Five new tracks from a black/death/blood metal band that came in

jndietz

The Way It Moves
Hey guys... I have a few.... "interesting" tracks for you guys to check out. A band came in to the studio the past couple weeks and put this stuff down. Its pretty good, really catchy riffs and whatnot. One song as a terribly random guitar solo in it. The lyrical content is questionable, but they paid and I recorded... I actually enjoyed my time with them. Very strange group of guys.

Also I might add that the drums weren't recorded here. Apparently they had another basement studio guy lay down the drums.

I'm looking for a critique of the mixes. They haven't been mastered yet (obviously).

Thanks... enjoy... please critique as many as you would like.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=46893483cb8e11d34012e8015643d9c8b5898bbdacfcc295

who lied to you and told you you mix it that low? I heard my messenger ding over the whole mix ok before mastering hit your levels at -3 db and you should have plenty of headroom for proper mastering :rolleyes:

this is hard to hear anything even after bringing the level up go re bounce this with the master fader at -3db then bring the mixes back this is insnaely low levels

this is what you sent me after bouncing to wav

bs1.gif
[/IMG]

-15db peak yea I'll listen to the track :rolleyes:

this is what it should look like before Mastering

bs2.gif
[/IMG]

who lied to you and told you you mix it that low? I heard my messenger ding over the whole mix ok before mastering hit your levels at -3 db and you should have plenty of headroom for proper mastering :rolleyes:

this is hard to hear anything even after bringing the level up go re bounce this with the master fader at -3db then bring the mixes back this is insnaely low levels

I would say you may be right.

But there's no need to be an ass about it...

if I'm being such an ass why did I take the time to listen render copy and paste image files and send you statistics and feedback back? being an ass would of been this sucks its to low I can't hear it and leaving you to figure out why

if I'm being such an ass why did I take the time to listen render copy and paste image files and send you statistics and feedback back?being an ass would of been this sucks its to low I can't hear it and leaving you to figure out why

Me? It's not my music. I didn't mix it. I'm not the OP incase you didn't notice. You aren't doing me any favours.

Taking the time to listen to someone's music doesn't automatically entitle you to talk to them like a jackass.

Yeah, it could do with turning up a bit. Like I said, you're right. Fair enough, you have provided some helpful information, but there's no need to be a smartass about it. If I've misread your tone then I apologise, but eye rolling and saying "who lied to you and told you to mix it that low" comes across as just plain uncurteous and undiplomatic.

Me? It's not my music. I didn't mix it. I'm not the OP incase you didn't notice. You aren't doing me any favours.

lol opps indeed your not my bad

I ment what I said, but with a light hearted tone not anrgy or anything tone is hard to read on a forum kind of like well who ever told you to that lied to you :)

I'm looking for a critique of the mixes. They haven't been mastered yet (obviously).

It seems there's a guy who don't like critics. Well,

Me? It's not my music. I didn't mix it.

So, you mixed it or not?

As a big metal fan I would like to give my two cents:
1. Vocals
I prefer an honest guttural voice than a processed vocal track. Get rid of that horrible effect.

2. Guitars
Tone is not the best, sounds weak in some parts. Once again, I'm guessing the guy who recorded this used a cheap digital processor. There's nothing like a cranked tube amp!

3. Drums
Kick is too present in the mix. Snare needs more snap, maybe boost some high frequencies a little. Cymbals sounds miles way one from the other, it gives me the impression the drummer is playing in a big wide room which is not good because you want the drums to kick your ass.

4. Headroom
Still have plenty of space to bring up the faders. It's really low and I had to put my volume know to 9 to hear your stuff..

lol opps indeed your not my bad

I ment what I said, but with a light hearted tone not anrgy or anything tone is hard to read on a forum kind of like well who ever told you to that lied to you :)

Then I apologise. Sometimes it's hard to tell. A lot of asshats around y'know?

I too will contribute my two cents to most of the aforementioned topics:

re: the mixes. They sound pretty good, but they are WAY too quiet! I've got all my volume knobs maxed, and I can barely hear it.

re: Legionserial and Doulos arguing. I think Doulos' feedback was helpful. Posting images was going the extra mile. Sure, he included some snarky comments, but it looks like he was making a genuine effort to be helpful.
Also, "you are" = "you're". You might want to fix your signature, Doulos. :D

re: KillThePixelNow's metal. Yup. It's pretty cool.

