fixed link. grind/hardcore/screamo band recorded live

BlackHawk2029

http://media.putfile.com/Song1scratch here's the link. this was done with two mics on the kick drums, a mic on snare, and one overhead. one guitar amp close miced, one run direct in (though you cant hear it because it wasnt loud enough) and vocals straight in. no bass as we cant find a bass player who isnt an asshole. any opinions? the song isnt really tight yet as we just wrote it 2 days ago and never really got to practice it much, but i thought i'd get some opinions. any criticism is welcome.

Being at 64 kbps isn't really doing justice to the sound, but it seems like that bass drum could come way up. The guitars are also a little weak, despite the fact that there's no bass. But, it sounds like you've got some real talent going there.

hey rocketman768.... it was a real rough recording...... i coulda been alot happier with the bass drums. my guitar cant be heard alot of the time for one. i really think i like the sound of the toms in this. the kit is an argent.... cheap. with remo ebonys on batter sides of toms, and none on resonant side. the kicks both have evans EMAD batter heads and aquarian regulators on the fronts. it was pretty much the argent 4 peice with an extra bass drum.... which was i believe CB or TJ percussion. the guitars were a gibson SG (so cliche i know) thru a fender 2x12 combo amp (not sure of the model) and a peavey raptor plus thru a crate power block and a 2x12 cab running a digitech pedal for distortion. all the mics were pretty much horrible. a pair of behri ECM 8000's on the kicks, a nady star power 9 on snare and one on vocals, an EV cobalt co4 as an overhead, and an old cheap audix mic on the fender amp. my amp was run direct in. all run thru a 24-channel EV mixer and then to the PC.

well you've managed to mix all the elements of generic profitable metalcore into one song. i'm sure your myspace will have 10,000 scene sluts and you'll do a split with evergreen terrace and eulogy records will sign you and screw you over all within your first year as a band. i'll assume you're pretty young and just got into the music a year or two ago and won't hold it against you. mix wise, well, i don't think you were expecting much were you? if it was me i would have put the 2 behringers in the room and micced the kick with the nadys (i've heard them before on kick and they honestly aren't bad), and then the rest of your inventory on snare/guitars/vocals.

i really wasnt expecting much. i have an MXL 990 condensor but i didnt feel the need to use it. im 16.... the oldest member of the band is 17 our vocallist is 15. i might take your advice into consideration. the way we were planning to do things is to use that track to record the seperate parts over and then delete it. as for drums we were going to use nady's on kick, the ECM 900's as overheads, and a co4 on snare. a co4 is probably going to be used on guitars, in combination with the MXL 990 a little farther away. the 990 is also going to be used for vocals in the final track..... if we ever get it done (we're all lazy as hell) ill post it. and for everyone's information i am a total recording newb so any help is appreciated

Back