Fresh ears needed V2.0

NL5

Unpossible!
Ok, thanks for the suggestions last time! I made a few adjustments, so let me know how this sounds......

Thanks!

:D

Sounds pretty good man....I think you filled in some holes, and smoothed it out quite a bit. Good drum sound. It has nice punch to it. I think the levels of the stuff, when it changes from loud to soft, are way better now. It flows into those sections well. Nice one man.... :D

NL5 said:
Thanks!

How is the snare now?
I think it sounds good. It seems to have a nice attack, and ring to it. Drums sound really good to me. Toms have a good sound, and ring out nicely. I think you fixed this one up nicely....

First time listening this.

Great song. Nice tune. Cool guitar playing.

About mixing:
Man, this sound just like the Big Label Polished sound to me. In other words, I don't see anything that stands out as something out of place.

Well rounded sound as far as I hear this. The guitar playing is pretty cool. :)

bigbubba said:
First time listening this.

Great song. Nice tune. Cool guitar playing.

About mixing:
Man, this sound just like the Big Label Polished sound to me. In other words, I don't see anything that stands out as something out of place.

Well rounded sound as far as I hear this. The guitar playing is pretty cool. :)

Thanks for the kind words! :D

Hey NL5,

First time lending my ears to the mixing forums, so let me jump on the band wagon. This will also be my first time listening.

I def agree with the fellas, I dig the tune. Nice arrangement. I think the guitar playing has nice play. The music does well to stay together as a whole.

Is it cool if a broke it down a little bit for constructive critism? I don't wanna be the asshole that tries to ruin the good vibes!

I think what I say is more unauthoriative personal taste than fact, so please feel free to disregard me and cuss me out:

The only problems I have are 3 things.

The snare. The sound is there, just that it's missing something. I dunno, maybe some more effect? Something to give it character. Like in my head I hear this big U2 "PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" snare sound everytime it hits. Especially with that particular kind of drum beat, where the kick falls with the snare on the 2 and 4.

Toms. maybe it's the shitty computer speakers I'm listening through, but I hear clipping on the floor tom.

The performance. I think I've just been working so long with people that either demand a perfect performance or are really good at tempo editing that I hear the performance just a little off at times.

I honestly think it's more of a plus than a minus, but that depends who you ask. It's a tough one to suggest, cause in my head, it could sound good all tight and edited, but it sounds just as good with a complete human character.

Overall. I'm glad the first song I decide to critique is a good one. :)

LeeRosario said:
Hey NL5,

First time lending my ears to the mixing forums, so let me jump on the band wagon. This will also be my first time listening.

I def agree with the fellas, I dig the tune. Nice arrangement. I think the guitar playing has nice play. The music does well to stay together as a whole.

Is it cool if a broke it down a little bit for constructive critism? I don't wanna be the asshole that tries to ruin the good vibes!

I think what I say is more unauthoriative personal taste than fact, so please feel free to disregard me and cuss me out:

The only problems I have are 3 things.

The snare. The sound is there, just that it's missing something. I dunno, maybe some more effect? Something to give it character. Like in my head I hear this big U2 "PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" snare sound everytime it hits. Especially with that particular kind of drum beat, where the kick falls with the snare on the 2 and 4.

Toms. maybe it's the shitty computer speakers I'm listening through, but I hear clipping on the floor tom.

The performance. I think I've just been working so long with people that either demand a perfect performance or are really good at tempo editing that I hear the performance just a little off at times.

I honestly think it's more of a plus than a minus, but that depends who you ask. It's a tough one to suggest, cause in my head, it could sound good all tight and edited, but it sounds just as good with a complete human character.

Overall. I'm glad the first song I decide to critique is a good one. :)

Thanks man! I love the cudos, but I really want to hear where I can improve the mix, so thanks for the critiques.

If you get a chance, do you have any suggestions on the snare?

The performanece - yep, this needs a bit of work in that deparmanet for sure - the band was going to tighten up some stuff, but they don't feel I can make them a decent recording, so what I got is what I got. I could edit the timimg issues, and may fix some of them, but as you said, it kinda gives it a bit of a raw vibe, which is a bit of a plus in this case IMHO as the performance is a bit stiff otherwise. These are very minute issues mind you :)

Thanks Lee!

Good tune!!

I never heard the original version, so I can't comment on that....

I liked the snare and well as the guitar and vocals..

The kick to me sounded a bit weak and clicky to me, but that could just be my taste (or what you were going for )

My preference is a bit more effect on the vocals, and for them to be just a tad more present in the mix.......but again, that's my personal preference. :)

Rick

Good job!!!

NL5 said:
Thanks man! I love the cudos, but I really want to hear where I can improve the mix, so thanks for the critiques.

If you get a chance, do you have any suggestions on the snare?

The performanece - yep, this needs a bit of work in that deparmanet for sure - the band was going to tighten up some stuff, but they don't feel I can make them a decent recording, so what I got is what I got. I could edit the timimg issues, and may fix some of them, but as you said, it kinda gives it a bit of a raw vibe, which is a bit of a plus in this case IMHO as the performance is a bit stiff otherwise. These are very minute issues mind you :)

Thanks Lee!

On snare, man you're so close it's not even funny. Perhaps just a little compression to spice it up and *maybe* creating a duplicate and sending that duplicate of the snare to a nice reverb (that's if you don't have a bot snare track). Then you just adjust the reverb just right, and it's there.

Cause other than that, the snare sounds natural. Not hollow, or distracting or too biting.

On the performance, it's just like one of those things that can take you guys down certain paths.

I was gonna ask if you had an actual band, and I think you mentioned you do. Which is cool cause then I can provide this advice accordingly.

I think if I had to take a preference of editing a performance, or trying to capture it as natural and as unedited as possible, I would go with natural.

Simply for the live show. There's alot of different theories on this subject, which are accurate in thier own right, I guess it depends on the situation.

I learned that the hard way. Sometimes editing a performance might just suck all the life and individuality out of the mix.

So I reasoned it like this, "with a graph, you only got so many points to edit your performance to, but as a freestyle thing, the possiblities are endless".

I dig!

WERNER 1 said:
The kick to me sounded a bit weak and clicky to me, but that could just be my taste (or what you were going for )

My preference is a bit more effect on the vocals, and for them to be just a tad more present in the mix......

Yep, the drummer wants it to have way more click, but I think it would be too much for this song......

And I think I am going to up the vocals just a tad - they are pretty heavily effected already, but they're on the subtle side (I believe there are about 10 insert/send effects total)

LeeRosario said:
On snare, man you're so close it's not even funny. Perhaps just a little compression to spice it up and *maybe* creating a duplicate and sending that duplicate of the snare to a nice reverb (that's if you don't have a bot snare track). Then you just adjust the reverb just right, and it's there.

You think it needs more verb then????

It has a fair amount of natural room verb, as well as a couple sends going to different verbs......

not that id know too much but there seems something so slightly off with the kick and snare... guitars and vocals i thought sounded great, wouldn't touch much if anything there.

also just wondering, what is your setup?

liking guitar sound and vox right off the bat. IMO, snare lacks crispness, is it a live snare? Love the guitar counterpoint in the pre chorus. Very catchy, sounds like a dual rectofier? Acoustic direct? Great mix. Home studio? If it is, your "in over your head" :D A+ very very good.

howdy. i'd bring down the snare a bit... it seems to be a little too up front for my personal taste, and it ends up taking away from the awesome fullness you've got on the vocal and guitar

Back