Folky Rock Tune

xfinsterx

I just finished this little folk rock tune, and wanted some fresh ears for a few comments on my mix.

Thanks in advance for the listen.

-Finster

Wow - that was awesome. I feel like a little kid when the grownups walk into the room. :eek:

As always, you get a great big sound and everything has lots of room to breathe. Hats off to you, this is a fantastic product.

-Casey

Aah.. back at the forums.

Hmh overall nice here.

- I don't like that acoustic at all. It sounds way too "honky" for me, not even close to being natural. Or then the guitar used just plain sucks big time :p.

- The "s"es and "t"s of the singer (eg. at 0:40-0:55, whre are his front teeth? :D ), or does the singer sound like that? (eg. some "speaking problems"; dunno the word heh). Anyway I think the sibilances are somewhat very unnatural. I dunno where the problem is (vocalist's sound, EQ or DeEss?). I would guess it is the "air" EQ and DeEss. Check those please. At the moment I feel the vox being too disturbing and distracting.

I like the drums and electrics (as usual, you really nail those overdrives ;) ).

sounds good to me! the vocals sound great. they are full and brilliant, and the singer has a nice voice. i like the way the song comes to a climax toward the end, the dynamics sound awesome. i'm just a newb so no advice to offer, just giving compliments on a great sounding mix.

:)

Kainz said:
Aah.. back at the forums.

Hmh overall nice here.

- I don't like that acoustic at all. It sounds way too "honky" for me, not even close to being natural. Or then the guitar used just plain sucks big time :p.

- The "s"es and "t"s of the singer (eg. at 0:40-0:55, whre are his front teeth? :D ), or does the singer sound like that? (eg. some "speaking problems"; dunno the word heh). Anyway I think the sibilances are somewhat very unnatural. I dunno where the problem is (vocalist's sound, EQ or DeEss?). I would guess it is the "air" EQ and DeEss. Check those please. At the moment I feel the vox being too disturbing and distracting.

I like the drums and electrics (as usual, you really nail those overdrives ;) ).

Yep, thats lip smacking right at the top of the vocals intro, i noticed it hours berfore my bounce down abd just plain forgot to write it into my edit list :rolleyes: , ill get it tommorow...good ear.

Acoustic guitar..Ya know...i just used a digital eq on it.
I took my eyes off the screen and just moved the band around till iliked what i heard Kainz. So i suppose thats just a preferance thing.
Thanks for the listen bro.

-Finster

I actually liked the acoustic, but perhaps it need a little more sparkle? It seems just a wee bit too anonymous to me.
GREAT toms! Drums sound really good over all.
Didn't like the song at all, though ;)

ragata said:
Didn't like the song at all, though ;)

Ha! Me neither dude, trust me.

At first there were drums all the way through it. I hated that so i used the mute button judiciously.

I added the Keys and Distorted guitars.

Otherwise it would have been really bland.

But again...me neither,lol.

-Finster

I like the vocal sound and expression, and the distorted gtr. I think the song has a lot of potential. Personally, ignoring the singer's pitch issues, it's actually quite moving. I can't make out the lyrics for some of it... is this a religious song? Never mind... listening more... it must be.

I'm not hearing any real mixing issues, just arrangement and performance issues so I'll go ahead and blather on about those...

The drums sound good to me, but only when the elec gtr's over them.

I don't like the ac gtr at all. But the main thing about the song that gets to me negatively is the fact that the vocal is flat on the frequently repeated high F# almost every time. Really flat. Sometimes other high notes, but that's the worst and most frequent one. That said, I think the vocal is really well done and expressive when it's not trying to reach so high. When the mix is dense with the elec gtr/drums I don't notice the vocal pitch issue so much.

It's just my own taste, but I think synth strings usually detract from songs that have heartfelt lyrics like this one. Less so when the mix is dense already.

About the guitar.... since you played the elec gtr part, any chance you could replace the existing ac gtr part also? Might save the song, to my ear anyway.

I've listened several times as I'm writing and I like the song more each time. Maybe those high notes are worth autotuning. And I'm not really much of a religious person.

