Good Vibrations Cover

Well Done!

A daunting task indeed to take on this tune, but you did it well. I wouldn't know where to start with this song. About the only thing that I had an issue with was some of the digital keys (not the Moog thing or the barroom piano though...that was great!). What stands out? You nailed the background vocals totally, and you managed to preserve the original vibe of this tune. Todd Rundgren did this tune back in the 70's and he did the same (see the Faithful album). Great job!

A daunting task indeed to take on this tune, but you did it well. I wouldn't know where to start with this song. About the only thing that I had an issue with was some of the digital keys (not the Moog thing or the barroom piano though...that was great!). What stands out? You nailed the background vocals totally, and you managed to preserve the original vibe of this tune. Todd Rundgren did this tune back in the 70's and he did the same (see the Faithful album). Great job!
Thank you very much sir! :D

-Adam.

It's OK. The tempo is too laid back and you even lag that tempo in places. This song should have a driving feel. BG vocals need to be louder and more insistent in places. I'm not a fan of the all-synth approach, especially on parts like the cellos. At least they need a much better patch. You are actually still missing some BG vocal parts, but I can't fault you for that, because I can't even sort all of them out either.

I would try Wilson's added parts on Smile, but then I am biased because I went to that concert . . . seeing it done live with 20 people on stage was quite the experience!

It's OK. The tempo is too laid back and you even lag that tempo in places. This song should have a driving feel. BG vocals need to be louder and more insistent in places. I'm not a fan of the all-synth approach, especially on parts like the cellos. At least they need a much better patch. You are actually still missing some BG vocal parts, but I can't fault you for that, because I can't even sort all of them out either.

I would try Wilson's added parts on Smile, but then I am biased because I went to that concert . . . seeing it done live with 20 people on stage was quite the experience!
It isn't all synth at all. A large amount of it is real. I really could not do anything about the cello. I know it sounds kind of ehh, but I don't have anything else. As for the lagging tempo, I don't know how I could have. It is locked on a grid. The tempo is a bit slower that the original. You are right on that account. I didn't really care for the added vocals, or the alternate lyrics to the SMiLE version, though I really love that album, and have listened to it all the way through a large number of times. Thanks for the comments, and constructive criticism.

-Adam.

Adam,

This is pretty amazing. considering you're only 16 years old. Your cover of "Folsom Prison Blues" was also pretty damn good. You picked up on the key ingredients of each song and you had a good feel for them. Keep at it. You're learning skills that will help you all through your musical career.

For anyone to even attempt to cover "Good Vibrations", let alone one 16 year old doing all the parts, is a daunting project. Ya' did good, kid!!!

Wow!

This is awesome dude. I'm twice your age and haven't got a clue how you just did that! Of course it's not as good as the original but it has got its own charm.

Listened to some of your other stuff too. S'very good...

Adam,

This is pretty amazing. considering you're only 16 years old. Your cover of "Folsom Prison Blues" was also pretty damn good. You picked up on the key ingredients of each song and you had a good feel for them. Keep at it. You're learning skills that will help you all through your musical career.

For anyone to even attempt to cover "Good Vibrations", let alone one 16 year old doing all the parts, is a daunting project. Ya' did good, kid!!!
Thanks very much. I wasn't really going to mention the age thing. I was thinking about it, but after thought I figured that it would just be an excuse. If people don't really care for something thinking i'm like 20 something, what would make them think it was any better just beacuse I'm 16. I just kind of want my music to be judged by the music. You know? Thanks anyway for the comment. It was really nice! :D And also, that is my dad singing, and playing guitar on "Folsom Prison Blues".

I'm with mshilarious- let them chorus vocals pop out proud like. Go for it! :)
They distort a bit, and I think I may have been trying to cover up bad tracking. :D Thank!

Very well done.
Thank you also sir.

This is awesome dude. I'm twice your age and haven't got a clue how you just did that! Of course it's not as good as the original but it has got its own charm.

Listened to some of your other stuff too. S'very good...
Thanks a lot, and for pointing out it's inadicuecy to the original. :D my originals are a bit (I think) better thank my covers. Did you check any of those out? As for the original, it is a very good piece of work that was made over the course of 17 recording sessions, at 4 different studios, and used up over 90 HOURS of tape. I used a laptop, and a lot of digital instuments, and took about 22 straight hours to record it. I wish I would have had an alternative to the cello I used, because I think it kind of hindered the song in a big way. Also in the original, and this is going to sound crazy, but at the spot when it transitions from the "I don't know where but she sends be there" section into the "gotta keep those loving good...ect." section, there is a reverb tail that comes off of the first sections from all of the instruments, I guess at different times for each, but the reverd tail that they make sounds fantastic to my ears. all of the combined frequencies just make a beautiful noise, that I sat there and listend to in an almost loop for about 30 minutes wondering how it was done. If anybody knows, please let me in. Thanks for the comment! :D

You should be proud of this. Very well done!
I am, and thank you! :D

-Adam.

Don't sweat the age thing...

I mean, I have to admit, when I heard your age, I was shocked, but it just shows that you have a ton of natural talent. You've got a great voice and an excellent songwriting/production style. Just remember us little people when you hit it big (and I fully expect that you will):o
Also, I was reading above and the one thing I use when I am going for a kind of haunting cello sound is my EMU Vintage Keys rack...this has the best mellotron/cello sounds of any of the synths I own (and I own a LOT of synths).

I mean, I have to admit, when I heard your age, I was shocked, but it just shows that you have a ton of natural talent. You've got a great voice and an excellent songwriting/production style. Just remember us little people when you hit it big (and I fully expect that you will):o
Also, I was reading above and the one thing I use when I am going for a kind of haunting cello sound is my EMU Vintage Keys rack...this has the best mellotron/cello sounds of any of the synths I own (and I own a LOT of synths).
Thanks a lot, and thanks for the advice. I'll check that out. :D

-Adam.

Wow, exactly the same vibe as the original!:)
Well done Adam, you must must have taken time to listen to the original.
No nits from me, you are incredibly talented!

Cheers
Joey :):):):)

Holy fuck dude, you got like every little nuance of the song. Freaking excellent. :eek:

Sometimes the timing seems off a little and I don't think all the harmonies are there, but fuck it, the Beach Boys were harmony masters. You did an awesome job sounding almost exactly like the original.

And I don't mean to hijack your thread, but check out my "Sloop John B". :D
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=276758

Adam, i definitely think you pretty much nailed the beach boy sound. The vocals are spot on. The synths are a close enough to make it a close approximation of the original. Well done lad.

Back