Good Vibrations [Cover]

So, recently, someone commissioned me to do a cover version of the Beach Boys' classic, "Good Vibrations," for a SMiLE covers compilation album. So I took a stab at it and here was the result...

Good Vibrations

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

What a great song-Good job on the harmonies they seem spot on. The mix seems kind of sterile to me-first the snare drum is too distant and not a great snare choice in my opinion. I don't like the theremin sound, too loud in the mix or too shrill or both. The bass vocal gets a bit lost when everything kicks in. Great performance and the sound is really clean, maybe it's just too clean sounding for me, seems pretty sparse on reverb even though there is some extreme verbs here and there. I don't know, it sounds great it could just use some punch, like that is one of the great bass lines ever during the chorus and i'm not feeling it! Anyways-I don't think i've heard such an accurate representation of this song, must have taken alot of work. Well done.

What a great song-Good job on the harmonies they seem spot on. The mix seems kind of sterile to me-first the snare drum is too distant and not a great snare choice in my opinion. I don't like the theremin sound, too loud in the mix or too shrill or both. The bass vocal gets a bit lost when everything kicks in. Great performance and the sound is really clean, maybe it's just too clean sounding for me, seems pretty sparse on reverb even though there is some extreme verbs here and there. I don't know, it sounds great it could just use some punch, like that is one of the great bass lines ever during the chorus and i'm not feeling it! Anyways-I don't think i've heard such an accurate representation of this song, must have taken alot of work. Well done.

^^ My thoughts exactly. I just couldn't figure out how to say it. Amazingly accurate in many respects, but maybe lacking a more visceral element to it...sounds like it was very carefully and skillfully constructed.

Thanks, guys. Actually, the issues you brought up are issues that have bugging me, as well, but I'm not quite sure how to go about some of it. For instance, I've been bugged by the bass vocal as well and have been trying a lot of different EQing to get it to fit and, while it's far better than when I started, it still doesn't sit quite right to me.

And the visceral element is a good point. There's a certain ambience that I'm trying to get, which I still don't think I've quite gotten. Back to the drawing board!

By the way, the other thing I noticed is that when I was playing around with it in mono, it sounded way punchier.

I really enjoyed the style separation of the songs instruments. Really led my ear around and then dead center by the chorus. Nice work there. Vocals were really surprisingly good! Sometimes when you click play on someone's cover, there's that cringe moment you know? No cringe here, it was "whew, this is good!" nice job and I know from what you say, you'll only keep improving. I hope someday to follow rank!

Excellent stuff all over except, as mentioned, that it sounds like it's been to the cleaners.
A bit of attitude & grit'd be good.
On a mix line - I don't like the drums off to the side.
I know it's in line with the type of stereo mixes done in this early period but MOST of thsoe stereo mixes (like the 1st Beatles stereo stuff) are awful.
Personally I'd remix with the drums up the middle OR mix in mono.
Get some dirt on your hands!!

Back