Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gimme some feedback on this mix (metal)

Thanks

Gimme some feedback on this mix (metal)

Sign in to disable this ad
    I recorded this album for some good friends of mine several months ago, and we've only recently put the finishing touches on it so that I can revisit this mix. I posted some of this material a couple months back but this is a totally new mix. What do you guys think? Any comments are welcomed!

www.themetallab.com/files/DECEMBER-07-03.mp3

Thanks
    Sounds good brother...my only gripe would be it sounds like either you used a noise cleaner or it's just a badly compressed mp3... it's not horrible but noticeable...makes the whole thing sound flat, dull, lifeless. It's missing that openess if ya know what I mean.

Good mix though...and a good mix for the style.
    [URL=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=249696]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=249696[/URL]

Thanks
    I'm not a regular listener of this type of stuff, so here's just my personal opinions:

Guitars sound very good. I hate those type of vocals, but they seem to be right for the genre and sit well in the mix. I think maybe the bass could use more presence, but it seems that the bass gets buried pretty often in this genre of music. The drums sound pretty good, especially the toms and kick. I think the snare could use just a touch more punch. I really like the solo with the panned harmonizing guitars. I think the "middle" solo could come up some with maybe some stereo chorus or something to make the transition from middle to hard-panned harmonies not so distinct.

But again, I'm not a regular growl-metal listener, so I probably don't know shit about it. These are just things I noticed.

Overall though the production sounds great. Everything is clear and polished sounding. Good job.

Thanks
    Sounds good brother...my only gripe would be it sounds like either you used a noise cleaner or it's just a badly compressed mp3... it's not horrible but noticeable...makes the whole thing sound flat, dull, lifeless. It's missing that openess if ya know what I mean.
    I think I know what you mean. They want to have this mastered, so I will probably back off the compression quite a bit and give them some very modest levels to work with. Hopefully that will help and the mastering gurus can work their magic.
    If I give the band a mix to review that is super quiet, they think it sounds horrible.

Thanks
    Yeah, well just so you know I'm nit-picking, but it's shit like that, that drives me nuts in my own recording... I wanted to make note of it, cause if you have been mixing it and listening to it for awhile it may not be as noticeable to you now, but you'll hear it more after a week or so of not hearing it.

Like I said it 'could' be the mp3 conversion, but I don't think that is what it is.

You didn't say if you used something to reduce noise... ?

If ya didn't, I'm at a loss...then it could be the mp3...or multi-band comp on the high end..

Mix is fine and the instruments sound as they should for that style... more vol can be added later so no worries there...
    [URL=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=249696]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=249696[/URL]

Thanks
    Yeah, there is no sort of noise reduction going on. I have a little compression on most of the individual tracks, including a little on the drum overheads. Then I have a limiter on the master buss. I think by the time everything is done there is just too much compression going on. Also the drums were recorded in a small room and the overheads don't have a very open sound to begin with. Hopefully mastering can add a little air.

Thanks
    Nice clean tight mix man.
    Nice guitar tones.
    What was your setup for the guitars?

The mix as a whole seems a bit weak. Id work on your low end more to make the mix a bit meatier. Guitars seem to have a nice low end I think, but bass and kick and maybe even snare could do with more beef.

Good stuff.
    Eck

Thanks
    The guitar set up was a 5150 II head into a Marshall cab with Vintage 30's.
    There were 2 57's on the speaker, one on axis and one off. They recorded 4 tracks like this, so with both mics, 8 tracks in all.
    I used a Brent Averil 312a for the on axis mic and an M-Audio Tampa for the off axis mic.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdicament View Post
    makes the whole thing sound flat, dull, lifeless. It's missing that openess if ya know what I mean.
    Ive got a feeling it could be from using a limiter on the mix, could be a mix issue but its very hard to tell what could be wrong in the mix to make it sound a bit flat.

I mastered the song to see if I could bring more life to the mix.
    Hope you don't mind.
    Let us know what you think.
    http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8126

Eck

Thanks
    That sounds pretty good Eck. I'm just on PC speakers at work, so it's hard to judge. I'm interested to know what you've done though, and I'll take it home and give a better listen tonight.

Thread Information