get off your phone and drive!!

jimistone

long standing member
I have kind of been out of the mp3clinic loop for a while. I have been building a couple of guitars.
I got back in my studio and recorded a little. Its been a while since I wrote and recorded an original. Its a traditional fast blues arrangement. I was thinking "man, these blues guys are still stuck into the 20th century...why don't they put some modern lyrics to the blues?

So, I decided to just put some modern lyrics to the blues myself!

I am playing all instruments myself. As usual the weak link is my drumming.

Sorry I havent been here lately. I will catch up on listening to the tunes that have been posted.

Here is "get off your phone and drive!!"
:)

Latest mix
get off your phone and drive! remix by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Awesome that you play everything yourself!
The timing of the drums is a little off sometimes, but I feel you bro! I'm learning the drums too and I find it super hard to become at least mediocre, hehe.
To me the recording and mixing sound awesome, could be an original recording back from the days.

Awesome that you play everything yourself!
The timing of the drums is a little off sometimes, but I feel you bro! I'm learning the drums too and I find it super hard to become at least mediocre, hehe.
To me the recording and mixing sound awesome, could be an original recording back from the days.
Thanks vitaminx.
That's kind of what I was going for....old school blues mix.

Sounds good. Your drumming is getting better. I hear a little lurch in the timing in a couple of places. I would just edit if it were me. Good playing as always. Is that your Strat and your Peavey?

Sounds good. Your drumming is getting better. I hear a little lurch in the timing in a couple of places. I would just edit if it were me. Good playing as always. Is that your Strat and your Peavey?

Thanks Robus.
That is a late 70's Japanese LesPaul copy that is loaded with a set of pickups Muttley wound for me. It's going straigt into the peavey tube amp. I think I may have dialed in a tad too much pre gain...but the tone isn't bad IMO.

Yeah, sometimes it might lurch a tiny bit in spots, but good song and mix. Vocals are very good.

My only real objection is the lyrics. I do want those kind of drivers to be stuck on the bumper of a semi-truck!

The essence and force of Johnny Winter is strong with this one. :D

Drumming is vasty improving.
Little glitches, off time don't bother me. It adds to the gritty blues/rock band playing in a bar feel.

I didn't the drumming was that bad. I thought it was a real good snare sound. The rest of the kit sounded pretty good as well.

Bass sounded good and I think it was about the right level.

The rhythm guitars are way back in the mix. I'd like more from them.

Love the lead tone and playing.

Great clarity on the vocal.

Wow lol that sounds really good. Is that you singing? because that sounds really good and gives it that old school vibe
Thanks for checking it out Trey-jay.
Yes, that is me singing.

Yeah, sometimes it might lurch a tiny bit in spots, but good song and mix. Vocals are very good.

My only real objection is the lyrics. I do want those kind of drivers to be stuck on the bumper of a semi-truck!
Thanks Keith.
Lol
Yeah, those drivers are irritating. A car weaving all over the road used to be a drunk, now it's a phone.

The essence and force of Johnny Winter is strong with this one. :D

Drumming is vasty improving.
Little glitches, off time don't bother me. It adds to the gritty blues/rock band playing in a bar feel.
Thanks RFR.
It's pretty much a one take deal on the drums for me. I record drums with 4 mics...2 overheads, one mic on the share and one mic on the kick. It's difficult to edit snare and kick hits without effecting the hi hat and cymbals. So, I just try to play it right and live with the performance.

I didn't the drumming was that bad. I thought it was a real good snare sound. The rest of the kit sounded pretty good as well.

Bass sounded good and I think it was about the right level.

The rhythm guitars are way back in the mix. I'd like more from them.

Love the lead tone and playing.

Great clarity on the vocal.
Thanks for the mix critique M. I will revisit this mix and bump the rythym guitars a bit.

Last edited:
I liked it a lot!!

As someone mentioned.....it has a sort of "live" feel.......as if it was done in a small club. I don't have any particular issues with the drumming......except that I didn't care for the sound of the snare. I think it's a little to "fat" but hey....that's only an opinion for sure. The guitar leads and tone are awesome. I've been trying to get that tone for 40 years. You're a blues man for sure. Thanks for the listen.

