Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grindcore mix (feedback/assistance desired)

Thanks

Grindcore mix (feedback/assistance desired)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys I play in a three piece grindcore band. We've recorded a track - not for anything serious - just for MySpace but I'd like a bit of feedback and a bit of a hand with the mix.

We recorded drums with 4 mics (kick, snare, overhead, ride bell). The kicks sound lifeless and sludgy because our drummer needs new kicks. I have 2 guitar tracks and 2 vocal tracks running. No bass. We will be recording bass for our professional debut next year (professionally recorded too).

I would like to know:

1. What do you think of the overall instrument levels (all drum mics vs. guitars) and placement thereof? It's hard to get a good balance with something so chaotic, we need big guitars, the snare to cut through, and the overheads/kick to have decent levels.

2. Most importantly I need feedback on mixing the vocals. Placement is proving to be a bastard as they get a little lost in the chaos. I'd also like to thicken them up a little bit.

And before anyone says anything - yes this is noise. Thats the point. I'll post the MP3 in a second.

As harmony grows ever more complicated today, musical art seeks out combinations more dissonant, stranger, and harsher for the ear. Thus, it comes ever closer to the noise-sound. -Luigi Russolo

Thanks

Thanks
    Link doesn't work.

Besides, why would you be proud of noise? Anyone can make noise. Don't hide under false disclaimers.

Thanks
    Damn:

http://www.grindheadrecords.com/musi...%20Burden2.mp3

I didnt mean literal noise. It's not noise-core or ambiance or the like, it's extreme grindcore. We usually play at 330-360bpm. The desired production effect (not for myself but for bigger professional recordings) is whats known as a wall of sound - to some the wall of guitars and insanely quick drumming sounds like noise. It's hard for first timers to discern the riffs and textures of the guitar. Refer to Pig Destroyer, Rotten Sound and Nasum.

Dont judge what you haven't heard, and I dont believe I need a false disclaimer to justify one of the styles of music I love to you. Whether you understand or approve of the style doesnt matter. It's certainly a bit less dull than KISS or Judas Priest.

Regardless it is the extreme, post-modern progression and evolution of some of the bands you like such as the Sex Pistols.

Thanks
    almost too good of a recording for a grind band, to be honest.

I don't like the sound of the drums but that's more the set than the recording.

good mix for the genre.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerestricted View Post
    almost too good of a recording for a grind band, to be honest.

I don't like the sound of the drums but that's more the set than the recording.

good mix for the genre.
    Thanks mate I really appreciate it. The kit definitely need to be reskinned - and a few cymbals replaced.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ausgrindslaught View Post
    Damn:

http://www.grindheadrecords.com/musi...%20Burden2.mp3

I didnt mean literal noise. It's not noise-core or ambiance or the like, it's extreme grindcore. We usually play at 330-360bpm. The desired production effect (not for myself but for bigger professional recordings) is whats known as a wall of sound - to some the wall of guitars and insanely quick drumming sounds like noise. It's hard for first timers to discern the riffs and textures of the guitar. Refer to Pig Destroyer, Rotten Sound and Nasum.

Dont judge what you haven't heard, and I dont believe I need a false disclaimer to justify one of the styles of music I love to you. Whether you understand or approve of the style doesnt matter. It's certainly a bit less dull than KISS or Judas Priest.

Regardless it is the extreme, post-modern progression and evolution of some of the bands you like such as the Sex Pistols.
    I wasn't judging you, fucktard. And I'm not asking for justification. I don't care what the fuck you listen to. My comments were meant as a "don't sell yourself short" type thing. You called your music "noise". I'm saying that kind of label undermines what you're trying to do. It wasn't meant as a negative, although maybe it should have been.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    I wasn't judging you, fucktard. And I'm not asking for justification. I don't care what the fuck you listen to. My comments were meant as a "don't sell yourself short" type thing. You called your music "noise". I'm saying that kind of label undermines what you're trying to do. It wasn't meant as a negative, although maybe it should have been.
    Haha oh well then I apologize. I took it the wrong way. I must be too defensive.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ausgrindslaught View Post
    Haha oh well then I apologize. I took it the wrong way. I must be too defensive.

Cheers.
    Okay, no problem.

Thanks
    C'mon someone else has to have an opinion. Vocals too loud? Guitars too noisy?

Thread Information