formfisch - Last Dance (A Waltz) my submission for the MC048 Mix Challenge

I think this was very well done!
I love how it starts out with a sparse arrangement and builds up and the waltz progresses. It could have passed for a vintage record before the vocal started. I think the vocal blend and arrangement was good as well. Not a lot to nitpick and complain about mix wise. If I had any suggestions to offer I guess that it would be that towards the very end the mix was a tad too dense. A little too much going on and everything seemed up in the mix. Maybe pick and choose some things to be prominent and other things to be more scaled back and distant. I feel like that would complime t the song better.
But it's all subjective.
Great work vitaminx!

I think this was very well done!
Thanks, I appreciate that :)

If I had any suggestions to offer I guess that it would be that towards the very end the mix was a tad too dense. A little too much going on and everything seemed up in the mix. Maybe pick and choose some things to be prominent and other things to be more scaled back and distant. I feel like that would complime t the song better.
Yea I think you have a point there.
As this part is the culmination of the song I didn't worry too much about keeping track volumes low, but maybe I've overdone it a bit.

Overall great song! Really enjoyed it. I think the vocal mix could be a bit more blended in with the rest though. It's very dry (reverb-wise) while the rest of the instruments have a nice milky blend to it.

Overall great song! Really enjoyed it.
Thanks! Glad you like the mix :)

I think the vocal mix could be a bit more blended in with the rest though. It's very dry (reverb-wise) while the rest of the instruments have a nice milky blend to it.
During mixing I lowered the volume of the reverb more and more, as I thought it was too wet. Now, thinking about this again, I might add more reverb, but add a lowpass filter to it to keep it sutile.

Thanks for your input :)

I really like this track. I like how the vocals go together at around the 2 minute mark. For criticism, the only thing I'd say is, like ajsajs said the vocals would do well with a little reverb

Cool song.

The two vocals don't sound like they're in the same space. The male vocal is dominating the female vocal. I'd balance the two a little better. Female vox has some pitchy notes.

The acordian and guitar sound very good.

I would introduce the bass earlier in the song. I like the intro, but as soon as the song kicks in I'd bring in the bass. It would give the song a nice feel.

Thanks for your input TripleM :)

The two vocals don't sound like they're in the same space. The male vocal is dominating the female vocal. I'd balance the two a little better.
I did that on purpose, because I wanted the male voice to be dominant and supported by the female voice, like an angel-like shimmer - that's why the male voice is center and the fem. is on the sides. I guess this one is a matter of taste though.

Female vox has some pitchy notes.
You mean out of tune?
The author requested not to use pitch correction so unfortunately I can't do anything about it.

I would introduce the bass earlier in the song.
I didn't change the arrangement as I felt that decision belongs to the artist - but maybe it doesn't.
Could be an idea for an alternative mix maybe.

Good job ! I agree about the dry main vocal , but still very enjoyable. Good to hear something outside of my normal genre. The main thing I would do is edit out the "throat clear" around the 14 sec. point.. MS

I put on some decent headphones . It's fret noise for sure. I could hear the same slide when the acoustic gets going . It just grabbed my attention the first few times I heard it in the intro .. MS..

Back