Forgotten Flower

VSpaceBoy

..loading
Hey gang I could use some help. This is my first time recording and mixing everything "outside the box" and its a mess. Harsh city.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

Forgotten Flower
It an original song.

Thanks for listening

VSpaceBoy said:
Hey gang I could use some help. This is my first time recording and mixing everything "outside the box" and its a mess. Harsh city.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

Forgotten Flower
It an original song.

Thanks for listening

Hey Space,

I'm typing as I listen.

Very full sounding tune, the drums could do with some livening up in the mids to reduce some of the flat boxiness that is happening there, I struggled to hear the kick which was a little too buried, and the cymbals are probably a little to bright, they are very prominent in the mix!

The vocals could be boosted in volume a tad during the busier section of the song.
The arrangement and instrument playing is very well done! I like the bass being prominent in the intro and the vocal delivery is very tasty!

I had a couple of listens and I make these comments to be constructive criticism. I think with a little more breathing space for some of the instruments it would help see this become a sweet little number!

I would like to hear what you do with this and where you take it Space!

Nice work!

Kev :)

Gorty said:
Hey Space,

I'm typing as I listen.

Very full sounding tune, the drums could do with some livening up in the mids to reduce some of the flat boxiness that is happening there, I struggled to hear the kick which was a little too buried, and the cymbals are probably a little to bright, they are very prominent in the mix!

The vocals could be boosted in volume a tad during the busier section of the song.
The arrangement and instrument playing is very well done! I like the bass being prominent in the intro and the vocal delivery is very tasty!

I had a couple of listens and I make these comments to be constructive criticism. I think with a little more breathing space for some of the instruments it would help see this become a sweet little number!

I would like to hear what you do with this and where you take it Space!

Nice work!

Kev :)

Thanks for the great input and comments.

Yea the drums are killing me too. I only have stereo in's on my PC so I have to mix it prior to recording . :eek: Everything now has to be done via EQ :confused: I'll do what you suggest. I'll also try and add some air to the tracks..

Thanks again Gort!!

Great tune. I like

the song. Parts of it seem a bit bright for my taste. Perhaps a bit of eq bump in the mids would help or maybe eq the cymbals down a bit. I need to hear more vox. Either drop the guitar level a touch or eq it away from the vox because they are competing in the same frequency. Is your guitar track doubled? If so you could consider breaking the rules and try hard panning them opposite each other leaving a bit more room for the vox down the center. See what it sounds like though. Nice lyric and great sounding vocals. You just need a way to emphasize them a bit. Just my $.02. Ditto what Gorty says on the bass.

I like the song...

Gorty is way better than I to listen.

The vocals definately are too buried.

I like the tones on the guitars.

"Out of the box"...means it isn't your band??? :confused:

Love ya Space Ace!! :)

Really good guitar sound and lines. But yeah, it's competing for EQ space with the vocal. Don't care too much for the snare sound on the backbeats... it kind of sticks out IMO.

Tim

true-eurt said:
I like the song...

Gorty is way better than I to listen.

The vocals definately are too buried.

I like the tones on the guitars.

"Out of the box"...means it isn't your band??? :confused:

Love ya Space Ace!! :)

Lova ya back!!

Thanks for the listen and your comments.. "out of the box" meaning that most of my songs I compose a majority of my stuff (drums, direct guitar, bass, and keys) in the computer. (box)

This is all recorded from mics and nothing direct in. Its my drummer, me on guitars and bass, and my GF on vox. Yes I'll work on bringing her up in the mix.
Thank you!

Timothy Lawler said:
Really good guitar sound and lines. But yeah, it's competing for EQ space with the vocal. Don't care too much for the snare sound on the backbeats... it kind of sticks out IMO.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I'll work on the EQing for everything, I suck at it. I agree with you on snare. This was our second attempt to capture his drums and I still can't get them to sound very good. He hits them so hard. I tried compressing the drums more but then it just takes the life out of them. I'll keep at it.

Thanks again everyone for the help, I need all I can get!!

Thanks for the explaination Space...I am still *term retarded*...but coming along.

Good luck....and it is cool that you get to share with the gurlfriend.... :D

Just got home for a listen. I agree the drums need some work. Can you post them by themselves? That might help to get some input directly related to them. Everything else just seems to be fighting a bit for space, and hopefully can be sorted out a bit easier, once you get the drums a bit more lively.

Nice tune man.....

Drum Track

Please tell me what I can do to fix this. Or any other tips really to make it sound better.

This is an MP3 to save for size so if at all possible, just tell me what to do so I can do it to the original instead of using the MP3 back in the original song. Thanks.

VSpaceBoy said:
Drum Track

Please tell me what I can do to fix this. Or any other tips really to make it sound better.

This is an MP3 to save for size so if at all possible, just tell me what to do so I can do it to the original instead of using the MP3 back in the original song. Thanks.
Ok, I played with them for a minute, and did this...Space Drums

It may be a bit over the top for your tune....but it's just some compression and eq in Sonar.

I hit it with a multiband comp to reduce the snare a in the 300-1000 hz range while trying to leave the cymbals alone.

Tim

Man that sounds good. You guys are pros..

I'll try to translate that into my track. Although, I don't think I have a multiband compressor. :confused:

VSpaceBoy said:
Man that sounds good. You guys are pros..

I'll try to translate that into my track. Although, I don't think I have a multiband compressor. :confused:
Do you use software? What do you use?

listening at work - so limited critique value.
yeah, something not quite right with the drums, the snare is
really sticking out at me, sounds very dull/dead.
also seems like a little too much low end in the rhythm lead
more noticeable to me at the end.
good tune though, distinctive lyrics.
C.

Back