Flax (Rap-Core)

Fishmed

Here is another band I've recorded. They have kind of a Rap-Core style.

Band: Flax
Song: Zelot

Great mix...super mix....I'm a sucker for good separation...has the bottom "dust" lacked...I didn't really care for the tune tho and couldn't understand the lyrics...which for me is not unusual...lol...gibs

I finally got through...
First of all, that singer sucks to the point that it must have been hard to even mix this... I would have mixed the vocals WAY down, but they probably wanted em loud. If they insisted on having the vox up front, I would have layered on the FX... Compress the hell out of it, EQ the low end out, and maybe some light flange...
I thought the guitars needed some high end.
I would have brought the drums up front since that seems to be the tightest thing happening with the song. The Bass seemed too loud, but they probably wanted it that way, too. Theres a low-mid that is either in the Bass or the guitar that seems to make everything muddy.
I thought the drum sound was great overall... I would have liked to hear more snare,though.

I wanted to like it, but the vocals really made it hard to listen to. That singer has all of the paassion of Jerry Seinfeld, vocally...

Nice mix. I like the dynamics and the monstrous Aerosmith guitar licks. But I can't understand most of the words they're saying.
Was that their plan?
Afraid to scare off those commie atheists?
If their lyrics mean something to them, they shouldn't let anybody embarass them into mumbling.
Could you post the lyrics? Rap of any kind is way different from scat, isn't it?

This is acually an older mix, one the band orginally wanted. I just wanted to get some opinions on it though. I did a better mix, but I am unable to make an MP3 of it right now. My other mix have the volcals out even more with a little more effect. I was never crazy about the way the singer did his part, but hey, its not my music. I also was able to give the drums more definition, and because of all the level changes, the bass level went down. Their bass player loved having a loud bass... I thought it killed the mix.

Thank you all for your reviews.

It's a well done recording man, despite some of the objections that are well documented elsewhere. I agree that the tune is a little muddy, I place the blame on the guitar...it's a little too bottom heavy (I'm sure it was their preference). As everyone else said, the bass guitar is a little loud, but even turned down I think the tune would still be muddy. I really like the tone of the drums, a lot. All in all, I think you accurately captured their performance...good job!

The drums and huitar are good, I think. I like the bass too, but obviously a little loud. The singer..he isnt that bad....if you get used to him...
-Nilbog

Back