Nice work, Jimi!! My first thought was 'sounds live' also, before even reading the comments. Sounds live in a good way, though.

The minor timing issues aren't that bad at all, adds to the feel in a good way. Good sounds all around, great tones. If the drums were cleaner it would lose some vibe.

All it's missing is random "Woo! 's" from girls in the crowd, and some random cheering and clapping!

I'd be carefull turning up the rhythms, go with just a db at first, see if you like it. Then maybe try 2db, and check that. But too much and you'll crowd the recording too much. You could probably get away with 1db, but I like 'em right where they're at actually.

Nice work bud!

Yeah, the rhythm, or lack of it, didn't hit me on my listen, and it could generate more work if it's one of the contributors to the loose feel (which I think most of us agree is really Ok). I'd be careful with that and keep the nudges small, and making sure to A/B loudness-matched versions. Or, if you nudge one thing, think about what else might get a tug - could be just some EQ moves would achieve something similar without touching the overall level.

I liked it a lot!!

As someone mentioned.....it has a sort of "live" feel.......as if it was done in a small club. I don't have any particular issues with the drumming......except that I didn't care for the sound of the snare. I think it's a little to "fat" but hey....that's only an opinion for sure. The guitar leads and tone are awesome. I've been trying to get that tone for 40 years. You're a blues man for sure. Thanks for the listen.
Thanks Mickster.
The snare is picked up on the left over head and the right over head....then I have it recorded with a sm57 close to the head. That track is panned center. It think maybe the share panned left, right, and center may be making it sound fat.
Nice work, Jimi!! My first thought was 'sounds live' also, before even reading the comments. Sounds live in a good way, though.

The minor timing issues aren't that bad at all, adds to the feel in a good way. Good sounds all around, great tones. If the drums were cleaner it would lose some vibe.

All it's missing is random "Woo! 's" from girls in the crowd, and some random cheering and clapping!

I'd be carefull turning up the rhythms, go with just a db at first, see if you like it. Then maybe try 2db, and check that. But too much and you'll crowd the recording too much. You could probably get away with 1db, but I like 'em right where they're at actually.

Nice work bud!
Thanks Johnny.
I agree about turning up one thing in a mix affect a everything else. I have done that and had one tweak lead to another and lost my way back to what sounded good before I tweaked everything.
Lol
I think we all probably have.
Yeah, the rhythm, or lack of it, didn't hit me on my listen, and it could generate more work if it's one of the contributors to the loose feel (which I think most of us agree is really Ok). I'd be careful with that and keep the nudges small, and making sure to A/B loudness-matched versions. Or, if you nudge one thing, think about what else might get a tug - could be just some EQ moves would achieve something similar without touching the overall level.
Thanks Keith.
I'm doing inventory this weekend but am looking forward to playing with the rythym guitars a little.

Livin up to your screen name, jimi - Jesus H this is sweet. You've got some nice Hendrix sounds going there, it's like he would sound if he was in a studio today. I really dig your playing!

IMO section

One of my only "botherments" is the snare, I'd like a crisper sound to it.
I'd like to hear the ride a little more clearly. I don't know how to explain it, it's both the attack of the stick on the cymbal and the overall gain on the track.

Being a long time Jimi fan, I'm too overwhelmed by your take on this to complain more.

Thanks for this,
Timbo

Livin up to your screen name, jimi - Jesus H this is sweet. You've got some nice Hendrix sounds going there, it's like he would sound if he was in a studio today. I really dig your playing!

IMO section

One of my only "botherments" is the snare, I'd like a crisper sound to it.
I'd like to hear the ride a little more clearly. I don't know how to explain it, it's both the attack of the stick on the cymbal and the overall gain on the track.

Being a long time Jimi fan, I'm too overwhelmed by your take on this to complain more.

Thanks for this,
Timbo
Thanks for the kind words yellowdwarf. I'm a Hendrix fan too and I appreciate you giving my tune a listen

Back