Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Funky Jam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,779
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Funky Jam

    Sign in to disable this ad
    This isn't a new tune--in fact it was done a couple years ago, so I'm not even looking for a critique. This is just a nostalgic post.

    I haven't done much recording in the past couple years, and I was going through my SoundCloud account looking for samples to share with a potential recording client, and I came across this one. It's one of my favorites--largely because everything was a "real" instrument. Not even a direct line in. And no VSTs at all! Even though I'm a guitarist, I think the drums are the most important part of a rock tune, and I really like the drum sound on this track. I still have the same setup, but I've lost the drummer--and he was killer. I really need to find a new one...


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,342
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 89 Times in 85 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Howdy - yup, that sounds really good. I've listened a few times already since you put this up.

    Even though this kind of thing is pretty far outside of what I listen to, I enjoyed listening to the musicianship and the clarity of the recording, especially from a home recorder's perspective where things often don't come out so tight and organized and professional.

    The drummer was like your son-in-law or something, right? I probably shouldn't ask, but how did you lose him?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    749
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    2724492
    Nothing to critique but I enjoyed listening to it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,779
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Howdy - yup, that sounds really good. I've listened a few times already since you put this up.

    Even though this kind of thing is pretty far outside of what I listen to, I enjoyed listening to the musicianship and the clarity of the recording, especially from a home recorder's perspective where things often don't come out so tight and organized and professional.

    The drummer was like your son-in-law or something, right? I probably shouldn't ask, but how did you lose him?
    Yep--he was my son-in-law. And no, he didn't die or go missing in a avalanche or anything crazy--just a plain ol' failed marriage. He and my daughter made it about 3 years...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,779
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStrat View Post
    Yep--he was my son-in-law. And no, he didn't die or go missing in a avalanche or anything crazy--just a plain ol' failed marriage. He and my daughter made it about 3 years...
    And for what it's worth--I still love the guy. I miss him more as a person than as a drummer. Obviously, my main goal is to focus on my daughter and help her get whole and restarted with her life (and she's well on her way), but I seriously wish him well. I hope he and I cross paths again in the future.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    19,578
    Thanks
    986
    Thanked 728 Times in 652 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Great tune and playing!

    What sticks out to me in the mix, is a lack of 'shimmer' in the 10-15Khz range. Though it may be more that the low end is a bit 'boomy' around 100-160Hz on my system.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    the eye of satan's butthole
    Posts
    36,068
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 557 Times in 500 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Great tune and playing!

    What sticks out to me in the mix, is a lack of 'shimmer' in the 10-15Khz range. Though it may be more that the low end is a bit 'boomy' around 100-160Hz on my system.
    I agree with this.

    I know you weren't looking for critiques, but there is some low mid muckup going on and a little lack of overall shine. I think the problem with the low end is mostly in the kick. It's got that "boxiness" to it that most folks cut out. More super low thump and less mids & low mids would help it I think. The rest is pretty good. Good guitar tones. Do you remember the guitar setup? Amps and mics and shit?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,779
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    I agree with this.

    I know you weren't looking for critiques, but there is some low mid muckup going on and a little lack of overall shine. I think the problem with the low end is mostly in the kick. It's got that "boxiness" to it that most folks cut out. More super low thump and less mids & low mids would help it I think. The rest is pretty good. Good guitar tones. Do you remember the guitar setup? Amps and mics and shit?
    Actually, I do remember the guitar set up. And I still have this file in its raw form. I think I might just take this advice and spend some time tweaking this one over the weekend. I'll get busy on that, but in the meantime, if there's something you wanna know about the amps and mics and shit, let me know. I should be able to deduce it by the track notes in the original mix file.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    3,954
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 315 Times in 295 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474858
    I agree with what's been said. Every instrument sounds good on its own but all mixed together there is a hollowness for lack of a better term. I'm not very good at expressing myself in these critiques.... Sorry. I'm nit picking anyway. The guitar tones were very good. I loved the fast muted single note runs. Very nice playing. The rythum section was tight and I liked the snare sound.
    I was country before they took the O out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,779
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    I agree with what's been said. Every instrument sounds good on its own but all mixed together there is a hollowness for lack of a better term. I'm not very good at expressing myself in these critiques.... Sorry. I'm nit picking anyway. The guitar tones were very good. I loved the fast muted single note runs. Very nice playing. The rythum section was tight and I liked the snare sound.
    Thanks for the input Jimi--I appreciate it. The fact that you're hearing some of the same stuff as the others just confirms that I'm not hearing something right on my end. I'm even listening to this on different speakers than I used to mix it way back when. Hopefully I can get to tweaking this mix sometime this weekend and posting up a new version.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Funky Jam: Redux
    By WhiteStrat in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 09:47
  2. Funky Jam: Testing 1, 2, 3
    By WhiteStrat in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 14:18
  3. Funky but not
    By acattoir in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 22:36
  4. Funky Jam
    By JohnDude in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 12:34
  5. Mixed from Korg to Fostex MR8 - a test of a jam - "Quick Jam 69"
    By junplugged in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 07:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •