Funky Rock Metal tune, take a listen, you may just like it

monkeymanx

Straight Jacket Sunday Soundclick Page

Above is the link to the songs page on my soundclick site. I just have the song up for hi fi and lo fi play... sorry now download mp3 at this time... Mainly, I'm working on my full length album right now... So I'm going to be trying to sell this and I'm not sure at this point what songs are gonna be the freebie downloads...

A little background on this one. Over the weekend I visited my wife and kids and left to go back to work on Monday. Well, Monday in CT had the most blue and beautiful sky and I had so much fun with my sons. Now I'm back in VA working and it is nice and gray outside...

Anyway, let me know what you think about the overall sound and feel of the song. I really want this disc I'm putting out to be top quality stuff...

Very cool man...different for you, but still the same, if ya know what I mean. I like it...nice straight ahead rhythm to it, and good sounds. AS far as teh mix goes, I think you could back the main guitar down a db or two, and give teh drums some more room. It's plenty loud, and the drums aren't quite as clear as I've heard you get. Small nit, and just a comparison to some of your other works. I do really like it...the lyrics are quite catchy, but not cheesey...very well done man. :cool:

I'll give it a whirl next time I open this guy up in Cubase and take a listen to what it sounds like with the guitars down 1 or 1/2 db. The more stuff you have, the harder it is to mix. Most of my tunes have guitars, bass, drums, vox, and various samples and keyboard parts so it gets tricky some times...

Thanks for the feedback. It is deffinately different but the same... I think it's because I use the Baritone tuned to A and also I use alot of syncopation with the drums bass and guitars, thats just my style.

I like the riff and guitar sound. The vocals are cool too, but I think you're washing them in too much verb in the chorus. Instead of reverb you could try a 'stereoizer' plug like a delay modulator, and spread them wide in the chorus. I agree with Dogman, the guitars are a tad hot. Good stuff, I like

I think it is the delay you are hearing during the chorus... The reverb I use on the vocal tracks is pretty subtle. I know what your talking about, a stereo simulator... I could just record 2 vocal tracks and pan hard right and left, it gives the same effect but sounds better in my opinion. I just like the way natural doubling sounds, that is what I do. Actually the chorus is 3 vocal tracks, one with distortion, one with delay, and one that is sung in a slightly lower voice.

I'm not sure about the guitars... I took them down 1db and it sounded fine, but I want to make sure they are exploding through. I guess the 1 db would be alright...

The vocal melodies are really good but the verse melody doesn't seem to gell with the backing in my ears - the melody has a funky flow like the Saw Doctors but the backing is a lot heavier.
Good recording, playing & mixing.
Maybe just add some maore pauses to the riff in the verse to give it a funky feel?
This is really good - I'm just looking for something to say I guess.

I like this cut alot Man!
Only thing I would say is to "lift" that vocal a little - seems a little buried to me - Other than that - Good Track !!

I think the vocals are sort of up beat 311 style during the rhythem... Sort of hip hopish but not quite, which is generally fit alot of words in where you can, and use some pauses. I've never listened to the Saw Doctors though, so I'm not sure how they sound. Actually when I originally wrote the guitar riff for the verse, it sort of reminded me of the Chili Peppers some what.

I'm probably gonna bring the guitars down 1/2 db by taking 2 of the 4 distorted guitar tracks down by 1db. I'll also probably lift one of the vocal tracks and leave the double somewhat in the back...

Thanks for all the input guys.

monkeymanx said:
I think the vocals are sort of up beat 311 style during the rhythem... Sort of hip hopish but not quite, which is generally fit alot of words in where you can, and use some pauses. I've never listened to the Saw Doctors though, so I'm not sure how they sound. Actually when I originally wrote the guitar riff for the verse, it sort of reminded me of the Chili Peppers some what.

I'm probably gonna bring the guitars down 1/2 db by taking 2 of the 4 distorted guitar tracks down by 1db. I'll also probably lift one of the vocal tracks and leave the double somewhat in the back...

Thanks for all the input guys.

Sounds like a bad punch looped a couple of times on the clean guitar part in the beginning. Something really caught my attention at :12

No... the clean guitars were just too loud at the beginning causing a pop and click sound and some distortion... Mainly when the vocal part somes in. Somebody the cubase boards pointed that out to me and I've gone back and did some tweaking...

The latest one I've uploaded has some changes... Main vocal part is 1db louder, kept the double the same volume though. Took down 1db off of 2 of 4 of the distorted guitar parts. Took down the beginning synth sounding vocals by 1db. Changed limiters. Changed overall EQ of the final mix just a tad.

Good songrwriting. I like the verses alot; they have a very original sound (to my ears).
Good mix.
I don't like metal guitar, so I would use more of a hard rock tone.
The verses feel heavier than the chorus. I would remove the atmospheric things in the chorus and make it heavier than the verses--just a personal preference.
Did you double the lyrics? Not to make another criticism, but... I wouldn't double the lyrics.
BTW, it's awesome that you wrote it for your sons. Keep up the good work.
Good song, man.

Very good tune dude!!!!

I had to listen to this one twice and im a metal head :D

I would say put this one on the disc man, I guess the lyrics hit close to home for me i have a little girl and i dont get to see her much becuse i work so much!!

I dig the verse vibe a lot too. The vocal melody reminds me of 311, in the right kind of way.

I like the lyrics, especially your chorus. Nice work, manx.

-Casey

Yea, I doubled the verses and the chorus is trippled... It's just a personal preference with me. I've always liked the doubled vocals, even back with my Tascas 424MkII. I'm not going to use it on everysong though, like the verse parts to the one ballad style song I wrote. But on a song like this I like, just like I prefer the extreme metal guitars, even on rock songs. It's all just preference like you said.

Yea, the 311 vibe is there. I wasn't really thinking about it until I was actually singing along with it.

Thanks for all the feedback and help here I really appreciate it. I'll probably be doing some kind of contest or something to do a give a way of a couple albums, probably like five. I've almost finished 2 more, just some final touches. I still have quite a bit of work, I have to write vocals to 7 more tunes and record vocals on 9 of them. Also got to get some artwork for the album. I'm hoping I can have it done around the new year, hopefully earilier if time permits, I've been working 12hr shifts so time has been somewhat tight.

Back