Grade me! GRADE ME!

Briski

The first song here at my MySpace page, called Flunk. (We'll talk about the other one later in another thread).

http://www.myspace.com/brianswaves

I have a list of history/excuses/whines that I'll post in a separate reply to this thread, but for now you can listen to it with an uncolored opinion.

The bass and drums are loops and all the guitar parts are me.

Thanks!

i really liked the first thirty seconds of it and then i felt like something had to happen and that didn't. when it finaly changes that change doesn't cut it.

great playing though, very cool bass sound and decent mix allover.

drums are ... generic but also don't bother me at all in the beginning of the song, i kinda like that delay effect (but i'm a sucker for spacey effects ;-) )

this would make a great intro for a song.

now let's talk about the other one in another thread.

This was originally a test (thus the name "flunk") just to fool around with my new Audition 2.0 software but then it kind of grew on me.

I was a little handicapped because the recording of the first guitar part was terrible, one of the first recordings I did but I think I did a passable job of making it palatable. I really like the sound of the second guitar part but there's a lot of limiting on it to get it that way.

Fader, thanks for the input. Yeah, it's not much of a song, just a fragment really. I didn't do much to the drum loops beside EQing to fit into the mix. The delay on the first part came with the loop. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

I will give it a C+. Not bad, has a decent feel. Needs a b section and more variety. Sound quality is OK. Needs more going on in general, maybe a hammond organ patch. :)

Lopsided mix, all gits in right.
That was jamming, not a song.
Sounds, original. :D

scale 1-10... a 6... no... Complexity and skill aren't the flavor of the month, its more about sounds and groove.. I'll rate you at 7.

skipping to next thread and song, Criteria will be more harsh. :cool:

Jouni said:
Lopsided mix, all gits in right.
That was jamming, not a song.
Sounds, original. :D

scale 1-10... a 6... no... Complexity and skill aren't the flavor of the month, its more about sounds and groove.. I'll rate you at 7.

skipping to next thread and song, Criteria will be more harsh. :cool:

Thanks.

But I don't have the slightest clue what you're trying to say.

Sounds pretty cool. Needs a key change and the bass could come up a bit. I think the clean blues lead has a bit of room in it that I'm not fond of. Other than that it's a bit dry. I think it could use a larger warm reverb on it.

Sound wise I think C+ is about right. Playing is good. Just needs a bit of polishing:)

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
I think the clean blues lead has a bit of room in it that I'm not fond of.

Yeah, I really hate how that first solo sounds, I just like the performance.

I've been wrestling with just memorizing it and rerecording it. I might give it a try.

Thanks.

Back