Gidge Cover Song.

You even sound like Gidge singing (kinda)

Clean mix, a little "pan heavy" for me on instruments.
Gidge will get a kick out of this.

Another nice job Jamal

Joel

Man, you're like some kind of speed-recording freak. I KNOW your computer was broken thru at least last night...then you had to work, and yet, posted a tune. That gives you exactly your LUNCH HOUR to have recorded this. Pretty cool...and AMAZINGLY fast.

Yeah, I remember this one...there's the Jim Beam line. Cool song.

Hey Jamal, your guitar tones have gotten about 1000 times better....until this song. WTF? Seriously, it's bigger than the difference between mic'ing or not mic'ing an amp...something sounds... Well, you know that area below your back...right above your legs? that's how these guits sound to me, lol.

All kidding aside, the guitars sound like shit, but I like this a lot. Kudos to both of you.

All kidding aside, I must say that it is an honor to have you cover one of my songs Jamal.....ive been kinda anxious since i found out at 1:00 this morning you were covering me.....

with that said, I like the direction you took it.....my demo was nowhere near the sound i was after and you actually came really close to what i was after....

the drum sounds definitely worked....no problems there.....the clean guitar is definitely good....the distorted part was definitely too roomy......i wouldnt say they sound like ass (because Chris already did:D )....i wouldnt have panned it so far out....it balances the other guitar during the vocal parts, but when it solos, it definitely should be centered.....the vocal just rocks as do the harmonies......if i sounded 1/10 that good and Chris had a feather up his ass, we'd both be tickled:D

in summary, Jamal you rock.....

MIKE

rock on jamal. that was mighty tasty even though there were no hurrahs or opposites in it. I really dug this tune when gidge-mo posted it the first time around. Your production really does the tune justice. Way to go J and way to go G!

Hey Jamal,
Im listening on the puter here at work, so an acurate mix critique aint coming from me. ....Actually, the guits dont sound "that" bad here. Maybe you used comp speakers for monitoring?:D The pitchiness you mentioned is glaring at me though:D Your tone and voice sound great... just sounds like you rushed your tracking a bit. You already know that though...so i'll shut up. Im gonna go and re-listen to gidges original.........

Cool cover man.:)
g

jcm:...thanks man ..yeah the panning could of been a little less TOTALLY SCREWED UP....lmao...:D

chris:...lmao...yeah im all about the "direct into"...followed closely by"preset bank"....hahahaha....my amp is loaned out at the moment..not that i could have gotten a good sound with an amp either....

gidge:...fuck i feel bad about having to rush through this... but my computer was down until yesterday about 5:00 pm...so i had to fucking hustle and it SHOWS....but i wanted to get this posted i mean thats the fun part right???....lol...you dont care about the reverb setting on the second guitar in the bridge as much as just wanting to hear what its gonna sound like right???:D..so i had to the bulk of it AFTER the baby fell asleep and at that point i cant listen to anything loud anymore.....fuck..ill work on this some more and just pm you with it when im done....

guernica:....what?!?!?!?!....NO 5STARS..?!?!?..you sonofa bit...oh wait ..yeah that vocal.....ouch ....lol.....:D:D:D..rushed hell i was out of breath...lol....but i like this song alot...wish i had more time ..*sigh*......thanks brother..!

This is such a kool song Gidge*****! Jamal this is a kick ass job you did here..you did this today?:eek: Shit I gotta go listen to the original...I really like this song.

wow, i listened to them both, and it is a great song Gidge!! I do like what you did with it Jamal, dude! Can you do no wrong? I tend to like your version best. The panning is a little extreme, i've learned from you and others to keep that toned down. The guitars sound good to me.....I like the drums. You guys do sound alike kind of...a fine job!!
Jason

I couldn't help myself, I had to check out the Kinks cover,...

and IMO it was really well done, well produced, musically tight and vocally intensive. Overall, really good, and conveys an authentic Kinks feel. Don't you hate it when people review different songs than the one in the topic? Haha.

========

The Gidge cover is excellent. Again, it's well produced, musically tight and vocally intensive.

========

Great cover, bucket. Gidge's songs fit your style it seems and this was a good choice to do. You were able to take Gidge's song and make it sound like one of yours. Admittedly, not the best recording..sonic wise, but the "feel" was there. Three thumbs up for doing all this on your lunch hour!;)

Good job Jamal-and salute Gidge!-Real good song-it's always a pleasure to hear you sing Jamal-The break at 3:20 is really cool-good effects on the vocals-I hate to make mix comments-it seems against the whole spirit of your effort....but I will anyway :)-drums sounded good-vocals sounded good as always-guitars...hmmm-maybe panned to much-not sure if I like the verbs on them---but the playing is good. Enjoyable listen all around.

I wanted also to throw in,...

that not only are the two recordings I listened to "vocally intensive", [my expression], but the vocals themselves are really good. There's a nice quality to your voice, your pitch & phrasing is great, & harmonies are awesome.

So there'ya'go.;)

Nice vocal performance here. The vocals sound great.

No comment on the guitar sounds ;) (yeah I'm expecting to get beat up on that next time I post something)

Nice song too.

Good work Jamal & Gidge

Sounds great Jamal,especially the vocals,they rock!
Rythym guitar is sweet.

I'm working on one of Mike's tunes too,can't sing like you though.:D

I really dug the quite part at 3:10,nice touch.
Very cool ending.

I really enjoyed it.
Thanks for sharing,
Pete

Jamal,

Those are kick ass harmonies! Did you perform all the background vocals? I'm curious to know the techniques for recording background vocals. Any tips you can offer?

Good work.

KF

Knopfler Fan said:
Jamal,

Those are kick ass harmonies! Did you perform all the background vocals? I'm curious to know the techniques for recording background vocals. Any tips you can offer?

Good work.

KF

wow man i can hear how OFF they are ....is it just me?!?!?...this whole vocal track...man i almost scrapped the whole thing ...i just ran out of time and HAD to post it for gidges sake:D....um ....on the backups ...i dunno ..i seem to sing the backups in different tones or notes than alot of people ...its not something i try to do it just comes out that way....all the higher ones im pretty much yelling into my c-1...with the -10db thing set ..and the input set at about 7:00 o' clock..if that makes sense...??...

im not a great singer to to hit those notes i pretty much HAVE to yell or right on the verge anyway.....

maybe that helped??.
jamal

Back