First time here, new rock song - "Drifter"

SmoothManeuvers

So I just "finished" mixing my lastest recording, Drifter. I didn't write it, but an old band of mine played it some years back and I wanted to redo it myself. I got as many people who were involved in the band at one point or another to sing backup for me. This is my first recording since I've started studying mixing and all that, so some criticisim would be awesome.

Check it out please at:

http://www.myspace.com/jamesporterrocks

Thanks,
James

First of we need to put your BIG EGO AWAY. Things like: "I'm a poet and didn't even think I was!" and " Me, myself and I" are simply an excuse to laugh. WNow that you're on earth again, on to the mix:

By your side
The piano panned to the left is weird, it's like having a big thing hanging from my left ear. You need to compensate it putting something to the right. I assume you're trying to recreate a live performance but it's not working.

Holding on
Too much reverb on vocals. And that reverb sounds cheap. Snare doesn't have a great sound, it seems like overcompressed. And there's too much information at 12 oclock: vox, solo guitar, keyboard. Give the instruments their own space.

My angel among angels
Bring down the volume of your keys.

Mr. Multicultural
Drums sound like... cheap drums. Horrible sound. I assume you want to copycat the Offspring-esque chord progression, right? Fail! BTW, the ride must be panned left, not center. Guitar needs more attack and punchiness.
Bass lacks definition. BG vocals should not be at 12 oclock, they're in the place fo the lead vocals.

Er... now that I realize, you only have TWO POSTS... so that means you're only posted for your own stuff and have avoided to contribute with the forum. Think about it kid.

Last edited:
First fof we need to put your BIG EGO AWAY.
Wow.. somebody's insecure about themselves a bit too much.

Anyhoo, like the sound. Song's good.
Turn down the vocals down a bit, then reverb wont need any touching since it'll be turned down as well.
The harmony vocals are perfect =]
Snare needs more beef, less "chh".
Cymbals could use more ring, so compression doesnt sound like a bad idea.
Guitars have a tid bit too much noise to them, maybe a 2-3 db cut'll do.
Kick drum could use some more clicky noise. (1-4 kHz

Nice job though, I like it =]
<33

First of we need to put your BIG EGO AWAY. Things like: "I'm a poet and didn't even think I was!" and " Me, myself and I" are simply an excuse to laugh. WNow that you're on earth again, on to the mix:

By your side
The piano panned to the left is weird, it's like having a big thing hanging from my left ear. You need to compensate it putting something to the right. I assume you're trying to recreate a live performance but it's not working.

Holding on
Too much reverb on vocals. And that reverb sounds cheap. Snare doesn't have a great sound, it seems like overcompressed. And there's too much information at 12 oclock: vox, solo guitar, keyboard. Give the instruments their own space.

My angel among angels
Bring down the volume of your keys.

Mr. Multicultural
Drums sound like... cheap drums. Horrible sound. I assume you want to copycat the Offspring-esque chord progression, right? Fail! BTW, the ride must be panned left, not center. Guitar needs more attack and punchiness.
Bass lacks definition. BG vocals should not be at 12 oclock, they're in the place fo the lead vocals.

Er... now that I realize, you only have TWO POSTS... so that means you're only posted for your own stuff and have avoided to contribute with the forum. Think about it kid.

Wow, dude, take a deep breath and relax. Seriously. There's no big ego here. "I'm a poet and didn't even think I was" is a joke, but it's ok if you don't get it. And I suppose instead of "Me, myself, and I" maybe I could add in some fake band members. Perhaps Randy, Mandy, and Candy? How about Fred, Ted, and Ned? But that wouldn't make much sense seeing as I'm the only person making these recordings. I think I'll stick with the current line-up.

Thanks for the comments on all the songs but the one I asked for commenting on. All those other songs are old recordings before I knew what I was doing and had much more limited capabilities recording. Also, I no longer have the files to do any remixing with, hense I didn't ask for help in fixing them. Thank you though.

By Your Side - The piano isn't panned to one side. Check your connection. The piano is recorded in stereo.

Holding On - You're dead on with that one. I knew little about mixing then.

An Angel Among Angels - I agree the organs are a bit louder in the mix, but that was intentional at the time merely for the sake that my late grandfather, who the song is about, was an organist.

Mr. Multi-Cultural - One of my OLDEST recordings before I knew anything other than how to multi-track and add some reverb. The drums are in fact very good drums, but all 4 mics were summed into one line plugging into the soundcard at the back of my computer. It's good you noticed the ride was panned to the center, but the whole drumset is too. No stereo there. And the very fact that you caught the chord progression as being Offspring influenced says that it indeed was a success and not a failure. Kudos. All the guitars and bass were poorly recorded with a crap mic infront of my amp. I'll give you credit though, you're right about the backing vox panning. But hey, I didn't know any better so many years ago.

Er... now that I realize it, I only joined in May of this year, so that means I've only had three days maximum so far to have posted anything. I see you joined April of '06 and have only 542 posts. That's an average of .49 a day. I've had two posts since I joined (not including this one) and that means my average is .69 a day. Looks like I'm doing a little more than you at my rate so far. But I won't hold that against you.

But really bro, lose the attitude and maybe I'd have been a little more grateful for your insight. You may actually have something good to say, but it gets lost in the whole big-headed attitude you've got going on. Think about it kid.

Rock on,
James

Anyhoo, like the sound. Song's good.
Turn down the vocals down a bit, then reverb wont need any touching since it'll be turned down as well.
The harmony vocals are perfect =]
Snare needs more beef, less "chh".
Cymbals could use more ring, so compression doesnt sound like a bad idea.
Guitars have a tid bit too much noise to them, maybe a 2-3 db cut'll do.
Kick drum could use some more clicky noise. (1-4 kHz

Nice job though, I like it =]
<33

Hey Grape, thanks for the comments. I'll try to do some of the tweaking you suggested and see how it sounds. This is my first song since I've started really studying mixing and all, so I've spent tooooo much time on it and have began to make myself sick of it lol. Everything I read and learned I had to try in it. But it's good to have done so. It's already the best recording I've ever done so I'm encouraged with what I've learned. It's great to hear more suggestions though because there's always more to learn. Thanks again!

Rock on,
James

It's about quality, check the rep. power. Luck.

It's actually about being community driven and not being such a dick to people. You commented on every tune but the one he asked you to and it just seems like you were looking for something to bitch about. If the dude only had 2 posts then why not just let others who are more positive deal with it and wait until he reaches a level of posts you want to deal with. We decide our own level of involvement. And don't be talking all this crap about quality....in case you didn't notice: Me. Posts: 75....Rep Power: 80245. You. Posts: 546

Back