Grind

texture

Sup guys! This is my first recording with the new setup or really ever. It's not finished as I want to add something like a bridge and fixup and add some more variety in the lead guitar. Originally I though I might add lyrics but instrumental guitar has a special place in my heart so... What do you think of the mix? Any other feedback? Thanks a ton!

Grind by texture | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Edit: Just uploaded a new version of the track on 2/22

Last edited:
How'd you record your lead?

It sounds uncomfortably similar to the FL Studio MIDI guitars.

lol, any links to FL MIDI guitar I can hear? It's SM57 on Marshall 40w combo with a js1200. I had setup the eq on that track after recording that part with a strat and didn't re-adjust with the ibanez.

Edit: Found one problem. Had a low cut at 1k on the track that I didn't see. Removed it and some key tone has returned.

This entire process is amazing, from how I'm listening to music to building a whole new realm of experience with sound. Time to find a reference track.

Edit 2: Ok, updated the mix adding some automation. Some parts of the source tracks suck but I figure I'll use this as a tracer bullet to understand as much of the full process as possible. Might be doing some things out of order but whatev. 'tis a blast.

Last edited:
The guitar on the left sounds strange. Nasally, but kind of cool. I think I might use that sound a little more sparingly. But for short bits it's cool.

The lead tone sounded good.

THe song could use a bass. The low end is only kick.

The mix leans to the left. There isn't enough on the right to balance out that guitar on the left.

lol, any links to FL MIDI guitar I can hear? It's SM57 on Marshall 40w combo with a js1200. I had setup the eq on that track after recording that part with a strat and didn't re-adjust with the ibanez.
This track is a good example of what I'm hearing. You've got the dynamics that shows that it's a real guit and not a keyboard, but the tone has a similar vibe.

What's your signal chain on your guitars? It's very high gain, obviously, and it doesn't sound like it ever actually went through a speaker or microphone.

What's your signal chain on your guitars? It's very high gain, obviously, and it doesn't sound like it ever actually went through a speaker or microphone.

Ibanez js1200 on Marshall 40w combo mic'd with an SM57 straight into my audio interface. I updated the recording to remove a low cut at 1k that I had on the lead track by mistake.

Next I want to re-record the lead and add a bass as TripleM suggested. Now have a much better idea of the quality I need out of the performance and recording since some things are really annoying on repeated listening. Then I'll take another solid try at mixing.

Agree with VHS. Bit too much gain on the rthym guitar making it sound fizzy, and it leans to far to the left. I'd also drop the level some as the drums are too far back

Spent some time recording the lead again and got something put together from my several tracks that turned into. Will post it once I've mixed it taking into account all the great feedback I've gotten on it.

Latest verison

Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback. Here's the new version. I recorded a couple new tracks for the lead, tuned the eq on each part with GB's GraphicEQ, and added a midi bass throughout. Looking forward to any feedback you have which I'll most likely apply to the next one. Thanks again.

Grind by texture | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I've decided to work on composition before rerecording much of this. The mix I'll have to tackle once it's better structured and interesting. Thanks for checking it out.

Second mix is certainly better than the first. Only on iMac speakers, but sounds fairly good. Lead guitar is still too loud, but better than first. Sounds a little flat, but that might just be because the lead is so loud it's covering everything else.

Back