First time mixer looking for advise - Bluegrass content

ZSteveP

I've been reading on this site for a good while trying to learn, there
is some great information here.

I know this is not your usual song style found here but any suggestions
on mix improvements for this track:

Bluegrass Country

I wouldn't say this is an uncommon tuneage for this sight at all. You got a great sound going. Great vocal. You got that high lonesome sound going on for sure. The dobro player is real good.

Sounds just about right to me. Maybe could use a little more "oopmh" in the bass, but that's very subjective.

Don

Very nice performance and recording. Sounds like a band having a good time. I like the levels and panning of the instruments - makes a good soundstage. Main vox has great personality though it's flat a times on some of those high notes - might be worth a bit of retracking.

I like the interplay between the banjo and dobro. Beautiful tone from the banjo. During the first banjo solo the rhythm isn't always tight between banjo and bass. If this was multitracked, you might be able to edit some of those bass notes to align.

Bass has a nice feel - hanging behind the beat a bit, but it's got a few other spots where it's rhythmically inconsistent that way. During the dobro solos the banjo could come out just a little more perhaps. Hey, I heard some guitar right at the end. More guitar please. :D

Very enjoyable to listen to. Makes me want to pick up my dreadnought and play some lines along.

Tim

I appreciate the feedback.

I originally had the guitar a bit louder but got a muddy sound, I guess I need to work on it's EQ so I can pump it some during the song and get it to fit.

The bass is on a seperate track so I'll test with more "oomph" and also maybe slide the whole thing forward a tad to get it closer to the beat. But with the timing issues may just do a retrack.

Thanks TrackRat, I'm playing the dobro.

Back