Good Time Demo

Robertt8

(Are any of you other people having trouble posting? i get an error when i submit. is it just me? I had to kind of backdoor this by posting a simple message and then edit it to get my info in it...anyhoo)

Long time no post...how you guys doing?!

Ok, We've got a bunch of DEMO tunes that were quickly recorded for our next CD. I just picked at random one to throw up here and see what you guys might suggest for EQ n' stuff or just ways to make it pop a bit.

This song has no effects or EQ, so it could use some. Also please excuse the double solos. like i said, this is quick and dirty. Any help would be killer as we're heading to the studio at the end of the month.

cheers!
tait

oh in case anyone cares this is pretty much what everything was recorded with...

• Presonus Firebox
• Mac Powerbook Laptop
• Studio Projects C1 & B1
• Cubase LE

Sounds good. It's well recorded. Those mics must be alright hey? How do you find the Firebox?

I like the song, it's upbeat. Real good demo. I'm envious. :D

Monkey Allen said:
Sounds good. It's well recorded. Those mics must be alright hey? How do you find the Firebox?

I like the song, it's upbeat. Real good demo. I'm envious. :D

hey thanks Monkey...

i dig the mic's. they're pretty damn good for how cheap they are. they're a little "crispy" or have a fair amount of high end boost, but i like the sound. I'm actually really happy with the Firebox...very clear and also very reasonable in price. thanks dude!

tait

This tune is a good time. Kind of islandy, like an island party. Good job tracking, sounds good with no EQ. When the drums come in and things pick up sounds like some separation of frequencies between instruments could help, it's just a tad bit cluttered to my ears. My usual method is to just give the instruments best frequency a slight boost, and lower that same frequency on other instruments. Cool tune, enjoyed it :cool: :cool:

Great tune. No point in critiquing the recording if your headed to a studio with it. Again, I like the tune.

SNAKEDOG5050: Thanks...yeah, this was actually mixed really fast. i essentially just dumped the stereo drums and bass over the sort of mixed other stuff...it was done as i was falling asleep and doing it quickly to 5 other songs as well. good EQ suggestion.

TRACK RAT: Thanks for listening and the kind words. thankyou indeed!

thanks guys!

Cool song. I like the busy interveaving lines of all the parts. I'd give the gtrs a little smoother sound - maybe a couple dB less in the 2-4 kHz range and a touch more in the low mids (not much since the bass gtr is strong there too). There's some distortion occasionally, but you're re-recording it in another studio right?

Nice tune, well recorded and performed.
It seams to me that guitars are sounding a little too sharp and kind a cold. Warm it up a little bit.
Overall: very good.

Oh man, the fun the right engineer could have with these raw tracks.
I would offer this on the mix....the snare could be brought forward a hair. Everything else sounds good for a dry compilation. Put a little processing like compression for the drums (especially the hats in this case) and reverb on it(overall a touch, but more on the vocals), and I'd love to hear it again.

TIMOTHY LAWLER: Hey, thanks for checking this out. I agree with the comment on the guitar. hopefully we can either use a different guitar to record with or hopefully the engineer with have some trick up his sleeve to smooth it out a bit and make it not quite so abrasive. yup. we're hitting the studio at the end of the week. thanks!

SIKTER: Thanks... when you say cold, you're just refering to lacking some low end? hopefully the dude we're recording with will have a LOT more skill than me when it comes to recording and mixing. I didn't use any EQ or effects, so i'm guessing that would help if the right hands (not mine!) thanks for listening!

SEEKER_OF_ROCK: You think these would be fun for an engineer to fiddle with? I hope so...we're hoping to have a much better sound than we can get when we hit the studio. At some point, i might try and mess with a little effects/compression here and there, but as it is, i'm pretty slammed for time and that Cubase seems pretty confusing to me. Maybe I'll post either the pro recording when it's done or mine after if i tweak it a bit. thanks!

Thanks guys!
tait

Back