Funky Jam

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
This isn't a new tune--in fact it was done a couple years ago, so I'm not even looking for a critique. This is just a nostalgic post.

I haven't done much recording in the past couple years, and I was going through my SoundCloud account looking for samples to share with a potential recording client, and I came across this one. It's one of my favorites--largely because everything was a "real" instrument. Not even a direct line in. And no VSTs at all! Even though I'm a guitarist, I think the drums are the most important part of a rock tune, and I really like the drum sound on this track. I still have the same setup, but I've lost the drummer--and he was killer. I really need to find a new one...

Howdy - yup, that sounds really good. I've listened a few times already since you put this up.

Even though this kind of thing is pretty far outside of what I listen to, I enjoyed listening to the musicianship and the clarity of the recording, especially from a home recorder's perspective where things often don't come out so tight and organized and professional.

The drummer was like your son-in-law or something, right? I probably shouldn't ask, but how did you lose him?

Howdy - yup, that sounds really good. I've listened a few times already since you put this up.

Even though this kind of thing is pretty far outside of what I listen to, I enjoyed listening to the musicianship and the clarity of the recording, especially from a home recorder's perspective where things often don't come out so tight and organized and professional.

The drummer was like your son-in-law or something, right? I probably shouldn't ask, but how did you lose him?

Yep--he was my son-in-law. And no, he didn't die or go missing in a avalanche or anything crazy--just a plain ol' failed marriage. He and my daughter made it about 3 years...

Yep--he was my son-in-law. And no, he didn't die or go missing in a avalanche or anything crazy--just a plain ol' failed marriage. He and my daughter made it about 3 years...

And for what it's worth--I still love the guy. I miss him more as a person than as a drummer. Obviously, my main goal is to focus on my daughter and help her get whole and restarted with her life (and she's well on her way), but I seriously wish him well. I hope he and I cross paths again in the future.

Great tune and playing! :)

What sticks out to me in the mix, is a lack of 'shimmer' in the 10-15Khz range. Though it may be more that the low end is a bit 'boomy' around 100-160Hz on my system.

Great tune and playing! :)

What sticks out to me in the mix, is a lack of 'shimmer' in the 10-15Khz range. Though it may be more that the low end is a bit 'boomy' around 100-160Hz on my system.
I agree with this.

I know you weren't looking for critiques, but there is some low mid muckup going on and a little lack of overall shine. I think the problem with the low end is mostly in the kick. It's got that "boxiness" to it that most folks cut out. More super low thump and less mids & low mids would help it I think. The rest is pretty good. Good guitar tones. Do you remember the guitar setup? Amps and mics and shit?

I agree with this.

I know you weren't looking for critiques, but there is some low mid muckup going on and a little lack of overall shine. I think the problem with the low end is mostly in the kick. It's got that "boxiness" to it that most folks cut out. More super low thump and less mids & low mids would help it I think. The rest is pretty good. Good guitar tones. Do you remember the guitar setup? Amps and mics and shit?

Actually, I do remember the guitar set up. And I still have this file in its raw form. I think I might just take this advice and spend some time tweaking this one over the weekend. I'll get busy on that, but in the meantime, if there's something you wanna know about the amps and mics and shit, let me know. I should be able to deduce it by the track notes in the original mix file.

I agree with what's been said. Every instrument sounds good on its own but all mixed together there is a hollowness for lack of a better term. I'm not very good at expressing myself in these critiques.... Sorry. I'm nit picking anyway. The guitar tones were very good. I loved the fast muted single note runs. Very nice playing. The rythum section was tight and I liked the snare sound.

I agree with what's been said. Every instrument sounds good on its own but all mixed together there is a hollowness for lack of a better term. I'm not very good at expressing myself in these critiques.... Sorry. I'm nit picking anyway. The guitar tones were very good. I loved the fast muted single note runs. Very nice playing. The rythum section was tight and I liked the snare sound.

Thanks for the input Jimi--I appreciate it. The fact that you're hearing some of the same stuff as the others just confirms that I'm not hearing something right on my end. I'm even listening to this on different speakers than I used to mix it way back when. Hopefully I can get to tweaking this mix sometime this weekend and posting up a new version.

Yep, it's cool. It'd be worth trying Greg's suggestion - nothing like making real good really good.

Back