Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: First time here, new rock song - "Drifter"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    First time here, new rock song - "Drifter"

    Sign in to disable this ad
    So I just "finished" mixing my lastest recording, Drifter. I didn't write it, but an old band of mine played it some years back and I wanted to redo it myself. I got as many people who were involved in the band at one point or another to sing backup for me. This is my first recording since I've started studying mixing and all that, so some criticisim would be awesome.

    Check it out please at:

    http://www.myspace.com/jamesporterrocks

    Thanks,
    James

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lima, Perú
    Age
    37
    Posts
    850
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    426835
    First of we need to put your BIG EGO AWAY. Things like: "I'm a poet and didn't even think I was!" and " Me, myself and I" are simply an excuse to laugh. WNow that you're on earth again, on to the mix:

    By your side
    The piano panned to the left is weird, it's like having a big thing hanging from my left ear. You need to compensate it putting something to the right. I assume you're trying to recreate a live performance but it's not working.

    Holding on
    Too much reverb on vocals. And that reverb sounds cheap. Snare doesn't have a great sound, it seems like overcompressed. And there's too much information at 12 oclock: vox, solo guitar, keyboard. Give the instruments their own space.

    My angel among angels
    Bring down the volume of your keys.

    Mr. Multicultural
    Drums sound like... cheap drums. Horrible sound. I assume you want to copycat the Offspring-esque chord progression, right? Fail! BTW, the ride must be panned left, not center. Guitar needs more attack and punchiness.
    Bass lacks definition. BG vocals should not be at 12 oclock, they're in the place fo the lead vocals.

    Er... now that I realize, you only have TWO POSTS... so that means you're only posted for your own stuff and have avoided to contribute with the forum. Think about it kid.
    Last edited by killthepixelnow; 05-03-2009 at 12:58.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    41422
    Quote Originally Posted by killthepixelnow View Post
    First fof we need to put your BIG EGO AWAY.
    Wow.. somebody's insecure about themselves a bit too much.


    Anyhoo, like the sound. Song's good.
    Turn down the vocals down a bit, then reverb wont need any touching since it'll be turned down as well.
    The harmony vocals are perfect =]
    Snare needs more beef, less "chh".
    Cymbals could use more ring, so compression doesnt sound like a bad idea.
    Guitars have a tid bit too much noise to them, maybe a 2-3 db cut'll do.
    Kick drum could use some more clicky noise. (1-4 kHz

    Nice job though, I like it =]
    <33

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by killthepixelnow View Post
    First of we need to put your BIG EGO AWAY. Things like: "I'm a poet and didn't even think I was!" and " Me, myself and I" are simply an excuse to laugh. WNow that you're on earth again, on to the mix:

    By your side
    The piano panned to the left is weird, it's like having a big thing hanging from my left ear. You need to compensate it putting something to the right. I assume you're trying to recreate a live performance but it's not working.

    Holding on
    Too much reverb on vocals. And that reverb sounds cheap. Snare doesn't have a great sound, it seems like overcompressed. And there's too much information at 12 oclock: vox, solo guitar, keyboard. Give the instruments their own space.

    My angel among angels
    Bring down the volume of your keys.

    Mr. Multicultural
    Drums sound like... cheap drums. Horrible sound. I assume you want to copycat the Offspring-esque chord progression, right? Fail! BTW, the ride must be panned left, not center. Guitar needs more attack and punchiness.
    Bass lacks definition. BG vocals should not be at 12 oclock, they're in the place fo the lead vocals.

    Er... now that I realize, you only have TWO POSTS... so that means you're only posted for your own stuff and have avoided to contribute with the forum. Think about it kid.
    Wow, dude, take a deep breath and relax. Seriously. There's no big ego here. "I'm a poet and didn't even think I was" is a joke, but it's ok if you don't get it. And I suppose instead of "Me, myself, and I" maybe I could add in some fake band members. Perhaps Randy, Mandy, and Candy? How about Fred, Ted, and Ned? But that wouldn't make much sense seeing as I'm the only person making these recordings. I think I'll stick with the current line-up.

    Thanks for the comments on all the songs but the one I asked for commenting on. All those other songs are old recordings before I knew what I was doing and had much more limited capabilities recording. Also, I no longer have the files to do any remixing with, hense I didn't ask for help in fixing them. Thank you though.

