golden ears - please help

asulger

Hi,
This is about a 2 minute fragment of 2 pieces I'm working on and I need feedback on if it sounds accurate compared to the sound source, not the performance.
These are tunes played on a Leo Kottke Taylor guitar with heavy strings (elixir) tuned down to B (2 1/2 steps). No fingerpicks.
My signal chain is simple and nothing was done to this other than raise the volume a tad.
Here is the link
Thanks in advance for any observations, advice, etc.
Art

I have big ears but they're certainly not golden (lol). Hopefully some of our pros will give this a listen....

My humble opinion is that this is a nice clean mix. You can't tell the guitar is tuned down that much, surprisingly. Could maybe use a bit more of the bottom strings - the top strings are nice and clear. Maybe the bottom strings are so low in pitch that they don't record as easily.

Playing is nice too.....

Hey Art. Nice guitar. Very nice, natural highs in the clip. The lows sound a little too strong to me - hard to tell but it sounds like a room thing more than proximity effect. Always an adventure figuring how to best record a new guitar, huh?

Tim

And that's what is puzzling me. Ido1957 says, "Could maybe use a bit more of the bottom strings", and Timothy says, "The lows sound a little too strong to me".
I actually agree with you both but can't figure out what to do. Maybe it's my technique. The lower half fo the 4 courses go from about 65hz to 150 and the high half start at 120. There's overlap, so it doesn't seem to be something I can eq, is it?
It seems like courses aren't defined enough, just sound sort of "thump, thump".
I'm still experimenting with position. I've moved back a bit and spread the mics to keep them as far away from the soundhole as possible.
I think I had this problem of thumping with my 355 and then it went away after about a year. Could be the guitar - I dunno.
Art

Pretty cool playing. The tune is cool. Reminded me of the "King of The Hill" episode where Hank is playing along with Willie Nelson and they're just jamming.

With a lot of acoustic work, I don't really know the difference in different mixes 'coz I am always thinking about how cool the guitar playing is and the kind of overall tune. :)

Anyway, cool tune and great playing. :) I like how the tempo variations and the volume up and down seem to be saying something.

asulger said:
And that's what is puzzling me. Ido1957 says, "Could maybe use a bit more of the bottom strings", and Timothy says, "The lows sound a little too strong to me".
What I was hearing had more to do with dynamics than level really... some boom here and there.

Tim

Back