"Golf Clap" Piano Rock (With Accordian!)

quazack

Hello all. I'd appreciate any feedback on this mix (I have very little experience, and reading posts and articles only can do so much). There's no drums, which is going to be strange for some of you. All performing, writing, and mixing was done by me*, so if any of these three things need brushing up, feel free to let me know.

The direct file is here:

Or, if that doesn't work, you can go here:
www.quazack.com/sounds/
And download "golfclap.mp3".

I love you all!

*A few little add-ins were recordings of a bunch of people at a party.

Very cool song! Kinda in the Ben Folds neighborhood, eh? Nice nice nice.

The mix sounds very squashed together, and I feel like I hear some phasey kinda artifacts which makes me wonder if it might be an mp3 encoding problem. What was your signal chain on this one? Anything done to the mix as a whole after mixdown?

The performance is rock solid here. I think the mix just needs to be "opened up" a little.

Welcome to the board!
Chris

It sounds like a cross between the Ben Folds Five and Smile era Beach Boys. I think there's a good song and performance there struggling to emerge, but it's buried in muddy production. I couldn't even hear the accordion. What did you record the tune on? A cassette multitrack recorder?

Personally, I think the little spoked snippets undercut the song. Of course, I can't make out the lyrics at this time, so they could be thematically relevant. But it sounds like you have a good tune in there, and I think you should have faith in letting it play without those snippets.

I may also be a bit long, but there could be a story you're telling that I can't make out and you need all that time to tell the whole thing.

Thanks guys, some very helpful feedback; I recorded it onto my crappy computer with my crappy soundcard with a behringer mixer. (UB1204FX). My effects were all digital on cooledit, and was basically compressor then a small reverb for the vocals; most of the other tracks were left dry. Then, on the entire mix down, I added a tiny bit more reverb.

So, opening up the mix; What would than entail? Expanding the panning, eliminating reverb, something something?

This tune is nice, loved the chord progression, cool idea with the breakup of sections.

There is something not right with the piano, how did you record it? It seems to be pounding rather than being smooth, Also, everything is bunched up in the middle, the backup harmonies at least should be panned. Would like to hear a remix.

Sorry to bump this, but...

You asked for a remixed version. I changed the panning entirely, did away with the final reverb on the mixdown, and a few other small things. If you want to download it again, the new version has the same link.

As far as length, I felt comfortable with it because most of the other songs on the album are under 3 minutes long...

Ok, thanks again everyone!

Hi,

I didn't hear your original mix, but I like this song - nice progression and melody.

- Lots of bottom end on the bass and piano
- Something to tie the first bit into the next bit, after the "Oh..."
- Vocal has some sibilant artifact on it, try cutting around 5k or change your FX mix
- Piano level should go back, vocal + backups could come forward
- Distortion or something around 2:45, coupla clips/peaks
- Like the re-entry @ 3:10ish, whatever it is in the left channel is good, but still indistinct. Accordion?
- If it is accordion, I would prefer to hear just a straight held chord, without the rhythmic pump. Just my preference.

Good job - I like the little samples - they are short and to the point and don't overwhelm too much.

I would also work a little harder on your tracking accuracy to the click track - it will make the end product shine a little better.

Noice!

:) Q.

quazack

This version is 20 times better than the last one, excellent job of remixing.

Cool tune.

Back