Full Circle Comparison A B C

rayc

retroreprobate
Hi Folks,
Here's the promised A B C comparison opportunity.
1st is the original version 2nd the last tweaks from the Camel Comm & finally an slightly earlier Camel Comm but with more effects.
Each is only the chorus & solo so you don't have to listen long or hard.
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4326936&q=hi
Let me know which you prefer &/OR what aspects of each you prefer if any.
I'll only leave this up until Saturday Aust Eastern Standard Time as I know those of you inteseted will do the comparison sooner rather tha later.
Many thanks for your contributions to date - it's been elucidating - & in anticipation of your comments on this thread.

I prefer B. Well balanced sound, though you could probably boost the very low end of the bass guitar. The vocal's too low on A and gtr's kind of screechy, I don't like the boosted highs and sibilance on C.

You should match the levels between the sections.

Tim

I recall liking mix C when you first posted it because of the bright vocals. However, listening in comparison, I prefer the fuller vocal tone of mix B.
It's not just the vocals though, the whole mix is a bit smoother on B.
BTW - this is an excellent way to judge mixes...with short clips to compare.

Another vote for B.......

:) :D :) :D

A has too much high end...it's sort of thin. B sounds really good, and I'm sort of torn between aspects of B and C...in C the vocals are a bit more buried, so i like the vox in B, but the bottom end of C is best. Maybe get the mids and highs to sound like B, and leave the bottom like C.... :confused:

hmm, i think i like the vocals in 'B' the best but i think the music in 'C' sounds the best. i think B's vocals with C's music would be golden. the only nitpick i have is that theres a slight timing issue a little ways into the sax solo. otherwise it sounds good and very unique. good job. :)

C.

Has more vox. More cymbals and tamborines. The tambs give it a nice touch and help convey some of the beat since the drums are not up front.

B. (2nd vote).

B is also quite polished and has a well round sound. :)

im stuck between b and c, i think im going to go with B (i checked on 3 different montiors/headphones) and i think b sounded best ooverall on 3. A sounded a bit thin to me, b and c both sounded real good I thought. Not sure if that helps any, just my vote.

Take care

gary

I prefer "C". I think it sounds fuller and you have the best vocal sound, in my opinion. I still think you can rid of some low mids on the vocal track, but it's still the best of the 3 to me.

(The rythm slightly falling apart in the sax solo is still bothering me, I have to be honest)

Rami,
I've attempted to address that rhythm prob & will post it patched on Sat night. I don't kow whether it's better or not but you'll let me know.
Travis,
Thanks mate.
Gary,
Thanks for taking the time to try different monitoring systems.
bigbubba,
Thanks - some food for thought too.
Greg_L & Marc Miano,
That's the kind of detail I'm interested in.
Dogman,
Ta - dificult task but i'll give it a go.
ido1957,
Thanks - I figured there'd be less fatigue with little clips.
Timothy Lawler,
Ta - I thought about normalising but decided to go with what they actually sounded like even to vol from where I left them.
NYMorningstar,
You feel the C mix is more Rubenesque? Or would that be JLoesque these days? Thanks.

Polls are closed & ballots counted.
As presented
A = 0
B = 5
C = 3
Druthers
B vox + C music = 2
Thank you ball boys thank you linesmen.
I've tweaked the drum probably almost successfully & will post that result.

You have, yet again, my deep thanks for the time to contribute to this ongs realisation. there are 2 definite mix options now so I think I'll keep B & C as well as trying to do the BC combo when I have the time & my aural fatigue subsides.
Cheers & ta.

Back