Four new tunes....kinda'

Bartman

I count on me
I've posted 4 (kinda') new tunes to my soundclick page.

The first three are short instrumentals recorded solely for grins, the 4th tune temporarily entitled PJ is the drums, bass and guitar part for a full song in progress.

They are:

1. Split Personality- two short pieces I wrote, didn't know what to do with them so I slapped 'em together! Musical humor.

2. Pre Insanity- I was almost there....umm, am...err, was....Is? nevermind

3. What's Goin' On Intro (coutesy of Marvin Gaye)

4. PJ- I have the melody line, still writing the lyrics and I have some good ideas for fills, lead & percussion.

I played everything except the drums on PJ. My buddy Rayzor played drums on that one.

Comments are appreciated.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=274310

Bart

Some pretty cool stuff man....I can't wait to hear what you do with PJ...it sounds like it will be cool. Love Insanity..nice playing man.

Thanks Dogman.

I'm pretty excited about PJ too. Can't wait to finish the lyrics so I can start rehearsing, then laying down vox.

Bart

ok, here goes:

1. split personality - i like the horn piece. nicely arranged. then the bass comes in and it takes a full 10 seconds to realize what just happened! i liked it. mix wise i'd like to hear the snare more at the end and the whole thing a little brighter. different...i like.

2. AHHHHH....i'm left waiting the drums to kick and rock out! i will go insane now, you've caused me to have a panic attack. Good playing. good mix. good song.

3. nice tone, sir. love the intro - different take on teh song. I like it. One "personal preference" suggestion on your use of tremolo - it's a tad too fast for my taste on this song...the laid back, jazzy feel. a little more smooth maybe? that's just my opinion though. I'd also throw a tad more verb on it. very dreamy fell though on this tune!

4. wow...great intro, then the drums kick in and just awesome it up a tad! Good job on the drums - they sound nice. can't wait to hear lyrics with this!

again, just opinions. enjoyed the songs.

cholo

WOW!

Pre-Insanity - about an hour??!! Watching TV???!!! where am I going wrong. Sounds GREAT! what a cracking little album filler. Can I cover it ;)

PJ sounds great, really nice feel. I love the "chorus" bit on the ride, nice and chilled. I reckon I can see where your going with it, but undoubtably Ill be completely wrong. Looking forward to hearing the finished article.

Cheers

Dee :)

ok, here goes:

1. split personality - i like the horn piece. nicely arranged. then the bass comes in and it takes a full 10 seconds to realize what just happened! i liked it. mix wise i'd like to hear the snare more at the end and the whole thing a little brighter. different...i like.

First off, thanks for listening to all 4. Much appreciated. Yeah, I'm slightly schitzophrenic....and damned proud of it. The snare is a sample played through a keyboard....good feedback.

2. AHHHHH....i'm left waiting the drums to kick and rock out! i will go insane now, you've caused me to have a panic attack. Good playing. good mix. good song.

My drummer said the same thing! The exact quote was "Dude, you need to let me play over that one" lol

3. nice tone, sir. love the intro - different take on teh song. I like it. One "personal preference" suggestion on your use of tremolo - it's a tad too fast for my taste on this song...the laid back, jazzy feel. a little more smooth maybe? that's just my opinion though. I'd also throw a tad more verb on it. very dreamy fell though on this tune!

I was told the same exact thing about my use of vibrato covering (erm, trying to cover) Pat Metheny's tune "Jaco" over 25 years ago at my drummers college senior music recital. Was told my bends are too rock-ish for the genre.

4. wow...great intro, then the drums kick in and just awesome it up a tad! Good job on the drums - they sound nice. can't wait to hear lyrics with this!

I'm pretty happy with this one too. I'm finally learning to implement "less can be more" and put the song first. Now I need to make the time to finish the lyrics and lay down some vox.

Bart

Pre-Insanity - about an hour??!! Watching TV???!!! where am I going wrong. Sounds GREAT! what a cracking little album filler.

Yep, all improvised while watching a "Deal or No Deal" rerun. Problem is....I probably couldn't recreate the exact same thing. LOL

PJ sounds great, really nice feel. I love the "chorus" bit on the ride, nice and chilled. I reckon I can see where your going with it, but undoubtably Ill be completely wrong. Looking forward to hearing the finished article.

Shooting for a feel somewhere between Pearl Jam and Nirvana. My drummer is a very versatile player and has alot of feel to his style. You are right in the belief that you never know where a tune will end up....the fun is in the journey.

Thanks for listening.

Bart

Split personality - hilarious. I was like, man what the fuck is this, and then, YEEHAW! :D

Pre-insanity - Not really feeling that one. Sounded good though. Nothing sounded off or anything.

Whats going on intro - Very nice playing. Great tone.

PJ - Pretty good. Not really my style, but I can see it going somewhere. I think the drums can use less "room". A drier snare. Just my 2 cents.

PJ - Pretty good. Not really my style, but I can see it going somewhere. I think the drums can use less "room". A drier snare. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Greg. This is what I am looking for. I recorded the kit with two overheads (spaced), a kick mic and a snare mic. I wanted that Nirvana kinda' "open" sound.

When I get further down the road with this I will try pulling back some reverb on the snare and overheads (there's not much on the overheads) and see how it sounds.

I appreciate the listen and comments even though the genre is not your cup of tea.

Bart

Pre Insanity - cool improv piece that really shows your prowess on the guitar. Short, sweet, well done. :cool:

Thanks Greg. This is what I am looking for. I recorded the kit with two overheads (spaced), a kick mic and a snare mic. I wanted that Nirvana kinda' "open" sound.

When I get further down the road with this I will try pulling back some reverb on the snare and overheads (there's not much on the overheads) and see how it sounds.

I appreciate the listen and comments even though the genre is not your cup of tea.

Bart

I personally wouldn't put any reverb on the overheads. They should be picking up enough room ambience on their own. Here's something to try if you haven't already: bus the dry drum tracks to a stereo group track so you can hear the whole kit on one track. From there, pick a nice reverb and use it as a send on that group track.

I personally wouldn't put any reverb on the overheads. They should be picking up enough room ambience on their own. Here's something to try if you haven't already: bus the dry drum tracks to a stereo group track so you can hear the whole kit on one track. From there, pick a nice reverb and use it as a send on that group track.

Hmmmm.....That's not exactly how I do it, but I will try that.

I currently send the tracks individually to a reverb. Would it make much of a difference soundwise if I sent them to a group first?

I never put any reverb on the kick. Do you?

Hmmmm.....That's not exactly how I do it, but I will try that.

I currently send the tracks individually to a reverb. Would it make much of a difference soundwise if I sent them to a group first?

I never put any reverb on the kick. Do you?

Not the kick individually, but I reverb the kit as a whole sometimes using that group track method.

I don't know much of a difference it will make. You'll have to just try it and see. ;)

Back