GONE WITH THE WIND (Eurovision Song 2018)

Robbi007

GONE WITH THE WIND is probably my most mentionable music project of the past 3 years. Last summer Lars E. Carlsson and Soeren Skarback, both from Sweden, sent me their lyric and asked if I wanted to use it to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest ESC 2018 which, by the way, is the biggest televised music event in the world. After competing in 2014 in Romania I found the idea challenging, so I composed a tune together with my son Leon, who then recorded all the instruments and produced the track on his own. We wanted to create a pop song that stood out by sounding slightly different, less mainstream, so Leon produced the track without the typical pop/rock instrument ensemble (guitars, drums, bass). Tara-Lynn Sharrock contributed a stunning vocal arrangement and a beautiful vocal recording and we submitted the song in her home country, Australia, as well as some 25 other countries. Unfortunately, so far nobody was seriously interested. Maybe the track is not as good as I believed it was or maybe it's just too hard to reproduce it live on stage because one would need a huge orchestra and almost a dozen vocalists. Whatever. I learned a lot, had loads of fun and now I have two new friends from Sweden and an awesome song that I can share with you here. I would like to thank everyone involved in this exciting project for sharing their awesome talents with me. I'd love to hear what you guys think about the mix because we wanted to get this broadcasted on TV and radio.

GONE WITH THE WIND
(Lars E. Carlsson / Soeren Skarback / Leon Baitinger / Robert Baitinger)

There's a woman, she's watching the fires
Of that old civil war on a screen
And her courage is just what inspires me
To see more of life than I've seen

I'm a singer, you called me a starlet
But I've never felt happy and free
Miss O'Hara, that proud woman Scarlett
Was a fighter inspiring me

I will try to forget and forgive what's been done
I'll break the chains and bathe in the sun

Chorus:
By tomorrow I'll be gone with the wind
I'll be on my way
Like dust blowing away
I'm not Scarlett, I'm leaving today
Got no cotton farm, no need to stay
I'll be on my way

I won't look for some kind of Clark Gable
'Cause I'll never be Vivien Leigh
But I trust in myself, I am able
To do all I want, I will be me

I'm no Scarlett O'Hara but I'll fight just as hard
I'll get it right and won't let down my guard

Repeat chorus

Gone with the wind
Gone with the wind
I'm not Scarlett, I'm leaving today
Got no cotton farm, no need to stay
I'll be far away
Gone with the wind

Vocal arrangement & vocals: Tara-Lynn Sharrock
All instruments & production: Leon Baitinger
(c) Carlsson/Skarback/Baitinger 2017

Home | Robert Baitinger

Not a genre I listen to a whole lot. Mix sound very polished and professional. Vocals are great. For some reason the delivery reminds me of Maggie Reilly and the stuff she did with Mike Oldfield back in the 80s

Hi Bulls Hit,
thanks for the feedback. The guy who produced this is 20 years old. I doubt he knows "Moonlight Shadow" very well, if he's ever heard it at all, lol.

All the best
Robert

Thanks for the feedback. The vocalist used a USB mic and recorded the vocals in her living room in Australia. The playback was produced in Germany. The DAW was Ableton. The sounds were recorded with NI Kontakt and East West Audio and analog mixing techniques were used.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're well past the point where you're actually asking us randos on the internet for advice on mixing this? :D

You know that all the protagonists in Gone With the Wind are actually the bad guys, right?

I guess that sounds like a thumbs up. We are not the mixing experts and we didn't use high-level equipment. If you guys say it's ok, well, that makes me feel more confident and we can move forward and try to market it now.
THANKS!!!!

Back