Good to Great

Hi all, I've not been around much lately :) but have a project I need to get finished and mastered, I would welcome any input into this, its been a complicated job and I've heard it so much I'm getting ear blind :)

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Attachments

• good to great v8_6.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 20
Immediate thoughts: An enjoyable piece. You have a great vocal timbre and it totally suited the song. The vocal seemed mixed perhaps a little bit too much up front; it didn't seem to be 'in the same space' as the backing. A trick I sometimes use is to put a tiny bit of reverb on the overall mix which seems to make the overall mix sound 'in the same space'. What did you use to master the track?

Thanks Skyline, I've struggled with the vocal a bit, it was a bit sibilant going in and I didn't notice, not my voice it's the songwriters, he has great pitch and a rich tone. But if I try to add much processing it brings out the s's :(

I am trying to get ready for mastering and the client wants to use Abbey Road, they have sounded great when I used them before and cost around 90 quid.

Ill try changing the reverb, at the moment I have the same verb set up in the different subs so Ill try changing it to the master and see if that makes a difference :)

Cheers
Bruce

You should be able to EQ the sibiance out, you can usually find it at 5kHz to 8kHz. Have you tried using Ozone 8 to master? It's an amazing 'click and go' mastering tool.

It's a nice song.

Something is going on with the vocal. Is the high end boosted? Certain consonant sounds get really harsh. Almost sibalent. I also think the vocal would sound much better if it were doubled. A pitchy spot or two.

Not sure about the inter-twined vocal parts at the end. They didn't always gel.

The bass is a little strong in the low end. It's a little rumbly and a little indistinct.

For the most part I thought the strings sounded OK. They get a little harsh in the buildup near the end.

I thought the drums sounded pretty good.

Good song, very pleasing to ears. The lead vocal could be pitch-corrected to get it into a more pro level. Also, the lead vox could go back into the mix, it's a bit to upfront, like you are singing to a karaoke program.

+1 to bumping down the vox a little bit.

I heard some of the harsh sibilants, but I suspect backing the vox off will do a lot to address that.

Thanks as always for everyone's great input, pulling the vocal down seems to have helped a lot, I'm running out of time on this one:) I did consider asking the singer to go again, maybe wrong mike choice? but I need to submit it for mastering, if I record him again I'll listen more carefully on the way in :)

Had fun with this project though, first time using a remote drummer and I would definitely do that again, 13 really good stems from a great sounding kit well recorded and 5 takes :)

Thanks again.
Bruce

Back