Greg_L writes his own song!

First impressions...without reading any replies...Dead Kennedys, then maybe Ramones...then basically my next thought was, this rocks.

Those drum fills are delicious

Hey Greg,

I have to admit that I was prepared to not like this because I read the lyrics at home a day or 2 ago, and didn't get to listen to it until today. Well, damn it. It's catchy, and the lyrics work well in the context of the music.

It just goes to show you how lyrics, standing on their own, are impossible to analyze (at least in the rock/punk/pop genres). In the songwriting forum there's LOTS of "how are these lyrics" threads. Had you posted these lyrics there sans music, they probably would have been criticized fairly heavily. However, they are PERFECT for this song.

Anyway, I'm just trying to say that it's a neat little fun rocking song. I like it. The cowbell breakdown is definitely the money shot of the whole thing. It's killer!

[Heh heh....he said money shot...]

I think a slightly higher harmony on "boys night out" might be nice. I think right now there's just a doubled unison on those 3 words, right? Maybe that would wreck the punk/hammerhead* feel of the whole thing, though.

[*I have no idea what that means :confused:]

Alright...I love the cowbell stops.

I'm not into punk, but this song made me stand up, walk over to the fella next to my office cube and THROAT PUNCH HIM for no reason. Awesome song Greg.

The recording sounds great. Drums sound good! Love the guitar solo...can't really say anything negative about the song, although i may lose my job over it.

Don't stop writing, even if you think ithe lyrics may be 'silly' or whatever...the more you write, the better at it you'll get

Cholo.

The solo was the key to the idea germinating in my scone.
I knew you could do this sort of stuff.
Thanks again Ray. :)

First impressions...without reading any replies...Dead Kennedys, then maybe Ramones...then basically my next thought was, this rocks.

Those drum fills are delicious
Thanks a lot. I'm a big fan of both DK and the Ramones, so that's a great compliment. Thank you! :D

Hey Greg,

I have to admit that I was prepared to not like this because I read the lyrics at home a day or 2 ago, and didn't get to listen to it until today. Well, damn it. It's catchy, and the lyrics work well in the context of the music.

It just goes to show you how lyrics, standing on their own, are impossible to analyze (at least in the rock/punk/pop genres). In the songwriting forum there's LOTS of "how are these lyrics" threads. Had you posted these lyrics there sans music, they probably would have been criticized fairly heavily. However, they are PERFECT for this song.

Anyway, I'm just trying to say that it's a neat little fun rocking song. I like it. The cowbell breakdown is definitely the money shot of the whole thing. It's killer!

[Heh heh....he said money shot...]
Thanks a lot Andy. Lyrics are definitely not my specialty. I figured a song like this doesn't need to have any deep lyrical content, which is good because I'm pretty shallow anyway. I just wanted something fun and halfway catchy. I think the goofy lyrics and cowbell give it some "fun factor". :p

I think a slightly higher harmony on "boys night out" might be nice. I think right now there's just a doubled unison on those 3 words, right? Maybe that would wreck the punk/hammerhead* feel of the whole thing, though.

[*I have no idea what that means :confused:]
I tried yelling "boy's night out" in different registers for the backups. There's 2 in there that are slightly higher, but it sounded "bigger" to me with them all being pretty close to the main vocal. So I put the higher ones a little lower in the background mix. They're there, but not very prominent.

Alright...I love the cowbell stops.

I'm not into punk, but this song made me stand up, walk over to the fella next to my office cube and THROAT PUNCH HIM for no reason. Awesome song Greg.

The recording sounds great. Drums sound good! Love the guitar solo...can't really say anything negative about the song, although i may lose my job over it.

Don't stop writing, even if you think ithe lyrics may be 'silly' or whatever...the more you write, the better at it you'll get

Cholo.
Lol @ throat punch. I guess I get my message across. Thanks. :D

I don't think I'll ever write anything overly-serious. I'm not a very serious person, so it would be damn hard for me to write anything thought-provoking or deep and meaningful. In most of the music I listen to and am inspired by, lyrical content takes a far backseat to the drive and overall feel of the song. I think I'm safer sticking with that philosophy for my own stuff. I'm more about driving drums and guitars than I am lyrics. :D

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate all the compliments and support. :)

I haven't read other's posts yet, but thought I'd throw out some comments.

