Funtime

Bulls Hit

For some reason the lyrics to Iggy Pop's Funtime popped into my head when listening back to this jam after being away for a month. Lyrically challenged as I am, I latched on to them like a leech. Thank you Iggy.

This doesn't sound anything like his Funtime classic but I tried to capture a similar vibe. How are the levels, and overall balance of the vocal with the backing?

Dropbox - FuntimeMix2.mp3 - Simplify your life

Last edited:
I like it. I think the vox levels sound good. Sounds to me that your song is more instrument driven and not so much vocal driven so If you bring them up anymore it may stick out too much. I think overall it sounds really good. It's really "in your face" energy

i dig the heaviness of this...
the mix has a lot of ear candy going on,
but the drums seem overdriven, not sure if that's a lo-fi decision,
or added saturation....
it's definitely a statement!

the guitars are supremely crunchy

Hey Bulls Hit, theirs a name I recognize from back in the day :>) . Still kicking out the great jamz !!! Great choice for inspiration, love classic Iggy! Dig the panned effects and heavy drums....always loved your style !

Brutish - thanks for the listen

Gonzo - Haha I wasn't consciously trying for lo-fi but I do like crunchy distortion on ..well..everything. So actually yeah that probably is quite lo-fi. Cheers dude

CoolCat - thanks man, appreciate it

stratmonkee - Cheers man. Hey great to see you back. looking forward to hearing some more of your stuff... Was it you that did that cover of Good times Bad Times, like 10 years ago?

"stratmonkee - Cheers man. Hey great to see you back. looking forward to hearing some more of your stuff... Was it you that did that cover of Good times Bad Times, like 10 years ago?"

YUP ! That was me, you did great vocals on that!

Holy crunchy, bizarro-panned goodness!

Love it.

Listened several times and kept sounding better.

I didn’t really pay close attention to the vocal level...I guess it was fine, but the tone and the heaviness and the spatial quality of this mix were winners.

Listened to this the other day and coming back around to it. Don't know the original, but this is cool. Kinda addictive, in a way.

I think it could use some global sculpting around the 300hz area and then add more punch on the kick. I wouldn't want you to lose all that nice heavy bottom action, but i think it needs to open up just a little.

Love all the distortion. I recently did a song where I added distortion to my vocals. It was cool, but it didn't come as heavy as yours did here.

cheers

heatmiser - thanks for checking it out. Good to see you back on deck

Chili - It's not actually a cover, I just borrowed Iggy's lyrics and attitude. But you should check out the original it's a classic. Bowie did the backing vocals. I ran the vocal out through a focusrite channel strip which seemed to help it fit a bit easier. I'll take a look at the low mids and kick again. Cheers for the feedabck

Back