Tim

Last edited:
Timothy Lawler said:
I like the vocal sound and expression, and the distorted gtr. I think the song has a lot of potential. Personally, ignoring the singer's pitch issues, it's actually quite moving. I can't make out the lyrics for some of it... is this a religious song? Never mind... listening more... it must be.

I'm not hearing any real mixing issues, just arrangement and performance issues so I'll go ahead and blather on about those...

The drums sound good to me, but only when the elec gtr's over them.

I don't like the ac gtr at all. But the main thing about the song that gets to me negatively is the fact that the vocal is flat on the frequently repeated high F# almost every time. Really flat. Sometimes other high notes, but that's the worst and most frequent one. That said, I think the vocal is really well done and expressive when it's not trying to reach so high. When the mix is dense with the elec gtr/drums I don't notice the vocal pitch issue so much.

It's just my own taste, but I think synth strings usually detract from songs that have heartfelt lyrics like this one. Less so when the mix is dense already.

About the guitar.... since you played the elec gtr part, any chance you could replace the existing ac gtr part also? Might save the song, to my ear anyway.

I've listened several times as I'm writing and I like the song more each time. Maybe those high notes are worth autotuning. And I'm not really much of a religious person.

Tim

Ha! I knew nobody would like that acoustic! :D
I love it! Oh well personal tast i guess.
I just get tired of the standard scooped bright sound that most people shoot for.

As for the vocal youre right, and yes trust me i heard it too.
However...I IMO didnt feel the performance was out of tune to the point that i really needed it. I dont like Auto tune, ill avoid it if possible.

As for the strings.
I know im gonna come off sounding defensive here, and i swear thats not how im feeling Tim, but....

ARE you KIDDING?!
I LOVE that string stuff man, love it.

Thanks for the review my man, i always appriciate it. :)

-Finster

I kinda like the guitar sound myself but the playing style makes it sound cheap and muffled. I get the feeling I'm in a small room when the song starts and that's a little distracting. Maybe using the same verb that you used on the voice would make it sound more natural? or

I was thinking if you started this song out with "Sacrifice is easy" that is 52 secs in, then ended the song with the "Where have we come" verse followed by the introduction guitar soled and faded out..., the arrangement would be more appropriate to the song. That's just my preferance. To me it seems to fit better that way.

Anyhow, LISP is the word everyone is searching for or to polite to say. The singer has one and retracking is the only way to fix it. Try micing him above his head so he's sorta looking up some and make him aware of what he's doing with his tongue. He's gotta pronuciate the words better or it's just too distracting.

NYMorningstar said:
I kinda like the guitar sound myself but the playing style makes it sound cheap and muffled. I get the feeling I'm in a small room when the song starts and that's a little distracting. Maybe using the same verb that you used on the voice would make it sound more natural? or

I was thinking if you started this song out with "Sacrifice is easy" that is 52 secs in, then ended the song with the "Where have we come" verse followed by the introduction guitar soled and faded out..., the arrangement would be more appropriate to the song. That's just my preferance. To me it seems to fit better that way.

Anyhow, LISP is the word everyone is searching for or to polite to say. The singer has one and retracking is the only way to fix it. Try micing him above his head so he's sorta looking up some and make him aware of what he's doing with his tongue. He's gotta pronuciate the words better or it's just too distracting.

Man ill tell ya. Recording this kid's guitar was tough stuff.

He played so softly that his breathing was nearly as loud as the guitar playing itself. I did however ride him to play hard enough at least to differentiate the S/N (signal to noise) ratio in the recordings favor.

Bummer part is i had to track him in the carpeted area of the studio.
Im serious he still played so softly that any live area i put him in just added too many outside artifacts to the sound. Well that and needing to up the pre so much, just to attain an acceptable tracking level. I tried really intimate micing, tighter cardoids, and a dead room and finally got something useable. Kind of a nightmare, but i dealt with it.

You couldnt be more right about the vocal lisp. And yeah i miced him with the mic up and he sang up at it. But it didnt change anything unfortunatly.

-Finster

Back