genre

8&%$43

I might add that this is not a desperate attempt to get views and download numbers up at our bands MP3.com page...we really don't have enough hits at this point to add up to anything (unlike some of you other crafty devils). Until we finish building our practice/recording studio (hopefully within the month) we are doomed to shopping our scraps and practice tapes, and 4track diddlings. This is a point where we're trying to get poised and a good self analysis of our sound. The garageband contest seems like a good avenue for unbiased review, except no one wants to leave a review with comments. Shit!!!! Come on you!!!! Gibs!!!! DRstawl come on now!!!! You've already heard it, now click that little button and stick your finger there on that there keyboard and express your thoughtful self.

The Thrigs

Rats,

I found this music to be most fitting as an Industrial-Rock genre. I also found some space-rock similarities, you know kind of like Hawkwind stuff.

ps. What song do you like the best?

Royston: Thanks for the response! After our first gig, some friends that hadn't heard us yet came up to us and said we sounded like a cross between Hawkwind, Devo, and Sonic Youth! That blew my mind, because for one I've never heard Hawkwind (still haven't), and the only Devo I'm familiar with is Whip it and Satisfaction, which I don't think we sound anything like. WE are trying to get away from the industrial rock thing, it's sort of a carry-over from my mid 90's experiments, although I do want to hold on to an element of the electronic sound if that makes sense. Ever listen to the Beta Band? I think I need to go download some Hawkwind....

Here's what I can offer

I would put it in Industrial/Punk. I generally think of Alternative as sort of a cross between grunge and folk and rock, kinda sorta. Your songs sounded a little more edgy than that, with the feedback and distorto vocals. Keep it up.
That's my vote.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

I think the whole genre thing is too highly abused and demented down at mp3.com which is one reason I haven't uploaded any of my music there.
But in all honesty the main reason is I'm too lazy. I did it for a friend of mine and was severely annoyed at being dragged through that demographic survey of each song.
Even he couldn't make sense of what to answer for each of those endless, prodding questions. It felt like I was taking one of those personality disorder surveys.
They don't have any Electro-Gamelan category.
What were they thinking?
Your stuff is rock and roll.
What more do you need to know?

Yeah Drstawls right that place is a pain in the ass. I skipped over a lot of that survey crap myself, but unfortunately the genre classification is mandatory, and will have a serious impact on both the people who listen to and rate your music, and the music that your song will be running against and compared to.

Thanks gibs, meshuggah, DR for the response.

Back