"Following Light", original hard rock waltz

GONZO-X

"Following Light", original hard rock waltz

BB05-following light by BatsBrew on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Following Light, is a hard rock waltz.
story:
it's nice when you are lost in a world of hurt, someone comes along and offers a helping hand.

Guitars used: Carvin DC200K, USACG strat, Williams Strat Hybrid
amp: mesa boogie mark IIB, combination of close miced and palmer pdi-09
cab: avatar vintage 1x12, celestion heritage g12H-55
guitar effects: Barber Direct Drive SS, Tone Press, ISP Decimator, yamaha DG stomp (short tape delay in FX loop)
bass: Carvin LB70 into sansamp bass DI, split thru to mesa guitar amp setup for midrange bass tone and blended with SABDI
vox: ADK Hamburg, into A Designs Audio MP-1, DBX MC-6 compressor
acoustic: Taylor 414, Seagull Artist Mosiac, each miced with single AT4033
Drums: created in ACID

As usual with your stuff I can not fault it. Really like this, reminds me of Yes in parts. Love the growley bass.

alright toad!!

thanks for breaking the ice, on this submission....

lot's of folks are listening, but no one is commenting...

i just thought the idea of a 'waltz' was a bit different!!
everything seems the same to me, sometimes, so i was looking for a way out!!
LOL

the bass..... two tracks, one sansamp bass DI, and the other is the bass running thru my guitar rig.
it's a pretty aggressive sound by itself, but i blend it down, and bring up the low end with the sansamp signal, and it all plays nice together.

thanks for listening!

This has everything I like. Acoustic guitars, electric guitars - in harmony no less, very sweet high hat action, great drums bass vocals and a 3 over a 4.

The feel is great, very nice kind of sailing ship swing to it.

The acoustic guitar sounds a bit too process at about the 153 mark; something there sounds a little different to me. I read you used two acoustics and maybe I just need to acclimate my ears to that sound. I always record acoustics in stereo so maybe that is what mt brain is saying no no to.

No matter, it's a great production.

hey manslick!

thanks for reviewing, and commenting.

cuz i aint gettin' much action on this one....

so, glad you dig it.

the acoustics, at 1:53?

hm, that's a strange comment.... there is no real 'processing' on them at that point, just a bit of compression (about 2 to 1) over the acoustic guitar sub buss, and that's just the way they sound straight into the mic.
i think i've got a touch of room reverb on them..

hm.

now you've got me curious...
i'm going to have to call up that mix, and look and see what i did, i'll get back to you on that one......

it's just a simple acoustic track on the left, and one on the right.
both performed seperately, but playing the same thing.
maybe would have worked better, if i had used a different guitar on the second part.....

hm, that's a strange comment.... there is no real 'processing' on them at that point, just a bit of compression (about 2 to 1) over the acoustic guitar sub buss, and that's just the way they sound straight into the mic.
i think i've got a touch of room reverb on them..

it's just a simple acoustic track on the left, and one on the right.
both performed seperately, but playing the same thing.
maybe would have worked better, if i had used a different guitar on the second part.....

I double track acoustics - same part and pan in a lot of tunes. I don't get the great result you do though. It usually results in a nice natural chorus. On my stuff some people think it's an effect and ask me about it. That is probably what is going on. I don't notice anything unnaturat about it. My 2 cents.

chuckduffy

i think you're right, about people hearing the chiming effect of similar notes, strings, timing, ringing together.

i suppose it makes sense, to use different guitars as often as possible, and blend them, to avoid some of this.

thanks for the comments

chuckduffy

i think you're right, about people hearing the chiming effect of similar notes, strings, timing, ringing together.

i suppose it makes sense, to use different guitars as often as possible, and blend them, to avoid some of this.

thanks for the comments

Don't get me wrong - I don't hear it as a negative in any way. Lot's of people use chorus, and I think this sounds 1000% more natural. I was just pointing out how people can perceive something as 'processed' that is 100% 'real' :-)

yes, i've heard/seen this reaction before, folks have even asked "is that a 12-string?"

heheh

sometimes i intentionally try to play a little off time with myself, to help differentiate the two parts...

but usually by the time i actually record something, i've got the timing down so tight in my head, i literally can cancel myself out doubling parts by playing dead on the money...
and i have to hard pan those tracks to opposite sides of the stereo field to keep them clear.
i DO use different guitars mostly, electrics and acoustics, but i didn't on this one...
they're both my Taylor 414.

Back