first song by me... "There is More"

Jotosuds

hi guys. i'm a lurker, that has come out to post. this is my first song i recorded. i don't think you guys will like it, because it's pretty generic pop/rock. but i like the words, of course, cuz i wrote them. :) the song is about how life sometimes just doesn't seem good enough. i hope you can relate and express your comments and criticism.

thanks a lot!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2611&alid=-1

I can't hear any bass, and the vocals are a bit shakey. Sorry! I think you should sing this with all you've got. It sounds as though you're trying to sing quietly...like everyone in the house is asleep. Dig down and get confidence...you have a good quality to your voice, but you're holding back. I had a hard time understanding the lyrics. Keep working at it!!

yes i agree TURN THOSE VOCALS UP i know its the hardest thing in the world to do ....WE ALLWENT THROUGH IT ..lol....ok it gets a little better....ok heres more...take the drums and switch THAT level mixwise with the guitar....that will help this tons and its an easy fix...i like your voice btw.....how long have you been singing?..you need to well EXACTLY like you do in the chorus sing the whole thing like that i know you want it quiet ...just turn it down..on the verses ..what i can hear of the giutar sound is pretty nice as well...can you do a quick level adjustment and repost it?...

it'll be worth it......trust me:D:D

jamal

cool!

dudes! thanks! yeah, it could use a lot more touching up, but man, i didn't get any, "man, you suck" comments!!! awesome! yeah, the vocals are pretty shaky Sydfan. i was just itching to post something and burn something :) cool!

so Jamal, you think i should turn down the drums, and turn up the guitar? and louder vocals ehh? they just sound so... loud if i turn them up more. oh well. i'll try it!

thanks again guys!!

Man, You Suck!!!

Not really, I just had to say that.

If I were you I would put on a CD that I think has a similar style. Then switch back and fourth with your song and the CD.

Listen to one instrument at a time and try to copy the mix. Same with the voice. Don't listen to it as your song, but instead as a balancing, copying sort of exercise.

Although there is room for improvement in quality I think a better mix would improve what you have already.

Nice

Joe

Hey man...welcome out of the shadows, lol.

I haven't read any of the replies, but I saw that Jamal has replied...here's my advice...IGNORE WHATEVER JAMAL SAID, lol.

Okay, the vocal was low in the beginning, then it gets too loud. There's a wonderful technique called "compression" that will make your life a LOT easier. If I'm speaking "below" you, forgive me...but it seems obvious to me that you didn't use any on the vocal...how are you recording? If this ends up in a computer at any point, you can compress it after the fact. It'll make the quiet parts louder, and the louder parts quieter...so the vocal level doesn't JUMP out at you like it does on parts of this.

This'll make me sound like a dick, but can you hear where you're singing flat? If you can, then I've got some tips. If you can't hear it, then I've still got some tips, lol.

Guits don't really sound that bad...but for an acoustic, I totally prefer mic'ing it instead of the direct in approach.

It takes guts to throw your heart and soul into the cold clutches of a bunch of recording geeks...so I'll conclude with YEEESSSSSS!!!

Let us know how you're tracking.
Chris

Re: cool!

Jotosuds said:
dudes! thanks! yeah, it could use a lot more touching up, but man, i didn't get any, "man, you suck" comments!!! awesome! yeah, the vocals are pretty shaky Sydfan. i was just itching to post something and burn something :) cool!

so Jamal, you think i should turn down the drums, and turn up the guitar? and louder vocals ehh? they just sound so... loud if i turn them up more. oh well. i'll try it!

thanks again guys!!

I think the extra volume on the vocals need to come from you, not the fader....just to clarify and add my opinion at the same time.
Keep on gettin up dude, you got a good start. There were some constructive comments that will help.

bd

What everyone said about the vox/bass/mix and you don't suck half as bad as you think.This is chick music but what gets you laid is what gets you laid.After this song gets you a girl and she destroys you emotionally then you can write an angry song,then when you try to get her back you can write another one of these cheezpop song and then emotionally destroy her with another angry one.See...?Isn't music fun and educational?I liked it,but it sounds like a first recording and not a half bad one.Keep it up,there are alot of great ears here as you'll soon learn.Good subject matter and lyrics.There is talent there it just needs to blossom.Good Luck!

thanks all for the comments!

yeah, it's definitely not very polished, and my singing is pretty sorry. i'll definitely try to fix it up a lot. cheezpop! haha! that's exactly how i would describe it.

about the compression:

what settings should i use? i'm using the Cool Edit dynamics processing plug in. it has compress, expand and flat settings, with the attack and release settings. it also has a graphic display. so what settings should i set it at? i should expand from 10db below? and compress from 4 db above? i don't know how to use it at all really.. and the attack and release settings! don't you want 0ms of attack, but how much release do you need? i used one of the presets.

so you guys think the sound quality is somewhat decent? i'm just plugging my guitar and mic into the mic in on my computer soundcard. i'm using a 9.99 radio shack mic too. :(
i have a sm58 now, so should i buy an audiobuddy? would my sound quality improve a lot? the noise would significatly reduce, right?

sorry for the long post. thanks again guys!

Back