Funky House / EDM track

dankemusic

Hey guys! This is my new track, it has some funky vibes and I'm pretty happy with it, it's the song in which I made less mixing and mastering processing as it sounded good to me before doing anything, but I'm sure there are a lot of errors I haven't seen, so any advice production, sounding, mixing or mastering wise would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Who did you sample, I would like to know the original before commenting on your addition. Sounds pretty good, that is why I am curious how much is yours.

Hi! It's the title of the song without the Danke Remix haha, I was starting this track and I was looking for a vocal that could fit the vibe, so I found this vocal on a remix contest, I haven't really listened to the original song, so the only not original thing is the vocal (it was heavily processed too when I download it)

I am asking because it sounded really good. Very nice job.

OK, now for feedback. Some rumble in the subs, just border rumble. I would check the sub frequencies below 50 and touch the roll off on EQ.

When it kicks in, vocals start to get buried, once instrument is a bit over bearing and walks on the vocals.

If you created this from just one stem and the rest is yours, you did a really great job! That is why I asked so many questions. Everything is interesting, nice beat, nice transitions, just a really good mix you have here.

Before you touch the sub, wait to see if others hear it, check the vocal part and the one synth about half way in the song.

Thanks, that's really encouraging!

I'll check the tracks to find where that rumble comes from, but in the first verse there's a sub bass all the way through to add bottom end, so if it's that what you are talking about I made it on purpose. The vocal was a bit hard to work on as it was very processed an it has a very pronounced reverb applied to it, but I can try to make something on it.

Other people told me that the overall sound is not good because of the mix and that the sounds are blurred, maybe that's why the vocal gets buried, maybe I should do some subtractive EQ to make place for every sound?

Thanks !

I get the sub part, but you don't want rumble, just tame it before it starts. You are right on the border on my system, and I have my subs turned down. Any roll off would be very slight. Just around 50 and below, just a touch.

Hey...I have zero experience with this genre other than hearing it blasting out of neighboring bars, but this sounds really good to me. I just have regular last century monitors (no sub), but it sounds balanced.

I actually think the vocal sits well, but again...I'm not shaking my walls with subsonic frequencies, either. This may not sound like a compliment, but I am complimenting you when I say "This is totally listenable."

#8 I see the acoustic kick drum on the verses go around 50 Hz but it's the sub of it, then there's a big peak that goes really low around 1 Hz in a FX that hits in the buildup, apart from that there's very little things going below 50 Hz, but I get that I have to low cut them out, I don't know why I didn't do it, I just had to finish the mix for the 30 of December so I just didn't had too much time and I don't have the practice yet, so I will remember for the next one!

#9 Totally listenable sounds pretty good to me haha

The vocal was a bit hard to work on as it was very processed an it has a very pronounced reverb applied to it
That's what I was about to ask about. The vocal chain is the only thing that was not really working for me on this mix. Weird 'verb and kind a sibilant at times, but I guess you can't do too much about that. :D

Otherwise, cool mix. Good variety of different tones and changes throughout.

just a touch lower on the energy change 1/4 of the way through. the new bass and kick tracks are a bit loud. kind of drowning that vocal out. you could leave it alone and i'd think it's a pro EDM track. not something I listen to, but still a very good song.

Q: Is the chord progression that the vocal came from the same here? Or did you write something based on the key of the vocal? Nice grooves. Nice leads. Were all the vocal tracks stems, or just the lead vocal?

just a touch lower on the energy change 1/4 of the way through. the new bass and kick tracks are a bit loud. kind of drowning that vocal out. you could leave it alone and i'd think it's a pro EDM track. not something I listen to, but still a very good song.

Q: Is the chord progression that the vocal came from the same here? Or did you write something based on the key of the vocal? Nice grooves. Nice leads. Were all the vocal tracks stems, or just the lead vocal?

Agreed and also curious what is original in the track?

Sounding quite good man.

#11 Yes it was a problem, don't get why they didn't put the dry vocal, but maybe I could try something!

#12 Glad you like it, I use FL Studio 12

#13 Yes the builds could be a bit lower now that you say it, also I see the thing with the kick drowning the vocal, I had problems with my previous tracks because the kick wasn't listenable and here I can see now that I just put it too loud.

I wrote first the chords, I was jamming with the bassline first and then I wrote the chord progression with the piano, after this I looked for vocals that could fit the vibe of the track, so I didn't even had the vocals yet at the time I wrote the chord progression. The vocal was just one stem with all the processing on it, that's why it sounds kind of weird with the rest of the mix.

#14 I made up everything except the vocal.

I'm really gratefull for all your comments, and it's really encouraging too that a lot of you like it, thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back