    By Your Side - The piano isn't panned to one side. Check your connection. The piano is recorded in stereo.

    Holding On - You're dead on with that one. I knew little about mixing then.

    An Angel Among Angels - I agree the organs are a bit louder in the mix, but that was intentional at the time merely for the sake that my late grandfather, who the song is about, was an organist.

    Mr. Multi-Cultural - One of my OLDEST recordings before I knew anything other than how to multi-track and add some reverb. The drums are in fact very good drums, but all 4 mics were summed into one line plugging into the soundcard at the back of my computer. It's good you noticed the ride was panned to the center, but the whole drumset is too. No stereo there. And the very fact that you caught the chord progression as being Offspring influenced says that it indeed was a success and not a failure. Kudos. All the guitars and bass were poorly recorded with a crap mic infront of my amp. I'll give you credit though, you're right about the backing vox panning. But hey, I didn't know any better so many years ago.

    Er... now that I realize it, I only joined in May of this year, so that means I've only had three days maximum so far to have posted anything. I see you joined April of '06 and have only 542 posts. That's an average of .49 a day. I've had two posts since I joined (not including this one) and that means my average is .69 a day. Looks like I'm doing a little more than you at my rate so far. But I won't hold that against you.

    But really bro, lose the attitude and maybe I'd have been a little more grateful for your insight. You may actually have something good to say, but it gets lost in the whole big-headed attitude you've got going on. Think about it kid.

    Rock on,
    James
    Gateway GM5664
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
    3GB Ram

    ProTools LE 8
    Mbox 2
    M-Audio Axiom 61

    [url]http://www.myspace.com/JamesPorterRocks[/url]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape View Post
    Anyhoo, like the sound. Song's good.
    Turn down the vocals down a bit, then reverb wont need any touching since it'll be turned down as well.
    The harmony vocals are perfect =]
    Snare needs more beef, less "chh".
    Cymbals could use more ring, so compression doesnt sound like a bad idea.
    Guitars have a tid bit too much noise to them, maybe a 2-3 db cut'll do.
    Kick drum could use some more clicky noise. (1-4 kHz

    Nice job though, I like it =]
    <33
    Hey Grape, thanks for the comments. I'll try to do some of the tweaking you suggested and see how it sounds. This is my first song since I've started really studying mixing and all, so I've spent tooooo much time on it and have began to make myself sick of it lol. Everything I read and learned I had to try in it. But it's good to have done so. It's already the best recording I've ever done so I'm encouraged with what I've learned. It's great to hear more suggestions though because there's always more to learn. Thanks again!

    Rock on,
    James
    Gateway GM5664
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
    3GB Ram

    ProTools LE 8
    Mbox 2
    M-Audio Axiom 61

    [url]http://www.myspace.com/JamesPorterRocks[/url]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lima, Perú
    Age
    37
    Posts
    850
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    426835
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothManeuvers View Post
    I see you joined April of '06 and have only 542 posts. That's an average of .49 a day. I've had two posts since I joined (not including this one) and that means my average is .69 a day.
    It's about quality, check the rep. power. Luck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by killthepixelnow View Post
    It's about quality, check the rep. power. Luck.
    Dude, the point was I had only been here for almost 3 days. Haven't had the time yet to get half a thousand posts under my belt. If you're going to rag on someone for something like that, make sure you've done all your research first.
    Gateway GM5664
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
    3GB Ram

    ProTools LE 8
    Mbox 2
    M-Audio Axiom 61

    [url]http://www.myspace.com/JamesPorterRocks[/url]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    3808788
    It's about quality, check the rep. power. Luck.
    It's actually about being community driven and not being such a dick to people. You commented on every tune but the one he asked you to and it just seems like you were looking for something to bitch about. If the dude only had 2 posts then why not just let others who are more positive deal with it and wait until he reaches a level of posts you want to deal with. We decide our own level of involvement. And don't be talking all this crap about quality....in case you didn't notice: Me. Posts: 75....Rep Power: 80245. You. Posts: 546
    Rep Power: 47649. Its just numbers. Chill.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new hard rock melodic song "The Travel song"
    By GONZO-X in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 14:51
  2. poppy rock song w/ new acoustic "Meet Me in Belize"
    By SnakeDog5050 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 19:37
  3. Mix advice wanted on rock song - "Time Time Time"
    By FattMusiek in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 22:00
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 23:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •