Giving it a genre and sound feedback

Neokibo

Hello everyone, I have a problem, well, two problems.

For one, I have no clue the category my newest composition is in. What genre?

The second problem is the sound itself. This is my first attempt at mastering a piece, since it is for releasing, I need to polish it and I have zero experience.
What I got right and what I got wrong with the sound? Too loud? How does it sound on your end?

Any feedback, I take it. thx.

Attachments

• genre.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I'm listening on a laptop with decent earbuds. The mix sounds nice to me . Not a lot of bottom end but the instruments may not be there in this short version you have posted. As far as the loudness , I don't hear any clipping or distortion from being too loud. You really need to get a Lufs meter to check it. You can get a free one from YouLean. -14 Lufs integrated (average) for the Entire song is a good target for streaming. I liked the Arabic feel to it . Genre ? Good job .. mark

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the "YouLean" recommendation, definitely worth checking the LUFS from now on. I had no clue about it.

I liked the Arabic feel to it
To think Arabic before the sound of cat meowing, I can only guess I failed at my goal. :(
It supposed to mimic cats having a chat (meowing).

I called the file "genre", because I need to know what type of music I created while not giving away the name of this song.
Since I am sending the finished product to Bandcamp, it would be great to know the genre for proper categorization to reach its audience. A type of Jazz, Rock…?

Perhaps Electronica.
You know, I went and listen a bit of music in that genre, and you might be right. Checked out Wikipedia and indeed, no real instruments played equals to electronic music. In addition, I follow no rules but feelings, so, the music I create has no true core, I guess.

Cool piece, I like the way the bass register follows the melody at times and goes off on it's own at other times. Reminds me of Jan Hammer when he was with Al DiMeola which is very impressive. I think the master is pretty good-certainly loud enough. Any criticism I can think of would just be personal preference, but i think some of the sounds could be softened a bit, the high mid range is pretty dominating. I would have tried bigger ambience on the drums, hides the mechanical feel. This would make a great interlude section of a larger piece ala Frank Zappa or Dimeola.

just listened to it on my laptop speakers and I really liked it. I think the track has a really cool vibe...would love to listen to the entire track! Also, I might label this track as "urban electronic"

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have notice more than one mentioned the lows. Thus, that and a few other problems mentioned, now tweaked. This was not a case of post rendering equalization, when I tried it killed the sound. Since I needed to enhance the reverb on the snare, I tweaked everything individually effectively re-mastering all.

Here is another section of the composition, re-mastered.

Attachments

• MCC.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Back