free-jazz duet. is it digital or memorex?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
WARNING! this might make some of you freaks sleepy or irritable. :D

This was recorded to ADAT and to 2-track cassette simultaneously. I really like the sound i got on the tape, those saturated cymbals. just lovely.

First night with my MXL 603's on the overheads. Sure Beta 52 on the kick, a 57 right on the grill in the center of my mesa DC-3. All tracked through a Mackie 1402 vlz. That's me on guitar with all the crazy layers and effects. That's Charlie on the kit. Doctored up a bit in vegas to get it up to leval and the panning more to my liking.

I'm intrested in hearing how you guys feel about the sound. I find myself coming back to this recording, it feels really good to me. It's defintly not the slickest or most perfect thing I've done, but it has a sound. A depth that i really like, but I am biased- I like to hear myself play :D.

-duh!
here;s the link
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2597&alid=-1

that ride cymbal was really annoying me at first, but the whole sound grew on me 4 minutes in.. pretty amazing to get that sound from a 2 track cassette.. how much of it was ADAT though?

this was a good listen.. that dudes a great drummer..

BTW, it didn't make me sleepy..

I just finished burnin' one..

thanks for taking a listen B.sabbath. In my space i have the ADAT connected through the inserts on the mackie, and i have a stereo out from the mixer going to my 424 4-track that's setup to record in stereo at normal speed. So it monitors through the ADAT and goes to tape in real time. That record button is pretty much always on, casette is cheap. :D I do have this on ADAT, so once i get my RME digi card I'll do a short sample of both and do an actuall test for you guys. It's funny I started this and was going to challenge you guys to tell if it was ADAT or casette- but then i realized i reveal the answer on the NWR page description.. lol Really just wanted to get it up so people could listen to the music. I'm very intrested in peoples take on this- a lot of what i do is free form improvistions like this- and it all gets recorded on something. All these moments in time. Is it good to listen to? Where does it fit relative to other music that's out there? I guess just sort of try to validate hitting record or even trying to push this further, and to communicate with other musicians that play in a similar vein. To see how i can progress not only as a musician but as an engineer that captures the moment.

wanna jam? :D

Cant listen right now because of the firewall at the Job but youve got my interest with your description.

Ill try it when I get home later
Bill

I enjoyed listening to this, especially from about 5:20 on. It was a little slow getting started, but then I got into it. You both had good ideas and interesting styles. I couldn't tell you who I'd compare it to.

One suggestion as far as free jam stuff. It would sound more interesting if the two of you came together more for little "events" (for lack of a better word). Examples might be 2 or 3 bar cresendos, or when you play some disonant sounds the drummer plays a little more chaotic. I always find pulling that stuff off is fun when you're jamming too. Just a thought.

Good stuff.

Wow, sizzling cymbals! Maybe a little too much cymbal, but I really like the sound.

You've definately captured a very live, active sound. The drums really make it wonderful. The guitar was good as well, but so upfront...I don't care for a guitar being that confrontational. It doesn't sound like it's in the same place as the drums. I feel like I'm at a jam listening to this...and my first instinct is to move closer to that drummer. There is a point around the 3:18 mark where things do even out a bit, and I like that a lot.

Very nice recording here James.

Slackmaster 2000

I really don't know what to say about this song, but I like to watch myself type, lol. It's very "ambient." Dude, this is so far afield from what I do, I'm not even going to embarrass myself by saying anything else other than "nothing stuck out as wrong to me," and I'm sincerely sorry that I don't have more to offer. I've never done anything like this, and I don't think I could if I tried, so that's my way of giving you a compliment...

in a totally incoherent and non-useful way, lmao.

I finally got to listen to this. I am not capable of fully comprehending this music style, it far too progressive for my simple tastes. Im also unsure as to what you are trying to capture, certainly contemporary, commercial or popular norms can not be applied. There were a few spots I though I was getting it But the picture it was painting in my mind was dissjointed. I may have damaged that portion in the 60's :0

Therefore VERY INTERESTING Ill watch this thread and see if I can learn something here and expand my musical realm.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

Peace
Bill

Back