Give it a listen

More blues! (just listened to MAC2's post - Mustang Sally).

Nice airy feel. It certainly caught the groove. Great job.

I'd love to be able to track a guitar or two myself to "fill the hole".

Don't forget to post the finished product.

psmith66,

Thanks for the input but did you notice any technical areas that I could improve upon? I'm getting better at it but I still have a lot to learn.

I will post the finished product but I may post other tunes first.

Thanks again for your time...by the way I'd love to be in Newfoundland in August instead of here....we're burned to a crisp.

Rusty K

Pretty cool Rusty. Dig the acoustic guitar sound, nice. Where's the screaming guitar solo??? All the blank bars are there..just waiting to go. The vocals at the start could be louder, there better volume wise when you kick into the 1/2/3/4 7th thing. Good singer! Little reverby, could cut that a back a bit on the main vocals, it wouldn't kill it, I think it would help bring them out a bit. You have reverb on the kick to, I'd leave it on the snare and dry out the kick. Unless it's the sound your after, pseudo-live. Oh yeah, bass could be a touch louder. Drums are a bit.... programmed sounding. I like the song though, cool. Get a ripping guitar solo and some real drums and go to town!!

BUSTED...Emeric,

Well I used PC drummer. I love real drums but for a songwriter it's almost prohibitive to use them till the "real deal". With PC drummer I can continually make revisions. I think I could even separate each drum on a track if I would take the time.....

I had no processing on the vocal track at all except for limiting as I recorded. That worked great I think for the first time I tried it. I've been having trouble getting a good vocal sound. Oh yes I mastered the mix with T-Racks/hard compression/flat eq.

I did wash the whole mix with a reverb so of course the kick and everything got it. I have often gotten the comment "too much reverb" yet I hear pro CD's with effects/verb out the wahzoo. Am I just applying the verb wrongly or is it just a matter of taste?

Yes I did boost the spoken part but I don't think enough. Do you have any suggestions for laying down the vocals to level all the parts without messing a lot with my wav editor? Of course moving in and out.

I'm surprised you liked the guitar. I've been having a hard time with that as well. Seems like anything I record with my mike has been a struggle so far. That kind of rhythm would probably sound better on an electric but all I have is my Martin.

Solo and fill is coming and believe me it will be screaming. He's one of the best.

So far it's all me!

Thanks for your time and input keep it coming,

Rusty K

I wouldn't wash it out with reverb on the master 2 track. Do the reverb on the initial tracks. So you got a guitar player who's gonna put something down? Cool, I'll be sure to check out the final. BTW what's the bass? It could be more interesting as well. Solid playing, but a bit dry... need to be rougher/real.

Ok I can live without the verb wash no problem and I'm not sure I would have used it in the final anyway ....just an interim experiment.

Yes hot guitarist I'm privileged to play with on stage often. From a one hit wonder band from the 60's. I won't drop a name till it's done though. Also Shailot a member and B-3 player has heard the song and I think he will add some organ. Maybe he'll have a solo I can't live without.

I use a P-Lite Fender bass, active. I usually record direct no pre into my PC. Actually Emeric I've not been satisfied with much I've recorded yet, bass included. I want more growl and a harder hitting bass line, I'm a pro bass player in my real life. I use Sonic Foundry EQ for most of my tracks. I find it easy to work with but sometimes I wish it had more "tweaks", only four. I know the growl is in the mid's but I can't find it without getting this kind of "flopping".

I really want to be able to do these songs and players justice with my engineering. I'm eager to learn.

Thanks,
Rusty K

Hey Rusty...

Listened to the tune.

I thought the Acoustic Guitars were recorded nicely, and I liked the tempo you tapped out of it too. Nice control of the guitars.
The vocals need to be brought up a bit, had to strain to hear them. You have a good singing voice and a great talking voice.

The song was a little too repetitive for my taste, maybe you were going for a John Lee Hooker kinda "groove thang" and i missed it.

Methinks if you re-mixed it with vocals up & shot some more changes through it, it would be better though.

But good job, my man.

DJ

Rusty,
I'm digging this song. Add my name to the "boost the vox in the verses and drop the 'verb a hair during the choruses" list.

I think if you let the bassline go nuts in the verses with some variations and different fills it'd address the repetition thing that Dougie mentioned.

Queue

hey guys,

I appreciate the input.

Will do on the suggestions.....I think that the repetition issue will dissolve when the instrumentalists are added. I'ts what I call basic tracks right now....but I wanted to make sure I was heading in the right direction technically speaking.

Thanks, and keep it coming I may repost tonight with a revised mix covering at least the issues mentioned.

Rusty K

Rusty, great song. I didn't have a problem with the vocals except at the very first they were a little low. The rest was nice and clear; you have a very nice singing voice. The drums seemed a little prevelant, but will probably be fine when you get the killer lead in there. I really liked the guitar; it had a Dave Mason kind of ring to it. The bass was just a bit low. Nice clean mix overall. Great job!

t

Really liked the feel of the rhythm of this tune....except when it seemed to get interrupted at about the one minute mark when the drum pattern changed....the rest of the transitions seemed fine...maybe it was the D/L or my pc(?)

Great rhythm guitar track and the bass sounds fine to me the way it is. (I'm guessing the guitar is panned right to leave room for the lead track?)

Good vocal track....bring 'em up out front and maybe a little less reverb.

I'll keep an eye out for the final version! Nice work!

Thanks a million for your time I will definately post the final.

I'm not sure about the interrupt thing Mac2. The drums do change but it seemed to be a smooth transition. Maybe is was DL or something.

I'm truly amazed with the response on the guitar. I really have been pulling my hair about it.... Since I laid that track I was able to find the sweet spot of my mic during a vocal recording...I'm sure I can do better on the acoustic in the future.

Thanks again,
Rusty

man Rusty K,

I'm feeling your song. I quite like the tone and balance you got. I think that the kick and vocal can benefit from less reverb.

THe singing is very nice. THe guitar is fabulous, bass is nice.

THe onyl other thing I can think about is that the vox in the intro is too low.Maybe you can bring that part up in a wav editor and increase. Also mess with cutting some lows on it to make it more intelligible. Really good mix

peace

Rusty, I liked the groove. It makes me want to take off on lead guitar. . . er. . . wait, I don't play lead guitar. Anyway, I agree with some of the main points that were already made. I think the vocals should be brought up in the beginning and the reverb should be cut back. I was also thinking that the left side needed something to balance it out but I realized that's probably where the other guitar would go. But funny you should mention organ because that's what I was thinking would go well there. But not a screaming organ that will take over the whole song, just something low and nice that will tie things together. I'd hate to see the acoustic guitar intimacy of the song be taken over.

Thanks fellas. I'm going to remix soon and will make the suggested changes. I'll also keep the organ suggestion in mind but it's hard to know exactly till I hear it.

Much thanks for you time....

Rusty K

Back