Get There

The drum seems a bit off the beat in spots - on time but not where I would expect it...Other than that arrangement thing, pretty complete mix for me, Wig. The vocals are riding just above the mix (nice harmonies). The acoustic is popping in and out very nicely. Good song!

:D:D:D:D

Thanks, ido,

This was just a one day run through. I'd like to program some drum fills at the end of vocal lines eventually. I'll probably add flute fills, too. I wish I knew how to do crossfades in Sonar, the low strings could do a cool trade off with the acoustic guitar doing runs, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

Glad you like the song. I was anxious to shar it because it is a spiritual. :)

Nicely done vocal harmony.

Drums are off rhythmically, as ido1957 mentioned. Everthing else sounds nice and tight. Nice guitar part. 5 minutes is a little long for the arrangement... more variety in the instrumentation might be good - maybe starting more simply and building up.

Nicely done vocal harmony.

Drums are off rhythmically, as ido1957 mentioned. Everthing else sounds nice and tight. Nice guitar part. 5 minutes is a little long for the arrangement... more variety in the instrumentation might be good - maybe starting more simply and building up.

All good advice, XLR, will do, thanks.:)

Flute's new, right? Sounds good and adds variety.

Did some snare editing? That sounds better too.

I'd ease up on compression/limiting overall... lower ratios, slower attack.

Flute's new, right? Sounds good and adds variety.

Did some snare editing? That sounds better too.

I'd ease up on compression/limiting overall... lower ratios, slower attack.

Yup, flute's new, but it's an old flute with a few leaks. LOL The compression is Vintage 64 in Sonar - Setting is Master Mix, I think. I'm going to try to eq the flute and lower the volume today so it doesn't jump out at you.

Not much interest in this song because I mentioned it is a spiritual, I guess. I'm not a religeous nut, but I heard this song in my sleep so I just figured . . . you know . . .;)

Yeah, I think this one will make the CD. Thanks for all the interest. The new mix is the best so far, but I'm just typing to myself. I probably won't post it here. Thanks to ido and XLR. You can find the final on Soundclick in about a week.:)

A refreshingly understated narrative.
The message isn't on a billboard 3cm from my face which is very pleasing.
Musically this is very nice, there are the stated probs with drums but, apart from those, this works well.
Nice playing - the flute & picked guitar work nicely together.
Good work.

A refreshingly understated narrative.
The message isn't on a billboard 3cm from my face which is very pleasing.
Musically this is very nice, there are the stated probs with drums but, apart from those, this works well.
Nice playing - the flute & picked guitar work nicely together.
Good work.

Thanks very much, Ray, The drums are always a chore for me, because I need to get EZ Drummer or the like. I'm using Session Drummer 2 in Sonar, and I find it pedestrian at best.

It was all recorded to a click, so I should be able to augment them when I get the time. I've been struggling with levels at the moment. I mistook all the red flags in sonar to mean I was clipping and squashed all the dynamics out the mix in parts of the vocal. Damed learning curve. I'll get there.:)

Once more, nice work Xeries...
I don't know, when I listen to your music it just makes me float away, really atmospheric stuff. The voice might be a bit too loud and maybe could use some more depth. and the drums maybe a bit more character, but the song is beautiful and I love your voice. Well done, your music has character......;)
Cheers
Joe

Once more, nice work Xeries...
I don't know, when I listen to your music it just makes me float away, really atmospheric stuff. The voice might be a bit too loud and maybe could use some more depth. and the drums maybe a bit more character, but the song is beautiful and I love your voice. Well done, your music has character......;)
Cheers
Joe

Thanks, Joey. I'm going to bump this song one more time with a new mix. Same link at the top. It's hard to know when to stop sometimes.:)

Bumpity bump. Here is the last version for a while. Original link at the top. I sure could use some voices it anyone wants to send me some files. It ain't that tough to do to chime in on a spiritual.:D

Drums sound pretty bad. The snare has no life to it. No body. The vox are way too out front and I think I hear some compressor pumping going on. The whole mix seems kind of harsh and ultra-squashed. Some of the backing vox and flute parts jump out a little too much. I like the guitar and flutes and synths and all the stuff going on though. Good song and melodies. I just think it needs a lot of mix help. :o

I agree with Greg on the drums. But it seems curable. The snare just seems too compressed. You have a great voice and it's a good song. The flutes and overall instrumentation are really nice. Nice Gorgdon Lighfoot-ish feel to it, too.

Drums sound pretty bad. The snare has no life to it. No body. The vox are way too out front and I think I hear some compressor pumping going on. The whole mix seems kind of harsh and ultra-squashed. Some of the backing vox and flute parts jump out a little too much. I like the guitar and flutes and synths and all the stuff going on though. Good song and melodies. I just think it needs a lot of mix help. :o

I've updated the arrangement and the mix April 24th (Thursday) See what you think now.

I changed the drums, still not perfect, but I'm not RAMI. I think they have more snap now. Vox are cut back, and I used the "quiet up and loud dowm" preset in the VC 64 compressor. Hopefully it's not squashed.

Thanks for listening.

I agree with Greg on the drums. But it seems curable. The snare just seems too compressed. You have a great voice and it's a good song. The flutes and overall instrumentation are really nice. Nice Gorgdon Lighfoot-ish feel to it, too.

See what you think now, RAMI. I've shortened the song, used a different compression setting. Different drum pattern and livened up the snare a bit.

Added some Heavenal synth voice and toned down the vox a bit.

Thanks for listening.:)

I don't think the snares any better. It sounds super-compressed and bright. Too much snap. It seems to be leaning to the left as well. The rest sounds much better.

Still enjoying the song with every listen. The drums are better, still aren't my fav, but I'm not sure what to suggest. The chorus is really appealing to me - musically, and catchy too. It does have a certain "dreaminess" to the mix as stated previously. Cool story to the lyrics too. :D:):D:)

Back