Funky little original needs mixing advice

Metaphoria

http://boomp3.com/m/9b267e590d96

My first real attempt at a semi-decent recording. Well, the only thing "recorded" is the vocals. The guitar tone was created with me lining in my guitar and using an amp simulator, and the rest is VST.

I'm fairly happy with how it came out, but I thought I'd toss it to you guys to tear it apart =)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ok, here goes: listening as I write:

1. love the intro. perfect amount of chorus on guitars
2. snare sounds great
3. i'd like more kick though...
4. vocals are good. sit on top nicely...maybe a tad more level on the BGVs
5. nice tune here!
6. guitar solo - drums are too loud. steps on teh solo too much. bring the solo out more up front, give it some more meat too, (not sure how to do that, more low-mid and low?)
7. liked the song there...good job!

cholo

Thanks! Yeah, the kick definitely needed a bit of a boost, so I fixed that up. Still working on the solo. Got it sounding a bit fuller though.

It's amazing how real drum samplers are sounding these days! The main things I noticed other than what 'elcholo' said (which, for the most part, I agree with) is that I'd roll off a bit of the high end on the guitars, after about 10k I think. There's some odd really high-pitched sound associated with the strumming that only an amp sim could provide :p It sounds kind of like one of those egg shakers, except it's always 100% perfectly in-time with the guitars.

The only other thing, and this is more of a composition-type thing which you could take or leave, is that I'd do something slightly different with the guitars in the choruses vs. the verses. Were it me, I'd put an extra couple slightly beefier guitars panned around 65% L & R, and bring down the strummy guitars just a tad, to add some fullness to the choruses. The song would feel more dynamic that way, 'cause it's kind of one-dimensional now. I like to think of mixes like a movie plotline: if it's all action all the time, or no action none of the time, it can seem sort of thin. With the right mixture, you'll always be wanting for more! :)

Just my $0.02 :D Nice mix!

Back