Good Vibrations (Cover)

Years ago, I was asked to do a cover of this classic Beach Boys track for a Brian Wilson "Pet Sounds"/SMiLE era tribute album. Unfortunately, I was never thrilled with the mix, as it sounded rather sterile and, well, quite bland. Because of that, I always wanted to go back and take another crack at remixing, and now that I finally have, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Good Vibrations (Cover) by The M&M Tune Factory | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks!

Not sure about the hum-dee-dah section, purely personally as the 'normal' format goes straight to the aaaah. Clever treatment though. Out of the whole thing, I think the only thing that I didn't like was the organ tone, but that's personal preference really. Nice arrangement. The original Beach Boys track is also quite awash with reverb and yours much more modern and cleaner. Nice one.

Another great cover from you.

However, I note that, just like Fool on the Hill, you have opted to use the mixing techniques from the sixties. They were done then of necessity, and not necessarily as a deliberate artistic choice. I can understand why you might want to recreate a sound of the era, but I (personally) would find the track more satisfying to listen to with a more realistic (and now achievable) stereo landscape.

I've impressed. Good Vibrations is a masterpiece, and your vocal treatments are excellent. The only thing that really stood out to me was the lack of the strong vibrato in the "theramin" parts and the drumming seemed to lack some of the punch that Hal Blaine put on the track.

However, If I hadn't been listening to the original for 50 years, none of this would have been noticed. You've done Brian's work proud.

Back