Give Me My Remedy - New rock song.

PhilLondon

Hey all.

I've got a new track. I'm singing on it, I've never sung in another other than my car before so be warned!

New Mix:

All thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Thanks, Phil.

Last edited:
I like it. Nice atmospheric tremolo on the intro and outro (I thought I perceived a little tuning issue on the outro--maybe?). Cool heavy riffs on the main guitar. Nice solo. The vocal was solid and pretty intelligible. The song was catchy.

Suggestions: Consider refining the lyrics to fit the melody more tightly. There might have been a place or two where your lyric had too many or too few syllables for the number of pulses in the melody. The mix sounds quite mid-rangy. The main guitar could have been turned down a bit to make room for the bass. Heavy rock tunes like this benefit from a solid bottom so that the power of the sound is sustained across the frequency range, instead of just the guitars in the midrange. Some appropriate harmony vocals would really push this song up a notch.

Good job!

Thanks for your kind words!

I feel that if I turn the guitars down, especially in the chorus, I would lose the impact. Everything is acoustic aside from the chorus and the quiet guitars in the bridge, perhaps bringing the bass up would be beneficial? I'll give that a go.

Harmonies - It took me 3 days to get that sounding to that level and it's kinda the best I can do, I'll have a look into it. I always think about doing them but I'm not a confident singer so I tend to shy away from it but I think you're right.

I think that the outro is in tune, I'll have to have a look!

I may have boosted the midrange a little with the Excite plugin in Logic, I'll take it off.

Is this better?

Last edited:
I think that is a better mix. The verse has a more open sound. To me the chorus is still a bit mid-rangy, but maybe it's my subjective preference. I would still like to hear more bass. The problem with turning up the bass is that you can't have more of everything. Something else has to give. If it were my tune, I'd back off the guitars. But that's your call.

For backing vocals I use Melodyne--ruthlessly. I try not to mess with the lead vocal much, but for harmony vocals that are going to be mixed together in the background, I go to town! I'm not a very confident or proficient singer. When I'm building up harmonies, I need all the help I can get hitting and holding those intervals.

A high harmony on the chorus would sound great in your song.

PS. I've got a song up in the MP3 clinic right now called "Delilah." You can hear what I did with the harmony vocals, using five or six different tracks that were pitch corrected and blended together so that the manipulations aren't too evident--I hope.

I'd love to hear your opinions of that song.

Thanks mate.

I'll have a think about what you said. Maybe I'll have a play with EQing the guitars in the chorus, which will mean I can keep the volume. I generally like the tone though.

Anyone else?!?! :)

I'll definitely check it out after dinner and see what I can add. :)

You should get out of the car and step up to the mic more often! Vocal is good and second mix without "Exite" is even better to my ears.

I'm with Robus on "more bass" but I think the bass just needs more definition, sort of a presence punch like you might get if bass was played with a pick. I'm so very new to mixing that It's hard for me to even define what I'm looking for, much less explain how to get it. Hopefully you will understand what I'm saying. It might be an EQ thing, sort of like Entwistle cranking the treble on his bass and amps? Sorry if this makes no sense.

Also agree the vocal phrasing could use a little work, but I'm hearing a very cool tune here.

Thanks. Lyrics aren't my forte, which lyrics do you find a bit awkward?

I quite like the first verse and the bridge, so I'm thinking it's the second verse.

EDIT - I'm not sure where it could be, I don't hear an issue anywhere!

Last edited:
Nice song, good riffs, nice vocals trebly, good raw drums, not s bit over saturated processing wise, this effect really suits this genre, nice guitar tones, perhaps add a change of lyrics for second chorus dor variation, add some keyboard work throughout not quite Doors stuff but similar vein I feel would suit, good vocal though interested to hear more

Thanks. Lyrics aren't my forte, which lyrics do you find a bit awkward?

I quite like the first verse and the bridge, so I'm thinking it's the second verse.

EDIT - I'm not sure where it could be, I don't hear an issue anywhere!

Actually everything fits nicely. The second verse does have a quick mouthful of syllables "breakin' my back again", "never gonna' show you where", "lost my way that day", but after another listen, they do fit in the rhythm of the song, and they're really nice lines. It just sounded a little clumsy to me at first, but after another listen, it all fits well, and promotes the story line.

In headphones here, the mix is well balanced and everything is coming over clearly. Good dynamic contrast between the verse & chorus. My only criticism is the vocal in the chorus isn't sitting quite right in the mix. I would try high passing the vocal and then compress it harder to even out the level. But that's just me. Tune itself is really good. Nice job

Pretty cool for a non singer.
I think you did pretty well. The bass could use a tad more definition - or yuou'll need to carve out a little from the guitars at around 3Khz to allow the bass top end to peak through.

Great vocals man, really. Sells the song right there, you need to get out of your car more lol.

I'm not 100% but it sounded like maybe the kick was causing the song to pump a little? Other than that, sounded great on my cheapie headphones.

Thanks man.

By pump do you mean, it kinda overpowers the mix so the song seems like it's pulsating in places? I've heard that on other mixes I've done a little, if that's what you mean.

You're singing is good dude. The whole song gets a bit squashed once the heavy guitars and layered vocals kick in. Just keep singing, dawg. Your voice will get better and better as you practice a little each day and try to master your own style :D

Thanks!

Is there anything for me to do in regards to to chorus? I haven't compressed the guitars in the chorus and there's not a lot on the master bus.

I'm not sure I hear it myself, but that could be inexperience.

I think it's my speakers. They make some things sound blaring and harsh... Sometimes it good for toning things down lol. I don't want to tell you a bunch of stuff to do to fix it, because maybe I'm wrong LOL. I listened to the song a few times. It seems like the chorus get a bit harsh on my speakers, but you might want to ask a few other people first before worrying about it.

I think it's fine in that regard, it doesn't sound harsh here. I do check the laptop speakers once I'm done with the mix just to make sure it's not boomy on it, but that's all, because they kinda suck lol.

People have said it was a bit middy but I removed the midboost that I had on the mix and all was better.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I'm following you on soundcloud.

Back