Funky Jam: Redux

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
Talk about beating a dead horse. :eek:

Over in this thread (https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=310322) I was "testing" my drum recordings by putting a little jam around some recent drum tracks. The thing is--all the guitars were DI and modeled. I hadn't messed with mic placement and amp settings in the room yet.

So now I've retracked everything (not the drums--just all the guitars & bass) and expanded it a bit. In this version, everything's mic'd in the new room--even the bass. (I split the bass and tracked both the mic'd amp and a DI signal--but just used the mic'd amp.)

I'm going for a big, punchy mix, but big in terms of space and clarity--not just an overly full mix. Let me know what you think if you care to listen.

Thanks,

WS

Listened through headphones (Grado SR-225's - great cans)

Yeah.. This sounds amazingly clear.

The only nit I really found as I listened was the sound of the different instruments seemed a bit disjointed. Everything is about as crystal-clear as is possible on earth. I wish I could spend a week with you in your studio to learn as much as I possibly could on how you get the sound you get.

But, still, as clear as everything was, it seemed as if each instrument was playing on its own, in a not-so-good way. Not sure what it was, but the tune seemed to lack the "gel" factor. I hope that make sense, and is helpful, but man alive...

If you wrote a book on how to get that sound, I'd buy it before it was printed.

Now, I've gotta go to sleep before I puke.

Listened through headphones (Grado SR-225's - great cans)

Yeah.. This sounds amazingly clear.

The only nit I really found as I listened was the sound of the different instruments seemed a bit disjointed. Everything is about as crystal-clear as is possible on earth. I wish I could spend a week with you in your studio to learn as much as I possibly could on how you get the sound you get.

But, still, as clear as everything was, it seemed as if each instrument was playing on its own, in a not-so-good way. Not sure what it was, but the tune seemed to lack the "gel" factor. I hope that make sense, and is helpful, but man alive...

If you wrote a book on how to get that sound, I'd buy it before it was printed.

Now, I've gotta go to sleep before I puke.

Y'know, I couldn't put my finger on what was bugging me about this, but you nailed it. Except I'm hearing what you described more just around a couple guitar solo sections--specifically the first and last one (I think the middle one works). The tone and "wetness" of the lead in those two spots just doesn't fit the tune.

Is that maybe what you're hearing, or does the rest of it lack glue as well?

And thanks for the listen and the input. It's really helping me get things tuned up.

I agree with the disjointed thing. I think maybe if you add a pinch of room reverb to each instrument it might bring them into the same space. The other thing that I noticed is that the rhythm guitars sound like you are trying to play quietly which doesn't match the intensity of the drums. And the lead guitars seem to lack presence and bite in the high end. Other than that it sounded good...except maybe for the bass...:D

Okay--now I'm done. It's perfect!!! (Well, maybe not, but I've spent enough time on this "not a real song" so it's time to move on and apply these lessons to the next project).

Ocnor nailed it (as did others in a way)--each piece sounded good, but they weren't fitting together. A touch of the same reverb in varying degrees helped, but the energy level on the guitars didn't match the drums (thanks ocnor!). So once again, I retracked everything! But this time I changed the rhythm parts between left and right (instead of playing the same exact thing), and used a different amp for one side. Most importantly--I tried to play the guitars and bass with a bit more energy to better match the drums.

So is it more cohesive now?

By Jove I think you've got it! Everything is nice and clear as well as cohesive. I wish that my recordings had the clarity of yours. Which preamps/interface do you use?

By Jove I think you've got it! Everything is nice and clear as well as cohesive. I wish that my recordings had the clarity of yours. Which preamps/interface do you use?

Whew...I thought you were gonna bust my balls again! Seriously--I appreciate the help.

Most of my "nicer" pres (and they're not nice by some folks standards) are patched into vocals and acoustic mics, so almost everything in this recording is coming through M-Audio Octanes--basically 8 channels of DMP3 preamps from what I've been told. I've got 2 of 'em: one's all drums, the other is various guitar amps (including the bass amp). One exception--the drum overheads are going through and Art MPA Gold.

The interface is a Presonus Firestudio Lightbridge--32 channels, all ADAT. So everything has to be converted to digital before it gets there--some misc preamps go through Behringer ADA8000's (perish the thought!) to get digital, but not in this case. The Octanes have digital outs.

I only busted your balls because I knew that you could make it better which you did. I tend to rag on people the same way that I would one of my own brothers. This is often misinterpreted which is why some people think that I'm just being an overly critical dick.

I only busted your balls because I knew that you could make it better which you did. I tend to rag on people the same way that I would one of my own brothers. This is often misinterpreted which is why some people think that I'm just being an overly critical dick.

Nah...I can smell what you're cooking. And I appreciate it.

Sorry, dude... It's still not loading. It's connecting just fine, but it waits forever for the mp3 to be served up, and then it times out. I've gotta get to bed. I'll give this a listen tomorrow.

The new link stalled at about 30% done. I reverted to the original & it hurtled down the line.
I retried the latest links to get the update BUT no go Joe.
I like what I heard in F3 - hopr to hear the F4 version soon!

The sound is beautifully clear, Bob.
I would make the bass growl a bit more but that's just me. Amazing performance! ;)

Loved the drum sound, especially the snare. Great guitar playing.

Seemed like a little flub on the drums at about 1:01. The beat seemed to go off for a few seconds.

Just one of your 'Octane" pres cost about as much as I've spent on my pre, mics and headphones! :( I'm trying to build a home studio where the only thing my wife notices that's missing is me from our bedroom on Friday and Sat. nights! So, now I know what my studio needs, besides some talent. Your performance sounds great. I like that "woman tone" on the lead guitar, nice. The whole thing is tight, solid and clear. Thanks for the schooling man!:spank:

:D

Back