Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: g.r. mp-2nv, a soundelux u195 and a touch of reverb

Thanks

g.r. mp-2nv, a soundelux u195 and a touch of reverb

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi,
    for anyone interested in hearing a great river mp-2nv and/or a soundelux u195, i've posted my first song recorded with the combination at www.nowhereradio.com/mysterium

its under discography in the singles folder. Its just a small song i wrote for my girlfriend and it's called "Evelyn"
    I'm terrified of my voice so i was reluctant to post it here but i just thought someone might like to hear what a good mic and pre can do to your recordings. The song was done in one take miced at a distance of 6 inches from the bottom of my chin pointed slighty up towards my mouth. The u195 went straight to the great river and the gain was set to the max for coloration. Recorded in nuendo and used a touch of waves ren. verb. Minimal mixing and no eq were applied. It's refreshing not to have to fight to get a good sound anymore. There are some rough edges but my girlfriend didn't care...i was just doing it for some major brownie points

Cheers,
    Scriabin
    Last edited by Scriabin; 12-07-2002 at 10:43.

Thanks

Re: g.r. mp-2nv, a soundelux u195 and a touch of reverb

Originally posted by Scriabin
    great river mp-2nv and/or a soundelux u195
    So...the "mp-2nr" is the pre, right?

Sounds freakin' great. I mean, my name's not elelyn or anthing, but still.

Ahhh...being in love. Seems like I remember what that was like...no wait; I'm thinking of gas. Sounds like fun, and the recording is great. (I'd lose the sigh, but since you've already TOTALLY screwed up by letting her hear it before you ran it by me, you must live with the consequences).
    Last edited by chrisharris; 12-07-2002 at 10:15.

Thanks
    I certaintly know what a good mic and pre do to your stuff now!

Im quite inspired to spend some money

Thanks
    No EQ? I woulda never guessed. This combo has more top end than anything I've heard through my cheap stuff. I mean, its BRIGHT. Very interesting to me.

The song was cool too. Especially in a day and age where male writers would be mortified to actually say "I love you" for fear of looking wimpy!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Scribblin', <------

No need to worry about the voice there... not bad at all. It's a nice song, with good changes. The piano sits particularly well in your mix.

Now, forgive me... but I'm actually hearing some major hiss in the track... (possible mp3 encoding?)...

Was that for effect? What kind of cables are you using? What's your interface? (sound card, etc) What kind of "level" did you get in both the acoustic/vocal track? (ie is the sound wave kind of skinny looking, or is it to the point of clipping) The sound card, or cables, or something, has got to be what's messing up your stuff here.

I'm just wondering. That mic and pre are certainly KILLER (about $3000 for the pair )... you'll no doubt enjoy them. Thanks for listening to my complaints

Chad

Thanks
    hahaha. Rofl. That was extremely funny. I cant stop smiling.

that was a rode nt1 through a dbx386. You just wanted to see what kinda comments people would give if they thought that it was an expensive channel ,right?

but wait, its not april 1. You might not be playing a joke afterall. This might actually be a soundelux going into a great river.

Its one of the worst sounding channels I've ever heard, bar none. I mean, I have heard rode nt1s and shure sm58s going into the cheapest of preamps sound better than this. I thought my blueberry was bad till I heard this.

The top end is not at all smooth, and it sounds like the sibilants are swords trying to cut my head off.

Your voice is good and the song is ok. I suggest you dont stand 8 inches from that mic if you want it to sound acceptable. I would be 3 inches or less from the thing. A better Idea would be to sell it and get a real mic, like a vintage u87 (they go for less than 1 grand this days.) sell the GR and get a vmp2, and use the change to get some good converters.

http://stuwww.hsu.edu/s/se108368/web/secret.mp3
    My mind is made up. Dont confuse me with facts.

The kind of girl I want, wants the kind of guy I'm not.

Thanks
    Well, I don't think you have any reason at all to be worried about your voice. Sounds good to me. Good heartfelt tune and nice performance. There is *quite* a bit of high end on this one though. I think some eq might be in order after all.

Women? What do they have to do with our music?

Oh yeah, they're why we started playing...

Chris

Thanks
    I think Cyan has completely flipped off his rocker on this one.
    Not only was it rather rude to just bash the guy like that, but it was pretty much a bad call too.
    What I am hearing is some sibilance, yes, but something that could probably definately be remedied with some mic placement.
    I head a very clean, pretty, and intimate vocal track. My favorite thing is to be able to hear those up close throat sounds and the little sharp details.
    Thats a nice chain, dont be bummed. Probably the same chain I will have here soon, only through an MP1NV.
    I like what I hear. Were the guitars done with it also?
    Peace!
    Paul

Thanks
    I actually really like your voice- I'd call the weakness quality vulnerability, or even honesty. Be happy with it- so great I'll let the outta-tune guitar slide

The mix is terribly brittle- I'm listening on headphones, so I'm sure the highs are exagerrated...but your can hear a sizzle after every syllable. That combo is intense on the ears, friend

Bust out the eq, and you've got a great tune!

(put some more piano in there too!)

-Chris

Thanks
    This is really weird. I think this is like the 3rd or 4th post I've seen come back from last December today, but it's different people bumping them, lol.

Thread Information