"girl I Knew" home recording

D_Vincent

Still pretty new to recording so my sound isnt great yet plus I dont have much gear for recording however im hoping to get a decent preamp and perhaps a compressor and an EQ soon which should help my tunes...I also need a mic...Im recording line in or out or whatever its called.

Song is called "Girl I Knew"...its in the Snow Capped Mountain Moonlight album...click on view tracks in green.

I played bass line on electric guitar and used drum loops...i need to get edrummer or something soon...low on cash though.

Basically my setup is electric guitar,amp, mxr overdrive,mxr phaser,m audio interface and mixcraft recording software...thats it...wish I had more gear however maybe in the near future I can get some more gear.

http://www.mp3.com/albums/20150040/summary.html?tag=albums;title;recent&om_act=convert&om_clk=artalb

I can kind of hear a funky lead guitar in there somewhere, but i can barely make it out over the rhythm. cool tone on the rhythm guitar, but i think it needs to go down a bit, or bring the lead more in the front. as well as the bass. from what I can hear of it, it sounds good, but again, can't really make it out over the rhythm.

just my opinion. :)

thats cool...its ok to say whats wrong with it...still learning so any feedback can only help...lots of people around hear have some nice sounding recordings and mine are pretty bad compared to them.

Catchy tune - I liked it right away. The phaser sound is very cool. Your playing is great on this. Simple, but again very catchy. The guitar melody line is good enough for now but you need a vocalist to make this really shine. Although I'd probably miss the guitar lol. You could keep it in spots or add it in the spots between verses when you get the singer. The melody is very good.

Mix wise it sounds pretty good, no major issues, just little things come to mind while listening....
- a little muffly on the guitars
- I could handle the lead being a touch louder and more centered
- maybe a bit too much cymbal crashing
- the bass works but an octave pedal might be a good cheap investment

Not sure you need a whole lot more equipment, it can make a difference depending on what you get, however, I think you're doing a good job now...

i wouldn't say bad! it is a very clean nice all around recording!!

I agree with ido, but I could still use some more lead... :p

damn guitarists and their insatiable urge for dominance!!! Hell, i think I could problably listen to most srv songs minus everything but his strat! :D

I hear ya...I could of added more lead guitar however when i write I usually write it for vocals and let the guitar take a back seat most times...If the lead doesnt really enhance the song I usually dump it unless its a "solo" which i didnt add to this song.

Check out the solo in my call of the wild song...recording isnt that great but I like the solo.

Catchy tune - I liked it right away. The phaser sound is very cool. Your playing is great on this. Simple, but again very catchy. The guitar melody line is good enough for now but you need a vocalist to make this really shine. Although I'd probably miss the guitar lol. You could keep it in spots or add it in the spots between verses when you get the singer. The melody is very good.

Mix wise it sounds pretty good, no major issues, just little things come to mind while listening....
- a little muffly on the guitars
- I could handle the lead being a touch louder and more centered
- maybe a bit too much cymbal crashing
- the bass works but an octave pedal might be a good cheap investment

Not sure you need a whole lot more equipment, it can make a difference depending on what you get, however, I think you're doing a good job now...

Thanks for saying you liked the song...I actually need a new amp...this song was recorded on a 50 watt bass amp form the 1970's...i really like the amp however its slowly dying I think.

I was wondering about the centering of the lead guitar...should it always be panned more to the center?.

Thanks for the comments.

I like it! The lead should be panned wherever you want it...

An octave pedal would help, or do what I did and go to a pawn shop and buy a really cheap bass :)

i can hear your "trick" in action, and it sounds very nice!
obviously a bass guitar would've been welcome, and while the lack of one thins out your recording, it's not unpleasantly thin at all.
i see what people mean about the lead needing pushed up a bit, but i'd say only a slight bit. it would be easy to overdo it. of course, if you were to track bass, it would probably need more.
great song! :)

Back