Get Out - suprstar original

Get out of here suprstar that was great!
That whole composition took off where Jefferson Airplane left off., Before they turned in to starship.
I can see your concern with the drums they don't pop out enough, I do like them right after the guitar solo.:D

:cool:

Sounds pretty good to me man! One suggestion: either dryer lead vox, or wetter guitars. The guitars "feel" closer to me than the singer does. I'm a guitarist and I love a good guitar part--but I'm thinking the vocalist should be in front. :)

Good stuff!

Pretty good song (now what was the name of that irish one-hit-wonder band ....? Very similar style). Singer has some pitch problems, although her voice is pretty particular. Reverb is a question of taste IMHO, some like a lot, some like a little, so I guess that's up to you. I especially liked the clean guitar and the drums sound pretty good. Getting better all the time.....;)

Joey :)

Yikes, those are some bad vocals. :laughings:

The drums sound weird and unnatural, which for me, is really screwing this mix up. Too isolated/gated with a really weird overhead presence. Are these real drums? They don't really sound totally fake, but they don't really sound real either. You have entered some weird new drum sound dimension. :D There's no "glue" holding the kit together. It just sounds like isolated samples pasted into place. I used to try recording my drums with only close mics and letting the bleed be the "overheads" and my results sounded just like this weirdness.

I think the guitars sound okay for the most part. They're a little generic, but not bad. Bass seems pretty good. The vocals are too wet compared to the rest of the mix, but they're so bad it doesn't even really matter. ;) The song is a little too long, too repetitive, and it goes nowhere. There's no build ups or breakdowns besides the clean verse/distorted chorus which gets old fast.

thanks for the feedback. gerg - vox are bad as in sung bad, or u dont like the fx or ? No the drums arent real, it's still v-drums and midi, it's all I got... I worked pretty hard on the drum mix too, I looped a bass drum and played it along with a song I like the drum mix for, and tried to get it to sound as close as possible. Same for snare and the rest..... At least this time you didnt KNOW they were fake, so it's an improvement! :D

i think she sounds good during the choruses but she's all over the place during the verses...especially the beginning of each line...

she can obviously sing so she needs to tighten this up more or you need to get some pitch correction tools..and although I like reverb I think its far too strong here, even though I expect its kinda what your looking for...Id use a bit of delay instead if it were mine

the guitar could do with more spread out imo, it seems to be very boxed into its only little place in the mix

Gregs on the drums...I thought they sounded good apart from the cymbals, they were a bit lifeless...

A good mix and composition overall just needs more work and some tracking/pitch correction on the vocals...nice one :)

Thanks. Actually the guitars are 3 tracks panned hard L R and C. I'll inspect those vox a little closer when I get home,

Thanks. Actually the guitars are 3 tracks panned hard L R and C. I'll inspect those vox a little closer when I get home,

oops...my bad :o

i should always put a disclaimer saying that my set up is pretty budget...i can get my stuff sounding OK with some work but its not always the best to pass judgement on others work...it sounded like one track on mine :(

are they three different tracked guitar parts or just clones?

Yeah, it's 3 different takes, panned as far apart as I can get em. It is the same guitar and amp tho, and I did all 3 takes at the same time too, so there's no tonal differences whatsoever between any of the 3.

Love the intro..has a Metalica feel to it...and I've always loved that spooky essence in Metalica music..and her vox do reminisce of Slick's style during the Starship years a bit...hmmm...Metalica meets Jefferson Starship.:D

If you do go drier with the vox, I wouldn't go too dry.

My ears, my gut, tells me, she's holding back her emotion..she isn't convincing me, she really wants ya to get out of her head!:D(sorry..couldn't resist)

I'm pitch handicapped, so I don't hear the pitch problem..even when I sing, I don't hear it..so I am of no help there.

The ending chorus when she finally does get ya outta her head, has more of the grit I wanna hear thoughout the song. I do like the buildup at the end too.

Rather than turn down the guits..if she put just a tad more power into her vocals(let it come from her guts) then I think the vox would be sitting just right with the guits without even touching a knob/slider...okay, so that sounds like a crazy way of hearing or doing something..but hey, it's me talking here, whaddya expect?:confused:

Your playing is great...and the tone..I love your solos!

If I remember right, it is your wife singing? Great to listen to a family project!

Love the opening riff. Great tone on it. James Bond-ish. Good performances all around.

Lead vox need to come up a bit. Maybe back off the verb on them just a wee bit. Still leave them wet, but not quite so much.

Distorted guitars sound muffled. It's like they don't go above 4K or so.

Drums lack umph and power.

Like the arrangement.

I think doubled vox during the chorus would be cool. Harmonies would too.

It's not a totally bad performance from the singer.

However, this song requires a lot more energy. She seems fairly calm and relaxed, which is fine for the cleaner parts. But when that chorus kicks in you want it LOUD, PROUD, and OUT FRONT. It was aching for that! Get her to scream a little more ( ;) ), and do doubled-takes and harmonies.

True said:
Metalica meets Jefferson Starship

That's what I thought too!! I like the vibe. Good guitar tones and the solo is great. I like the voice, but needs to work on pitch control. melodyne could help and it would be transparent, especially with a female voice.

I agree wtih Greg about the length, I think the song should have ended after the post-solo chorus, about 5 mins. Unless you do a complete change up, it gets a little repetitive... and I know a thing or two about repetitiveness. :o

Glad to see yo back and packin some tunes!!! :D

...and I know a thing or two about repetitiveness

:D