-synthie and DKFH2 DURING the tracking, or adding effects at the mixdown or both. :confused:

Hmm, no that is one Cubase SX2-file. All the instruments are in 1 File. Effects are set nice in my opinion......

I hope, I did understand right, did I? But here in europe, it's now a quarter past 2 a.m., so I have to go to sleep. :D .........in a sense. Will wait for your answer.......5 minutes :) :eek: ;) :cool:

Back