first time tenor sax recording

Tom Hicks

Usually I am doing guitars,bass and midi stuff so this is new for me.I recorded a buddy with a tenor sax onto a rhythm bed I'd prepared.Just blues to check out the tones.I used 5 mics initially,SM57,another dynamic cardi shure (his gig mic),the RS drum mic 33-32-30,V67 and NT1.The V67 had the best sound out of that group so I went with it.

tenor test

Hey Tom:

I listened literally 20 times in a row...seriously, you should check your playback stats...that was me.

Obviously, I didn't hear any problems. I'd have done some things differently, but those things would include putting a massive amount of distortion and delay on the horn, which would be totally out of place.

I just wanted to say, "Nice job," and I enjoyed the hell out of it...for 3 hours.

:D

i'd listen but...

...my version of Media Player can't handle this file... and nothing short of wild horses would make me download the new, deluxe, annoying, $pyware version :(

The least I can do is bump your thread.

Chad

Was it supposed to be just like 15 seconds long? It sounded awesome, but it was kind of a tease as I was settling into it...

Thanks for the mic list though. Always good to hear how who's using what. (say that 3 times fast).

Many thanks for listening or even trying to!
I have just changed the EQ on the tenor.I put a 10 dB boost at 500 Hz that seems to bring out the bottom better.I uploaded the new mix to the same link above.I had considered doing a clip with two choruses of each of the five mics I used,so you all could hear for yourselves the differences.But I liked the sound of the V67 so much better than all the rest I used only it instead.

Sluice-It's a 4 minute plus .wma file
Chad-Let me post an .mp3 version for you.I'm on dialup so it will take me a half hour from the time of this post.
Chris-Many thanks!

sax clip mp3

tom,
the track sounds good....my only complaint would be that the horn sounds a tad distant compared to the rest of the rhythm.........it feels like the sax was recorded in a pretty big room, is that right? ......it just doesn't sound as immediate as the rest of the track......by itself, the sax stands fine, it needs a little something to mesh better if you know what i'm saying

Yea it does kinda have that 60's mix/old jazz club feel :) It's prolly just the 96kbps mp3, but some serious swirly stuff is goin on on the ride cymbal.

That's a hot horn ya got there :) If this is meant to be an old-tymey feel mix, then you're fairly close. If you want something more contemporary... you'd have to lose a smidge of the room sound on the sax... and bring the piano up.

Man, upright bass sounds good in just about anything :D

Cool song :) (BTW thanks for throwin' us non-wma peons a bone ;))

Tom,
Funny, I just posted this:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=60372

Tenor sax playing into a V67. That mic loves sax!

Your recording has a bit more "space" around the sax than mine. Did you use plugins/effects?
I got some nice ambience with an ECM-8000 as a room mic. Cheap mics rule!
Bass/keys/drums sound sequenced, but nicely arranged and pretty good sounding patches. I realize you're trying to feature the sax, though. Good job.

Hi Chuck
I just quit my long-time rock band after our July 4th gig and decided to try doing jazz-flavored stuff for a change.I listened to your clip and it is very good.Sounds like a talented group of guys in your band.
As far as the technical details of the recording...The rhythm bed was programmed in Band In A Box with a standard jazz-blues progression lifted from The New Real Book.The midi patches were from my Roland JV-35 which I recorded as audio with Nuendo.The V67 smoked all the other mics in my mic test (5 mics in an array).Mic into audiobuddy into my c-port at 24 bit/44.1 K.My tracking room is small,maybe 8'X12',hardwood floors and plaster walls.I used a waves reverb plugin preset called "drum room" across the mix in CEP as well as the L1 ultramaximizer.
Thanks again for the comments,Chuck and best of luck with your band.

Back