Edit: Oh yeah. Mediafire is obnoxious. I am not a fan of having to open 3 different windows to get to a single song.

Last edited:
jndietz, rebounce your files again as doulos said: at -3 db. Don't think about "mastering" before having a solid mix. I'll be waiting.

PS: Thanks for the compliments.

It seems there's a guy who don't like critics. Well,

So, you mixed it or not?

As a big metal fan I would like to give my two cents:
1. Vocals
I prefer an honest guttural voice than a processed vocal track. Get rid of that horrible effect.

2. Guitars
Tone is not the best, sounds weak in some parts. Once again, I'm guessing the guy who recorded this used a cheap digital processor. There's nothing like a cranked tube amp!

3. Drums
Kick is too present in the mix. Snare needs more snap, maybe boost some high frequencies a little. Cymbals sounds miles way one from the other, it gives me the impression the drummer is playing in a big wide room which is not good because you want the drums to kick your ass.

4. Headroom
Still have plenty of space to bring up the faders. It's really low and I had to put my volume know to 9 to hear your stuff..

Well, I thought I mixed it :D The vocalist actually uses this Digitech RP something to process his vox. Weird, sure, but that is how they wanted it done, lol. As for the guitars, they didn't use a digital processor... I think one of the amps was a 2x12 B-52 Stealth (like mine but looked different) and the other was a 1x12 combo. They were both tube amps though... Yikes I must have really done something wrong. I did put a hi-pass on the guitars to get out that unnecessary sub-bass and other freqs that the kick/bass occupy. I might have gone a little overboard with that and sucked out how the guitar should really sound. Don't put EQ on it if it doesn't need it right? I might have violated that... That might be why its sounding digital.

The drums have been hard for me. But I'll work with those and see what I can do. And I'll flix the headroom :) ....

Thanks for your input guys, I'll go in and spend some time on them today and re-post.

edit:
Oh... and I'll upload to Lightning MP3 this time :D

Last edited:
I forgot to mention in all the chaos that I actually thought it sounded pretty good despite the volume.

Cool... thanks legion :) You have any tips to "fix" my guitar tone maybe? I'm a huge guitar nerd and have to get them to sound the best. Should I have them come in and retrack (on my time and dime)?

According to a lot of people, the B-52 Stealth shouldn't sound a lot different than a Mesa -- I just don't know what their other amp was.

I just want the guitar to sound as amazing as possible.

Cool... thanks legion :) You have any tips to "fix" my guitar tone maybe? I'm a huge guitar nerd and have to get them to sound the best. Should I have them come in and retrack (on my time and dime)?

According to a lot of people, the B-52 Stealth shouldn't sound a lot different than a Mesa -- I just don't know what their other amp was.

I just want the guitar to sound as amazing as possible.

I'm having a second listen but louder now as it was like 6am over here when I listened to it.

I couldn't possibly offer any advice to improve it because quite fankly my personal opinion is that the guitars are great.

The one thing I sometimes struggle with when I'm doing guitars is maybe they can be a little brittle or abraisive. There is not a hint of that in your mixes, the guitars sound really smooth to me. Especially when they're harmonized. My hat goes off to you for that.

On the second listen, I do agree with killthepixelnow a little about the presence of the kick. But it's not something that's constant. It just pops out everyow and again. I notice it primarily in the choruses. Part of me thinks it might be something in the low end, or it may be fighting the bass guitar. I can't entirely put my finger on it.

It's far from a tune killer though.

Is this stuff going to be available to get hold of when it's done. I really, really like this band. It's been while since I got excited about some new music.

Last edited:
Hey!

First off, I'd say you did a pretty damn good job with this. However, there are a couple of pretty big issues. One, even though the level is way down, the mix is pretty well compressed. It sounds like you did a pretty good job of it, but if you were to send it to mastering like this, there's not much that could be done with it. Let it have a little more punch!

Next, there are some bad low end issues going on, and the hats are WAY too loud.

Overall though, this is a pretty massive step up from the last stuff of yours I heard.

If anyone wants to hear it louder - I bumped the volume up and rolled off the really low lows.-

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=17071

Back