funk song

BrettB

Hi there,

Here's a funk song I recorded and want to share:

http://netdays.rootspirit.com/data/InMyBackyard(1).mp3

comments welcome

grtz

Brett

That's a really ambitious piece, and you mostly pulled it off. The mix is good too. I just want a little more kick, and a touch more vocal...the vocal FEELS plenty loud, but parts of it are getting covered up by the 10 other things going on, so you either need to carve out a little more space or bring the vocal up in those areas.

Thx for the comments chris!

Your remarks seem recognizable, it is a comment I also got from my teachers (I used this as one of my songs for my graduation project as a Producer, I graduated in june). They really liked the mix, but told me the horns were a bit in the way of the vocals.

Thx for listening! Next time I record such a peice, I will really take notice of it.

Wow,

Cool stuff. I can't even begin to critique the mix since I've never mixed anything this complicated. But I can tell what I hear.

I can't hear the vocals real well. Seem to be masked in some spots by the horns. Which by the way are arranged brilliantly.

I'm not digging the sound of the drum kit. Sounds too Rock and Roll for this piece.

Other than that, man, this is really good.

thx fo thecompliments.

Regarding the drums: I tried to have more of an 'old' sound so it wouldn't sound too slick (it is played on a 60's ludwig). I know that during mixing, I kinda felt sorry I hadn't experiment recording more room mics though.

Thx for the compliments on the horn arrangement. I arranged them, but I have to be honest: my teacher arrangment is considered as one of the best arrangers in the country and he corrected it for me :rolleyes:

Ludwig drums? Is it save to conclude that all other instruments are also real instruments beeing played? How many of the instruments/vocal have you done yourself or is this a project recording another band playing the arangements? Damn dude, it sounds great, it swings the heck out of me.. I agree on the commets made on the vox though....

That bass sound in the beginning.. Rrrrooooaar.. great man!

As I was listening I was just thinking how I would love to try mixing it.. :D

Musicianship is great! Cool horn sounds.. Main problem I think is mixing, keeping instruments separate with eq and panning. Vocals are buried. Also vocal is so "white" for this funk style, reminded me of Weird Al Yankovik, like a parody..

Thx for all the reactions!

Here are some specifications of the recording:

I had the opportunity to record in a pretty good studio for this one. (drums, bass and horns recorded in a studio, voice in another one, rhodes and guitars at home)

instruments:
Drums: vintage ludwig kid (1969), basic mic setup. What I remember: Sennheizer 421 and 441 on toms; AKG D112 on kick, forgot snare mic, Blue baby bottle on hihat, and I believe 2 small condensor AKG's on hihat.
Bass: Fender precision bass direct into TubeTech Recording channel
Rhodes: Direct into soundcard (was Roland Rhodes patch, so not a real one). It had a slight vintage plugin on it.
Guitars: direct out from a digital hughes and kettner amp. I forgot the type of guitar the guitarist played on.
horns: all 3 Sennheizer MD421, recorded together
voice: Neuman Tube Mic through Tubetech recoring channel.

The mix was made on a pro tools TDM system. There was an outboard exciter on the horns and the voice goes through an outboard TubeTech compressor. The verb comes from a lexicon, I think it is 480 L. All the rest (EQ, comp,....) are Pro Tools Plugins.

Schenker: Thx for your comments, but I disagree on the 'vocals are too buried' I personally found the vocal more than present enough, but then again, that is a matter of taste. But also Steal makes this comment so maybe I just know this song too well?

Steal Sessions: thx on the good comments! I wrote the lyrics and the music for this song, but I don't play any of the instruments on this track. I also did the horn arrangements, but my teacher arrangement at that time checked it and gave me very valuable advice. Btw, how did you hear it is a Ludwig kit??? Good listening from your behalve!

This song was one of the songs I recorded and mixed for my graduation project in my producers course...

I can hear the vocals fine, but...

I think it could benefit with some volume automation/envelops, mainly between the horns and vocals. They are fighting for the lead too often.
have you already considered or tried this? Level wise, it sounds great, it's only the sections with sustaining horn over vocal where there's some slight masking.

I feel its missing more of a change at the 1:42 breakdown. That's a prime opportunity to show off some dynamics, for add excitment. Mabey a drastic EQ change on then keys or something crazy like that. Just a thought.
What do you think?

Great stuff Brett. Kinda between Tower of Power and Jamiroquia-good tune and recording.
I dont' agree with the snare however. Listened in mono and could'nt download it so take this with a grain of salt-me thinks the snare should be tuned higher-or it could be a case of mixing.
At any rate good stuff.

T

I think the vocals are in a good spot, it may just be the singer's homegrown kinda technique which doesn't project his voice over a certain frequency... It's not bad though, just kinda has a certain brashness naturally to it that masks itself with the horns, but I can still make out the lyrics, so it's not a bad thing. Kinda hear a bit of Zappa in the unison run there, pretty cool. I lived in Memphis for awhile and the funk fusion thing is bangin down there, so I like where you were gettin at. The drums sound cool the way they are with that flat sound on the snare, totally old school- thank you... Overall great mix though that fully captures the mood and nice arrangement. The guitar if anything was a bit buried but it's just there for texture. I don't know how it'd be since it was just a one noted muted kinda feel, maybe crank the highs to get a tele sound, but it's fine the way it is as a song...

Nice job!!!

Nice song and nice mixing. The vocals don't really attract the attention. Maybe a lack of body? For funk I like a bit more round sound on the kick. Don't really know how it would sound with that kit. Maybe A bit more ambient sound of the kick?

Good work!

Back