Fleetwood Mac - Dreams - Cover - please BASH!!

rutravis

My latest mix from my basement. My take on Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. All of the recordings, except the drum kit and female vocals, are performed by me.

Trying out a new technique on the lead vocals using the Waves Abbey Road Reel ADT plug-in with some automation. What do you think? Too much??

Travis...

Attachments

• Dreams_2.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 40
My latest mix from my basement. My take on Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. All of the recordings, except the drum kit and female vocals, are performed by me.

Trying out a new technique on the lead vocals using the Waves Abbey Road Reel ADT plug-in with some automation. What do you think? Too much??

Travis...
You nailed the vibe of this song on the bass and drums and the fills. Great work. I can't get me head around a male vocal on this though. You did a decent job. It sounds like the key may be a slight bit below your vocal range in places though.

I'm new to the audio engineering side of things myself, and I only post this because nobody else besides jimi is giving any feedback.

The stereo field and the mix sound great. The only thing I would criticize is that I think the male vocals are too dry and stick out from the rest of the mix a little too much. The drums have some room sound to them and the bass, guitar, and synths fit in really well with it (maybe it's the use of reverb? along with the fact that they're quieter and so seem to be in the background), but the vocals don't have so much of that room sound and stick out as if you are standing apart from the rest of the band and almost whispering in the audience's ear.

Overall though I thought it was a faithful cover and well done.

I like the style and feel - what don't I like? The exposed guitar in the middle is a bit feeble? What I don't get is why you sang a girl key song in your lower voice. I would have tried singing it up an octave, or better still, using the girl singer throughout as it's a girlie song, and she has a really good voice. At the end when you sing high on the wo-oh-oh bit your higher voice is much better. I think it just doesn't suit your quiet, laid back voice.

I don't mind the male vocal for the lead, but there is a weird effect going on with the dynamics, where it seems there is some sort of compression or ducking happening at weird points. I also agree that it is a little too forward and too dry for my taste. I would put some reverb on there and pull the level back a couple dB maybe. The instrumentation is all done well and I like it. Well done!

Back