First upload

Doug H

I'll be there
Hi all,
I have just registered.

Thanx to this forum I've found a free music host where the users don't have to login to an account to download

I also read the mic forum and have a good mic suggestion with a Shure SM57 (for micing my Marshall).

Anyhow, I thought I'd post my upload at nowhere.com and hear what people have to say about it.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1830&alid=-1

Thanks
Doug

Hello.. welcome. Here is your initiatory responce.

Clean up the guitar sound...

Lay a "bed" track.. maybe a cleaner git playing in the background, not doing so many licks but just carrying the tune...

Re-think your panning.. the bass should not be all the way right while the git is all the way left.

Consider having the drums play a stright beat every once in a while.

This song was too much like one big long guitar/drum solo. Of course.. if that was your intent, then you pulled it off successfully. The odd timing of the song only added to the feel that it was more of an improvised "solo" rather than a structured song (what was that..? 15/16th?) Not that odd timings are bad, mind you.. I'm quite fond of 'em... but when you play odd timings, it helps to have a very solid, structured, foundational part to make it sound like you actually meant to play it that way.. :p

There were some performance issues (i.e. not tight enough playing), but if you lay in another straight git track, tweak the drums, and pan it better, it should sound pretty alright.

WATYF

Last edited:
The guitar is a bit on the harsh side. Very inspired playing though, that comes through loud and clear.

The bass and drums are not tight enough for a style of music where they have to be.

Interesting stuff though. Rush fan?

I was aboot to say the same thing... this thing is practically bleeding Rush... :D

WATYF

wow nice improvision, to the mix, it sounds like everything is clipping like crazy from my end, what are you using for your distortion. and what are you using to record with. i like your playing style its just straight forward kicking ass and if you can clean the mix up on this you will have somthing. very goos guitar playing though. there are much better ears on here than mine but they to will wanna know how and what you used. thanks for sharing tim pate. ( not jamal)

I won't monkey around, and I hope you stick around here to learn about some of the things that have been said and what I'm about to say...

The mix stunk. I'm a Rush fanatic, and don't hear it... probably because they're tight as a drum head.

Anyway, you obviously have talent and passion, so you have 2 of the 3 most important things in music already... now you need "the sound". Try some recording "exercises", record a clean lick, basic bass/drums, and see how it comes out. Then add effecting, distortion, etc. If you were to record what I just listened to the same without distortion, it would still sound aweful... the levels/gain into the (4 track?) recording device were obviously set too high, or in post-production you did something to cause the track to clip/distort... distortion on top of distortion is just a lot of muck :p .

What type of equipment are you using (besides the good shure mic)??

www.the-boogiemen.com

Thanks for the replies, good :) and bad.

I used a Montego II Home Studio and the bundled Digital Orchestra Pro software..

"...the levels/gain into the (4 track?) recording device ..."

ouch

The mic is an old shure who-knows-what, probably from the sixties. I think it's adding all the white fuzz onto the guitar, because my recording levels don't show any clippng ( i haven't bought the good shure mic yet). Maybe not though, I'm still experimenting. I'm going to get a newer mic either way.

flash2ace
it's a JCM800 channel switcher from '83.

WATYF
it's 4/4, just a lot of triplet rythms.

I had considered this more or less done (the drums were a real pain) but after reading all the comments I think I'm going to do a bit of re-mixing, dot some i's, cross t's etc...and maybe smooth out the drum track a bit before moving on.

Thanks again for listening. I hope to be hanging around for a while.

Doug H said:
WATYF
it's 4/4, just a lot of triplet rythms.
er.... :confused:

lol... I gotta just listen to the bass to hear it.... the drums are pretty "backwards" on this one. You know.. when you listen to it with a click, the bass seems to be more "on time" then the drums,.. so maybe it's just some drum tweaking that needs to be done... (I originally thought that the bass may have had more tempo issues.)

Pinky,.. the idea was that it has a lot of Rush influence,.. not that it sounded anywhere near the caliber of Rush.. ;)

WATYF

Last edited:
yikes! First let me say I like your guiatr playing-It's brutal! Sounds like your really slamming on that strat-thats the only way to get them to deliver in my opinion. I hear a few timing issues like others have said-but the main thing is your guitar tone--have you ever stuck your face in front of the speaker? the sound is alot different than your usual standing position-To me you have to take this into consideration when micing up your amp-cut a little high end and a little distortion and your sound will get bigger.Maybe.

anyway-welcome -its nice to hear a good old power trio.

Interesting...............;) The kick, bass and guitar playing together is pretty sloppy and I think that's where the looseness comes from. And, of course, on something like this it has to be very tight to work. Also, I thought there were too damned many bass drum hits. I hear what you were going for but when you have the kick playing every single tiny bass flourish....it just gets too busy to ever have any sort of groove. Plus the bass doesn't get any chance to seperate itself from the other two. Those are the issues I'd work on first because it's hard to tell what's muddy....the mix or the confusion cause by the looseness of all those notes bouncing off each other.

I can't add a whole lot to what others have said. I might recommend that you NOT listen to this song for a week or a couple of weeks. Then come back to it and see how you feel.

I think that you'll hear that the guitar tone is not what you want. Then you can start to spend some time getting the guitar sound you want before you begin tracking.

Just thoughts...

Trip

I gave it a listen and have to applaud the sheer virtuosity of the performances. the drumming is a little on the sloppy side but sounds "pretty close." by that, I mean this sounds like a great live performance by all three parts (given that we forgive the clipping guitar and a little sloppy drumming in that scenario) but, when we all put on our studio ears, we expect these exciting variables to be considered and addressed. the ax screams but perhaps a little cleanup is in order?

just a folkie's take.

miles

Back