Obviously its a very punk/Motorhead blend. It's short and sweet and gets right to the point. Straight-ahead arrangement. It has a handful of elements from the era such as the cow-bell thingy and abrupt drum fills to keep the playfullness. Good drum programming (I assume its programmed).

Overall the mix is pretty good. Some suggestions come to mind however. The lead guitar passages need to cut through more. In general it seems the guitars need to be more raw and gritty, less gain perhaps. I think you should have added more unison vocal parts as well, not harmonies, but as if all band member are blasting out the same thing. I think that will give a live element that this type song might benefit from.

It represents the genera and is definently fun.

Daren

I haven't read other's posts yet, but thought I'd throw out some comments.

Obviously its a very punk/Motorhead blend. It's short and sweet and gets right to the point. Straight-ahead arrangement. It has a handful of elements from the era such as the cow-bell thingy and abrupt drum fills to keep the playfullness. Good drum programming (I assume its programmed).

Overall the mix is pretty good. Some suggestions come to mind however. The lead guitar passages need to cut through more. In general it seems the guitars need to be more raw and gritty, less gain perhaps. I think you should have added more unison vocal parts as well, not harmonies, but as if all band member are blasting out the same thing. I think that will give a live element that this type song might benefit from.

It represents the genera and is definently fun.

Daren

Them's real drums man! The only programming was my brain telling my feet and hands when to whack the drums. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the comments. I experimented with a cleaner "Ramones" style tone, but it was too chunky. I was aiming for more of a barrage of guitar to follow the bass, so I went with a slightly more metal-ish tone. I think I agree that the lead can come through more.

Thanks for listening. :)

"Boys Night Out" is code for a night of D&D in my neck of the woods.....

By the way, song is pretty good, in a brutal hamfisted sort of way...;)
Just kidding, great job! This may get some play at our after LARP mixer next weekend!

"Boys Night Out" is code for a night of D&D in my neck of the woods.....

By the way, song is pretty good, in a brutal hamfisted sort of way...;)
Just kidding, great job! This may get some play at our after LARP mixer next weekend!

I don't know if thats good or bad. :eek: :D

You found a perfect genre for those B8's

:D

Seriously..

LOVED the tune and the recording... Especially the 'harmonies' in the chorus... Totally delivers the message of the song...

Waiting for track 2...

:D

I enjoyed the ride:D

While punk is not my cup of tea, the song had a nice flow to it. I really liked the bridge!!

Congrats mate!

Cheers!

Will listen ASAP, real busy right now, read your lyrics, I'm thinkin 'Police Truck' by the Dead Kennedys; you better not disappoint!

Hah that solo is pure DK!!!

Is that main riff a tribute to motorhead though? The performance is fantastic on this, your recordings are always amazing. It's got that real US punk vibe, like The Vandals, I really like it man. And you've proved you can write cool tunes as well as play them!

Next: Police Truck please!!!

I enjoyed the ride:D

While punk is not my cup of tea, the song had a nice flow to it. I really liked the bridge!!

Congrats mate!

Cheers!
Thanks a lot. :)

sounds awesome! reminds me of some good old misfits!
I love The misfits. Thanks a lot. :D
Hah that solo is pure DK!!!

Is that main riff a tribute to motorhead though? The performance is fantastic on this, your recordings are always amazing. It's got that real US punk vibe, like The Vandals, I really like it man. And you've proved you can write cool tunes as well as play them!

Next: Police Truck please!!!

Thanks a lot. I guess that first phrase of the basic riff does kinda sound like "Ace of Spades", but I promise I didn't intentionally rip it off. :o

"Police Truck" is a great song. I did "Too Drunk to Fuck" not too long ago. Maybe it's time for another DK song. :D

Back